Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

Pip

A-List Customer
KD4 - Worcestershire UK

Spent about 7 years in it, from Beavers, through Cubs to Scouts. Made Senior Sixer and Senior Patrol Leader :D One of the best parts of my life haha.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Betty does the Girl Scouts...

girlscout.JPG

And being sworn in as a Boy Scout...

boyscout.JPG

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I was in the Cub Scouts for a while--my mother was a Den Leader. Meetings were after school at the Den Leader's house, so on meeting days you'd see boys in uniform at school. (Can you imagine an elementary school student with an official Cub Scout folding knife hanging from their uniform belt in school today?) Dropped out somewhere along the line. That would have been in the late 60s, early 70s.

Got into Boy Scouts, but that didn't go far. The troop I was in was made up of only a handful of people, with a Scoutmaster who didn't really have time for it. At Second Class I was the highest ranking Scout in the troop! I didn't get any farther.

This was in South Gate, a suburb of Los Angeles. There was an area at one corner of South Gate Park that was fenced off from the rest of the park with a pretty neat rock wall. There were a bunch of small buildings, each one belonging to a different troop, that were naturally referred to as "Scout Huts." They were set up in a U pattern. There was a huge fire ring inside the U. I recall going out on one campout (a gathering of troops) and to a Jamboree. Unfortunately, with no adult leadership the troop just faded away.

I remember reading the Scout Handbook cover-to-cover, wanting desperately to be able to learn and do a lot of what it talked about regarding camping, hiking, etc.

My godson and his older brother were involved in Scouts in southern Oregon, but James dropped out. I'd hoped to get him back into it after retiring from the AF by getting involved with it as well, but wound up delaying my retirement and then retiring to Ohio rather than Oregon. :( His brother stuck with it, though, and recently made Eagle Scout. Will went to Philmont last summer, IIRC.

Cheers,
Tom

Big Man

Tango Yankee said:
... on meeting days you'd see boys in uniform at school. (Can you imagine an elementary school student with an official Cub Scout folding knife hanging from their uniform belt in school today?) ...

Same thing here. On meeting day, all of the boys would wear their uniforms to school. And the knife, well EVERY boy had a pocket knife in school. We never dreamed of them being a "weapon", it was just a knife for sharpening pencils or cutting sticks or whatever.

Times sure have changed ... [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
Posted this before but here it is again.

I dropped by The Vintage Sportsman forum
http://vintagesportsman.com/
earlier this evening and read a short thread about camping with a hammock. It brought to mind this watercolor by Lord Robert S.S. Baden-Powell c. 1911. He certainly knew how to make himself at home in the great outdoors.

3355905770_10ab3e0a1d.jpg

Vintage Betty, I'm happy to see that you shared Scouting with your Dad.
boyscout.JPG

Gentleman Farmer, I've been to Philmont twice. The first time was for my Wood Badge course. The second was as Scoutmaster on our Troop's Trek.

Spitfire, Both you and your Dad have shared a long history in Scouting. There must be some wonderful memorabilia between the two of you. Is there a chance that we might see some pictures?

Finally, My daughter is in the midst of Girl Scout Cookie sales. The girls are raising money for Summer Camp. My daughter has been for the past three years and seems to enjoy it as much as her brother enjoyed Boy Scout Camp (in any season). He earned his Eagle and I hope she earns her Gold Award. Can you tell that we like Scouting?

Old School QD

New in Town
I took part in scouting for 7 years, starting with Beavers, then Wolf Cub, then Boy Scouts (Canadian scouting levels). I also tagged along on a couple Ventures events afterwards, but was not a member at the time.

At one point there were only 3 courts in my troop, but at the best there were 15 or 20. I barely remember the regular meetings, but I fondly remember the outings we had. One leader had a cottage in the woods on a lake only a 1/2 day bicycl ride from our meeting hall (school gym). Guess how we got to camp?

So we would stay in the cabin, but we also had "survival" camps in the nearby woods where we couldn't bring food or tents. We focussed on fishing with only a line (no rod) and a hook, or snaring rabbits, collecting water from vegetation and building shelters. Great fun! Of course, we had traditional camp outs in tents as well at different parks. Yes, I miss scouting. Perhaps I will get back into it as a leader when my boys are old enough to start.

Old School QD

New in Town
Big Man said:
Same thing here. On meeting day, all of the boys would wear their uniforms to school. And the knife, well EVERY boy had a pocket knife in school. We never dreamed of them being a "weapon", it was just a knife for sharpening pencils or cutting sticks or whatever.

Times sure have changed ... [huh]

I couldn't agree more. Sure we had fights in our high school (early 1990's), but the ubiquitous pocket knife was never used. It was a tool as you say. I've been thinking I should start carrying one again.

Tim

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
We've also got an Eagles thread somewhere here - maybe in the Golden Era.

Eagle, 1994, Troop 630.

Undertow

Troop 77 - I don't recall my rank, I was kicked out.

My troop spent 95% of the time watching the older scouts playing Advanced Dungeons&Dragons while the younger ones, myself included, were forced to sit around the campsite and literally do nothing. Occassionally, we were graced with a hike or a badge, but after years of this waste, I got a wild hare and started "hiking" away with other scouts to explore the woods and grounds around us.

This was simply too much for the Scout leaders and I was eiminated from the roster. It seems unfair, but I suppose it's a matter of perspective; the older scouts very much enjoyed playing AD&D all day and night for three days straight. [huh]

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Be prepared

Be prepared is the number one biggest thing I took from Girl Scouts.

My Mom is crazy for Girl Scouts, she and my Aunt even went to a Alumni Scout Camporee a few years back.

I did Brownies through Cadettes but my favorite part was working on Junior Badges. I hated camping even then.

My BFF was myy girls have been Daisys and Brownie leader so I was required to be the co-leader/extra adult. Then we moved away and my kids moved on to other sorts of extracurricular activities. My heart wasn't broken I was done dealing with cookie sales.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Troop 77 - I don't recall my rank, I was kicked out.

My troop spent 95% of the time watching the older scouts playing Advanced Dungeons&Dragons while the younger ones, myself included, were forced to sit around the campsite and literally do nothing. Occassionally, we were graced with a hike or a badge, but after years of this waste, I got a wild hare and started "hiking" away with other scouts to explore the woods and grounds around us.

This was simply too much for the Scout leaders and I was eiminated from the roster. It seems unfair, but I suppose it's a matter of perspective; the older scouts very much enjoyed playing AD&D all day and night for three days straight. [huh]
Aside from being there, there was no [apparent] Leadership provided by the adults involved. It's hard to say without having been there.

I'm sure the older scouts enjoyed camping and playing AD&D but this scenario wouldn't bode well for the long-term success of any scout troop. The worst thing one can do with a bunch of boys is to take them somewhere, provide no planned activities, and let them get bored. They need to be engaged in a well-planned and executed outdoor experience. And...they should have fun doing it.

"The boy is not governed by don't ,but is led by do.” Lord Robert S.S. Baden-Powell

"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it." Solomon, Proverbs 22:6

Foofoogal

Banned
My son was an Order of the Arrow and made it to First Class scout. I was so mad when he quit due to peer pressure. Remember the night he had to stay in the woods all by himself. (that will make a man out of anyone)
My husband was Scoutmaster (I think if I remember also Order of the Arrow) and I used to go camping with the troop. I had a blast watching those boys plus they had to cook for me (silver turtles anyone) . Hilarious fun. One of the best organizations.
Many people collect vintage Boy Scout memorabilia.

I cannot imagine any leader letting the boys sit around playing video games. We kept them so busy during the day all they wanted to do was pass out in the tents.
One time when my son was in cub scouts we lost him at the Astrodome at a Jamboree in Houston. Try finding about a 9 year old in a sea of 9 year olds all dressed the same. I was a wee bit frantic.
I was involved with our daughter in Girl Scouts but the group or bunch we were with were pitiful.
I have bought and eaten so many Girl Scout cookies lately I try to hide from them. Those things are dangerous. How many Thin Mints can one eat? lol

Undertow

carter said:
The worst thing one can do with a bunch of boys is to take them somewhere, provide no planned activities, and let them get bored. They need to be engaged in a well-planned and executed outdoor experience. And...they should have fun doing it.

Isn't that the truth!

I can definitely see how my fellow scouts and I seemed like little demons; if I were an adult trying to manage a group of bored-to-tears boys who kept running away and getting lost in the forest, I would be paranoid, too.

I think you hit the nail on the head Carter; you can't throw a group of young boys together with nothing to do and hope they won't go insane with boredom.

In fact, the only time I think we had much fun, or did anything of note was under the command of a Girl Scout leader who felt sorry for our troop and took over for a night. [huh]

der schneider

One of the Regulars
2 4 6 8 who do we apprieciate?!

DEN 4 DEN 4 DEN 4

cub scout pack 133 then BSA 485 great fun lots of camping canoeing sailing . I quit after we moved to the country.

Later became a scoutmaster with my friend who I had to talk into joining scouts as a kid. we were patrol leaders as boys and scoutmaster's as adults.

When my son was old enough we did cubs webelos and scouts.
sea base but never philmont. Sea base was a great adventure!!

I still sew patches on scout uniforms and my buddy is still scout master but now he is at troop 133 where I started years ago.

a lot has changed. I dont like the new uniforms with the media pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner