Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle in the 30's and 40's

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Today the Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper has issued it's final print edition. The paper will now transition to a web-only or digital distribution model in an attempt to survive the 21st century.

As part of it's historic retrospective, seattlepi.com has posted a number of photo galleries showing Seattle history from the 30's through the present day. As the new site moves forward, I hope to see much more of the papers 164 year historical record present in this way.

The first gallery can be found here, with links directing you to more.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Wow. People in places like New York or LA are going to be surprised there even was a Seattle in the 30s and 40s, and that it was a big city with buildings and shiny cars and not a lumber camp full of red plaid shirts.

6211937_86.5_streetcar_crash.jpg

Streetcar derailment, January 8, 1937. This could have been taken in Queens or Brooklyn.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Its funny, but believe it or not I've actually been wondering lately what Seattle (and other Pacific Northwest cities) looked like in the first half of the 20th Century. Thanks for answering my question!

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
As a Seattle Resident, I really could care less if the PI folds. If they put out news that was worth anything they wouldn't have this problem. Instead it's local fluff, and whatever comes over the wire.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Madcap72 said:
As a Seattle Resident, I really could care less if the PI folds. If they put out news that was worth anything they wouldn't have this problem. Instead it's local fluff, and whatever comes over the wire.

As a fellow washinton-ian I'd like to also complain about the stupidity of the P-I.

I can't remember precisely but was that the one who had the headline about that cat getting stuck in a bag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany