Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seer Sucker details

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Cookie:

I don't think the Brooks SS is quite the "sack" variety, which can make the finest physique look like, well, a sack. And let's not even discuss what the sack suit does to someone who hasn't been to the gym in a while!

The jacket in the Brooks SS is slightly tapered, as are the (pleated) pants. Someone should tell BB to offer non-pleated pants with its SS suits.

And, yes, Brooks is more than happy to alter its products. As I recall, hemming and waist alterations are free; other services, such as cuffs, or taking in or letting out the seat of trousers, cost extra.

For more information, click here: http://www.brooksbrothers.com

undertaker

Practically Family
What a Deal....

I was at the mall just yesterday and while passing through I saw a couple of seersucker suits made by Stafford. They were on the clearence rack and were some leftovers from last summer that originally sold for $300.00. They are three button ventless coats with plain front trousers and an extra pair of solid trousers that match the stripe. They had two in my size, a navy/cream and a green/cream. I took them to the register and was plesently surprised when I found out they were marker down even further to a mere $23.99 each. Needless to say I bought the two in my size. They were almost as cheap as an original.:D

Regards,
J.S.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
undertaker said:
I was at the mall just yesterday and while passing through I saw a couple of seersucker suits made by Stafford. They were on the clearence rack and were some leftovers from last summer that originally sold for $300.00. They are three button ventless coats with plain front trousers and an extra pair of solid trousers that match the stripe. They had two in my size, a navy/cream and a green/cream. I took them to the register and was plesently surprised when I found out they were marker down even further to a mere $23.99 each. Needless to say I bought the two in my size. They were almost as cheap as an original.:D

Regards,
J.S.

That's awesome! Did they have any in 40R? If you're back that way, I could use one! :p

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
Ah, no worries, thanks anyway. Stafford is a JC Penney brand, right? I might have to see if there's one nearby and stop in.

yes, it's a penny's brand and those who buy their suits from there do not buy seer suckers. ever. That said, it's a good thing for all those that DO want seersuckers because when they're clearanced out, they're clearanced DEEPLY. Last time they had a REAL clearance (not a marketing ploy) they were going for 99 cents each. Also if u ever happen to be lucky enough to pass by when they're having a REAL clearance...TAKE ALL THE TIES. 47 cents or less each.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, summer...

Here were some seersucker outings in my Haspel purchased from Sierra Trading Post:

061506seersucker1fw.jpg

seersucker090306pk3.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I have a 3-piece 1970s seersucker suit that I wear once in a long while (and before you cringe, it's not too 70s looking). lol

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
thunderw21 said:
it appears to be some kind of a linen. The fabric is very light and definitely not polyester.
Does it wrinkle like linen? Seersucker, which is usually 100% cotton, and linen both wrinkle if you even look at 'em wrong. It could be a blend like wool/linen/mohair, which has a linen look with a fraction of the wrinkles.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Does it wrinkle like linen? Seersucker, which is usually 100% cotton, and linen both wrinkle if you even look at 'em wrong. It could be a blend like wool/linen/mohair, which has a linen look with a fraction of the wrinkles.

Nope, it doesn't wrinkle like a mofo like 100% cotton or linen. You're probably right about the blend then.

Nowadays would you call this a seersucker suit or something else?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
It's just a summer suit in a striped pattern. Seersucker has a very particular definition--it's a cloth made of cotton where the warp threads are woven in alternating bands of slack and normal tension. The slack-tensioned threads cause the puckering that is characteristic to seersucker.

Orgetorix said:
It's just a summer suit in a striped pattern. Seersucker has a very particular definition--it's a cloth made of cotton where the warp threads are woven in alternating bands of slack and normal tension. The slack-tensioned threads cause the puckering that is characteristic to seersucker.

:arated: from the seersucker city.

It can come in a plethora of colors now days. I'm quite fond of my pink & my multi-colored (pink, blue, green & yellow striping), and I wear them, either as whole suits, or odd jackets, quite often in the warmer (relative) time of the year.

Tomasso said:

Seersucker is, by definition, cotton. But because of the way the fabric behaves (see above), wrinkles usually fall.

Like linen, though, the wrinkles are part of the seersucker charm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn