Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Pattern Central

retromom147

One of the Regulars
helvissa said:
Retromom, that set looks fantastic! Might have a go at doing those diagonal lines.

For some reason the diagonall lines worked so much better for me 'cause I already have a deep side part in my hair. It's not lumpy or kinky in the back either. It also takes half the time to brush out. The alternating lines is what did the trick for me though....all the curls interlock and form waves. This was my favorite set!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
My "general/everyday" pattern

I have a "regular" setting pattern I use 99% of the time, and I do the same with any kind of roller and curling iron(when my hair was shorter.. bob length)

I'll post the set and the do afterward. I find that with this set, I can wear it down and curly, and when it is longer, it is easy to throw the sides up into rolls. The bangs, depending on the length, you can brush backward, forward or sideways, and it works all ways. It's just a matter of playing with it, and seeing what you like best for the day.

Short hair:
rollers.jpg

100_3204.jpg

reddecember.jpg

Long Hair:
The same set, with bigger rollers looks like this. (I just did a forward roll with bang this time and brushed them back when it was short.)

100_4106.jpg

MJrules

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
reddecember.jpg

Long Hair:
The same set, with bigger rollers looks like this. (I just did a forward roll with bang this time and brushed them back when it was short.)

100_4106.jpg

!!!Drool!!! So shiny...and red...and shiny...and pretty...and shiny...must...have...Red's...hair!!!
Roughly what size and shape is the bang section? Also, do you use Lottabody as well? I was thinking I could use mousse? Oh, and I love your hair ;) !

~*Red*~

Practically Family
MJrules said:
!!!Drool!!! So shiny...and red...and shiny...and pretty...and shiny...must...have...Red's...hair!!!
Roughly what size and shape is the bang section? Also, do you use Lottabody as well? I was thinking I could use mousse? Oh, and I love your hair ;) !

Thanks! I do not use lottabody, because it doesn't spray correctly, and it's a pain to use. In the red hair pic, I did actually use a little bit of Lottabody, but really, it was so small and insignificant of an amount, because of the whole spraying debacle. lol And in the dark hair, I'm pretty sure I just used royal crown hair dressing. My thick hair, loves the stuff.
When my hair is wet, I use a little (really no bigger than a dime size for my whole head) and I smooth it on my wet hair.

I would go ahead an use a mousse if you have one. I use Motions now, and I found some curl spray from Iso Plus 24.. In the african american hair section. You can find Motions there too. I don't use too much though, because my hair tends to be dry and the ends will frizz alot. My hair holds a curl pretty good.

After I take out my curls, and brush, I always always always use royal crown again and smooth over my hair, especially the ends. That's why it's so shiny. I wouldn't recommend it though if you have thin or fine hair.

Oh I almost forgot about the bang...
for the forward roll, It ended up being a tight curl (for me). I think I coaxed it out to the size of a 1" barrel of a curling iron? Maybe 1.5" ? Is that what you meant?

MissHannah

One Too Many
Man I wish I could put rollers in more successfully - mine are always such a hodge-podge! Your hair looks SUPER-gorgeous Miss Red.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
I have a "regular" setting pattern I use 99% of the time, and I do the same with any kind of roller and curling iron(when my hair was shorter.. bob length)

I'll post the set and the do afterward. I find that with this set, I can wear it down and curly, and when it is longer, it is easy to throw the sides up into rolls. The bangs, depending on the length, you can brush backward, forward or sideways, and it works all ways. It's just a matter of playing with it, and seeing what you like best for the day.

Short hair:
rollers.jpg

100_3204.jpg

reddecember.jpg

Long Hair:

100_4106.jpg

Beautiful hair Red! It looks so shiny and healthy. I have a hard time achieving the lift in the front (like in your first picture) despite lots of backcombing and hairspray. It always just falls flat.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Blondie said:
Thanks RetroMom,
Great hairdo,
Your hair is so long and looks thick too,
So how do you get your pincurls to stay put ?

I use Motions at home foaming wrap lotion...I found it in Target in the ethnic hair isle. It works great!

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:
Retromom, thanks so much for posting this! Did you put all of them in yourself? I'm still terrible at doing the back of my head.
Audrey, I'm not great either but I'm getting better. I will do a tutorial and post it here soon, probably tomorrow as I'm setting my hair again tonight before bed. I have a few tricks, and the diagonal lines give your tired arms a rest.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Oooh, thanks for the tips Red! I've got sponge rollers in right now and depending how nice or fugly they come out, I may or may not post the end results.
About the bangs, before you put it in the curlers, how big is the chunk of hair? Is it like a rectangle of hair above the forehead that you just section off with curlers?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
MJrules said:
Oooh, thanks for the tips Red! I've got sponge rollers in right now and depending how nice or fugly they come out, I may or may not post the end results.
About the bangs, before you put it in the curlers, how big is the chunk of hair? Is it like a rectangle of hair above the forehead that you just section off with curlers?

Your welcome MJrules!:D

Yes, I had a rectangle section above the forehead, probably about 4 inches long, and I sectioned them the width (diameter) of the roller. The brown hair I used the green sponge rollers...medium?

Sarah Louise said:
Beautiful hair Red! It looks so shiny and healthy. I have a hard time achieving the lift in the front (like in your first picture) despite lots of backcombing and hairspray. It always just falls flat.

Thanks! It's the royal crown.;) lol One trick for lift, is to roll it so that the roller is sitting directly ontop of the section, or even just a little farther behind the section. Now that my bangs are much longer (down to my mouth) I find they fall more easily than before. In my red picture, my bangs were pretty short.. not much past my eyebrows. Good luck!:D

Thanks RetroBabyDoll and Miss Hannah! I'll be honest, the longer it gets the harder it is for me, especially in the back. I think I'm in that crap middle stage. But, it gets easier with every roll.;) Keep it up and you'lll have hodge podge no more! :D

SarahLouise

Practically Family
OK ladies I really need some help with forming the front wave! I can't seem to get my hair to go backwards or away from my face, it just falls forward or completely separates itself from the rest of my hair. My grown out fringe is just past my chin and my hair is cut into a page boy style so that's where the layers start. Is that the problem - the hair is too short and needs to be grown out, or am I not setting it correctly? Here are some examples of what I mean where the front is 'away' from the face:

266966.jpg

178222.jpg

32.jpg

I found these setting patterns and will try them out -

hairpatternfront.jpg

Any tips would be much appreciated! :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Sarah Louise, The setting pattern on the right would be better, as it sets the hair to go back more. The one on the left, since you hair is long, and probably heavy, it would fall forward more.

Try setting with a backwards diagonal motion. Away from the part and the face.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck!

MissS

A-List Customer
Oooh, SarahLouise, I love these hairstyles! Can you please post your setting pattern for the rest of the head? And piccies of how yours turned out?

And Red, I'm coveting your hair in your long hair set picture! (I think I need a green with envy icon...) It's so so fabulous! My hair is longer than yours (just to the bust), but I might give your set a go anyway to see how it looks!

Silly question from a beginner...when you put your rollers in the back of your hair, do you start from the top and work your way to the bottom, or section from the bottom and work your way to the top? And what are the rollers you're using? I haven't seen any like those here downunder!

Eeeei, sorry for the long posts and all the questions..!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
MissS said:
And Red, I'm coveting your hair in your long hair set picture! (I think I need a green with envy icon...) It's so so fabulous! My hair is longer than yours (just to the bust), but I might give your set a go anyway to see how it looks!

Silly question from a beginner...when you put your rollers in the back of your hair, do you start from the top and work your way to the bottom, or section from the bottom and work your way to the top? And what are the rollers you're using? I haven't seen any like those here downunder!

Eeeei, sorry for the long posts and all the questions..!

No worries! Your hair turned out so beautiful in the show your hair do thread!

The rollers I use are plastic rollers, sometimes called "magnetic" rollers. They are the ones that come with the "c" shaped clip. Some don't have them and you use clippies to hold them in place. I like these, they are easy for me to use on myself. I don't know what they carry down under, but the lovely aussie women on here may have some good suggestions!

As for when I roll the back, I start at the top and work my way down. After awhile, you get to know how much you are grabbing by feel. It just takes practice.

Good luck and show us how it comes out when you try it! ;)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Sarah Louise - for me it helps to kind of coil the curled front section with the side section into a large ringlet (well, no, not really a ringlet, but I don't know else to describe it) so that the two sections interlock (I think that's how Deanna wears it in the picture you posted. At least it could be).
It's by no means an authentic technique or anything, just something I discovered while goofing around, so it's probably not much help ... :)

MissHannah

One Too Many
SarahLouise, my fringe is quite a bit shorter than yours as I've only been growing it out for a few months but I always put mine in a roller, rolled backwards away from my face. That would make sure the roots at least were heading away from your forehead! The rest of it can then coil off to the side when you take the roller out.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice ladies. I do usually set the front away from my face but it always falls forward regardless. I tried the pattern on the right that I posted and it kind of works but it still doesn't look quite right. My problem is that the front part just doesn't want to integrate with the rest of my hair and it means it never looks like the photos I posted. Oh well, practise makes perfect! :p

Smuterella

One Too Many
if you are setting your hair dry and it has already dried in a forward position then that might be why it wants to come forward post-set, so to speak.

I have to put my parts in when its wet, let it dry in position so the parts stay put and then set it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran