Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sewing a patch onto an A-2

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
While in Japan I visited MASH in Osaka and picked up a repro patch of the 290th Bomb group for my Aero A-2. I forgot to ask to have it sewn on at the time. Do I need to take my jacket to a leather clothing shop or can a good alteration tailor do it? My second question is in regards to type of thread to use. I have books on original jackets but no info on this detail. Any help would be apreciated as I am hoping to apply this patch soon.
290thbombgrouppatchcloseupalte.jpg

The patch is by Eastman and is cloth. Thanks for the help, Sefton

shamus

Suspended
I went through the same questions.

It took me 3 years before I could muster up the guts to punch holes in my A2.

So I did it myself. I didn't trust anyone as I asked around and most places that do "leather work" said they glue it on first then they sew it! No way!

I found an all cotton thicker thread, in an off white as it matched the nametag thread that Aero uses. Then I used my leather awl and first poked holes all around the patch. Mine is leather not cloth.

Then Positioned it and poked the matching holes on the jacket. I only did a small section then sewed it on. I worked around it so it wouldn't move much.

The nice thing to remember is during ww2, guys in the field didn't drive to the local dry cleaner/alteration place, they did it themselves.

I'm happy with the way it turned out, although I'm going to change it soon and just re-use the holes!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info. I definately don't want any glue on my jacket...I'll see if I can either find someone to do it without the glue or try to work up the guts to do it myself. I am trying to keep it as close to the "real thing" as possible. Of course the guys in the field didn't spend a fortune on a jacket...it was issued to them to take what ever abuse would come in action or not... Thanks for your consideration. Sefton

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Sewing

Well.. Maybe I am not as aprehensive as some, but...
I would tack my Insingnias with a bit of "Shoe-Glue"
in the exact spot I wanted them on the jacket, then
run to a Vietnamese Tailor whom had a HUGE Juki
Brand sewing machine. I'd hand him my thread, he'd
place it on the machine then he'd spin it on a bobin.
He'd carefully choose his needle, We'd test run some
various stitch widths, choices made and 5 minutes later
I had my insignia sewn to my jacket....

:p

bgbdesign

New in Town
I've sewn a few patches on leather jackets and I roll a couple (depends on patch size) small pieces of tape under the patch to hold it in place. When the patch is sewn about 3/4 of the way pull the tape out with tweezers and finish sewing. glue is terrible if you ever change your mind about the patch.
all the best
bgb

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I've seen originals glued on, stitched on by hand, and machine stitched with a variety of threads. But the commonest by far is machine stitched with US Army heavy duty Olive Drab thread - the same 16oz stuff used to make the jackets. In the UK at least this would usually have been done on the base with an industrial machine.

If you want to go this route I have tons of original OD heavy thread and could send you some (contact through private messages) but you'd then need to find someone with an industrial machine. Your best bet is probably to ask Mark Moye of US Aero to do it or buy some OD or brown button thread from any haberdasher and get someone with a domestic machine to do it for you. The correct method is described by BGB above!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Consider aging the patch beforehand...

Maybe you like the new look to the patch, and that's fine. But if you want it to look more vintage, do it before stitching it on. Cold tea and an instant coffee concentrate to soak the patch in will yellow it down. A light sanding with sandpaper to rough up and break some of the threads will add to it. When it is wet from soaking up the tea/coffee, lay it flat between two flat weights (bricks or whatever's at hand), so it dries flat.

Good luck!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm really taking my time to do this so as not to screw it up! Although I don't baby my jacket at all...I wear it everyday at work where it risks being exposed to gasoline,oil,dirt,water,bird poop (I work with boats hence...seagulls:rage: ). It's been soaked in rain at least a dozen times and gets plenty of sun too. The shiny new stage is gone and it's getting a very nice broken in look so maybe I'll take Paddy's advice and age the patch. If I get the patch on I'll post some pics. Thanks! :cheers1:

Rinterstate

New in Town
Sewing nametag on?

Hi All,
I'm new to the group. Has anyone ever tried to sew a nametag on?
I have a Cooper HH A-2 that I took to a shoe repair store about 6 years ago and it took a week to have it done.That jacket no longer fits. So I purchased a US Authenic goat right before Christmas and really don't want to give it up for week.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Randy

bgbdesign

New in Town

Pretty much same as above...using tape allows you to position it and take a look in the mirror so its looks "right"
If sewing it yourself(brave) be sure to have the foot of the machine on top of the leather.
'best
bg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot