Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And...

cailinbeag said:
It could be either organdy or organza. Organdy is stiff sheer cotton, while organza is (traditionally) silk or (more commonly) synthetic. The easiest way to find out is to do a fiber burn test. Take a thin, long cutting (doesn't have to be much, just a little scrap) and light it over a metal bowl or the sink. If it burns and chars, it's a natural. The odor of burning paper means it's cotton, and the odor of burning feathers or hair means it's silk. If it burns and melts, it's synthetic. The odor of celery and a hard grey bead indicates nylon, the odor of vinegar and a hard, irregular ash is acetate, and the odor of sweet chemicals and a hard round black bead means it's polyester.

Because of the age of the fabric, regardless of the fiber content, I would recommend hand washing it. It's the least stressful method for the fabric.

Hope that helps! :)
If it is a natural fiber (cotton or silk) it will probably lose all of its stiffness when you wash it, so here's the trick to putting the stiff back into it!

Put a tablespoon of honey in a basin of water and dip it after the last rinse. Let it dry, and steam iron it into shape, or iron it dry. Not too hot!

Miss 1929

Joie DeVive said:
Thanks a bunch!! I'm guessing that what I have is Organdy from the way it burned. I hand washed it, but because of how it was stored, some of it has browned, especially along the fold lines. I'm guessing that getting it out is a lost cause, and I'll have to just cut around it, but if anyone has any ideas for getting the discoloration out, that would be fabulous.

Also one more weird question, I also bought a small piece of white velvet at the same sale (probably no more than 12"x16"). I know it needs to be dry cleaned, but will a cleaners do it?? I've never brought in something so unusual before....

Sometimes the brown will come out with Fels-Naptha laundry soap. And if not, as it is a natural fiber, you can dye it a dark color.

Any dry cleaner should do velvet! There is no other way to really clean it!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
CherryRed said:
OK, here it what I found. The finished measurements seem way too big for me also. Especially considering this is a fitted style dress. I pinned the darts in the bodice and pinned front to back in my usual size (20/bust 42) then I put it on my dress form. It seemed OK,then I took it apart and repinned it using size 16 (2 sizes smaller like you mentioned your fit was also)
The center seams, side seams and bust points still lined up fine. Since I couldn't come to a conclusion based on just pinning the patten pieces, I am making a musin of the bodice in the smaller size and see how it fits. I am working on that now and will let you know how that fit is. Making the smaller size should still give me 1/2" ease according to the patterns measurements.
I think I'll make a muslin of the bodice also. It shouldn't take very long. Thanks for the help. I've made a few Butterick retro dresses in 14 and 12 but 10 just seems small.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
First time sewing suggestions

I have been fascinated by all of your creations! I was babbling to my mom about them and she offered me her sewing machine! I've written down probably a dozen Butterick patterns I love. Any suggestions on a starter pattern, as I have zero experience sewing :eek:

Miss 1929

miss_killin said:
I have been fascinated by all of your creations! I was babbling to my mom about them and she offered me her sewing machine! I've written down probably a dozen Butterick patterns I love. Any suggestions on a starter pattern, as I have zero experience sewing :eek:

By the looks of your avatar, you should be making some baby clothes! Congratulations!

The less pattern pieces in a garment, the easier it is!

For a beginner, stay away from too many fitted lines, bound buttonholes, bias cut, and weird armholes - otherwise you will be frustrated.

Don't forget if you get stuck, you can always ask in here!

I also recommend taking a basic sewing class at your local sewing store, fabric store, community college, what have you, first, and you can make a garment as your training there.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
By the looks of your avatar, you should be making some baby clothes! Congratulations!

The less pattern pieces in a garment, the easier it is!

For a beginner, stay away from too many fitted lines, bound buttonholes, bias cut, and weird armholes - otherwise you will be frustrated.

Don't forget if you get stuck, you can always ask in here!

I also recommend taking a basic sewing class at your local sewing store, fabric store, community college, what have you, first, and you can make a garment as your training there.

Thank You! He is now 8 weeks old :D
I don't know what "bound buttonholes" or "bias cuts" are :eek:
I am going to try to meet with my mom once or twice a month and start a project with her, but if she is not a good mentor I will absolutley check into that.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Sometimes the brown will come out with Fels-Naptha laundry soap. And if not, as it is a natural fiber, you can dye it a dark color.

Any dry cleaner should do velvet! There is no other way to really clean it!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give that soap a try. I figured if the brown wouldn't come out I would just cut around the offending areas, or pair it with a green and brown print and pretend it was supposed to look like that.lol Dying it is a good idea. I may do that with the stained sections if they won't come clean.

Good to know on the dry cleaners. I suppose that won't be the oddest thing they've seen.... ;)

And actually, after drying, the stiffness returned to the fabric pretty well! No starching needed.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As for the velvet, Id be concerned with fraying if its a remnant. You might want to think about finishing the edges, perhaps bias tape basted around the edges, or it might come back smaller :rolleyes: Im paranoid about fraying.

LD

Rachael

A-List Customer
I haven't made that pattern, but from the look of the designs, I would say that it requires buckram and possible hat wire. Both should be easy enough to find and Vogue hat patterns typically have good instructions.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
As for the velvet, Id be concerned with fraying if its a remnant. You might want to think about finishing the edges, perhaps bias tape basted around the edges, or it might come back smaller :rolleyes: Im paranoid about fraying.

LD

Good thought. I'll do that.

I was considering using it as trim on gloves or for a small hat. Do you ladies have any other thoughts on a use for a small amount of white/cream velvet??

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I want to make a skirt out of some red bi-stretch fabric I have, but I don't have any patterns and the only ones I can make without (or make myself) are a 6 gored skirt (the gores are the same) or a halfcircle skirt, since I don't want it to be volumous, but not pencil either.

So, you much more talented ladies, what would be prettiest in your opinion out of those two?

Inky

One Too Many
Hi Darhling,

Personally I love gored skirts, so that's my vote.

But have you looked online for free patterns to print at home? I have done that with some Burda patterns and though it was time consuming to tape the pattern together, it was very easy and only the cost of paper/ink and time :)

Rachael

A-List Customer
I would vote for the gored skirt since the stretch could "grow" a lot on the bias. Will you be stabilizing the fabric or do you want to keep the stretch?

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Inky said:
Hi Darhling,

Personally I love gored skirts, so that's my vote.

But have you looked online for free patterns to print at home? I have done that with some Burda patterns and though it was time consuming to tape the pattern together, it was very easy and only the cost of paper/ink and time :)

Great site! Thanks for the link!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls, 6 gored s kirt was what I was leaning towards aswell. Rachael, I am not skilled enough to understand your question :eek:

Another question, I want to try french seams, would that look good on such a skirt?

Inky - I am a big fan of the Burda site aswell, I couldn't just find something just right for now (although I have made a skirt from there before :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara