Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shangas' Little Movie :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine is a sound-recordist, and his friend is a cameraman (Well...woman). We three got together, about a month ago, and created this:

[video=youtube;A9jhHuJuQrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9jhHuJuQrw[/video]

It was only uploaded a week or two ago, so it's still pretty fresh. It's about me and my collections of various vintage, antique and retro bits and pieces. I thought I'd put it here for other members to watch. You may notice certain items in the film which I've posted photographs on the Lounge in the past. Anyway, enjoy :)

I hadn't shown this to anyone yet. Then my dad stumbled across it online, and promptly sent the link to literally EVERYONE in our extended family. I've been bombarded by emails all day from aunts, uncles and cousins telling me what a great video it was...

The "old Canon" typewriter I mentioned was the Canon Typestar. You can find pictures of it on Google. It's an electric typewriter that used audio-cassette style ribbons. I used it as my first typing machine, until it literally blew up on me. The power-pack went poof! And smoke went everywhere. I never figured out what happened, but it was toast...

Last edited:
Shangas,
What a lovely little video! This is similar to what I am hoping to do with interviewing friends that are vintage fans here in Southern California.

please tell your frinds to check out www.videomaker.com on the web. It is a great place for people involved in video production, lots of information and how tos.

Regards,

john

Feraud

Bartender
Shangas, you all did a great job on the video. The production work was very good and the subject is excellent.
There have been threads and many typed out words trying to capture what "We" are about. Your three minute video spoke volumes!

Very enjoyable video put together nicely! The vid and audio reveals more personality which does offer quite a different perspective than only typed words on a post with a pic. Would be nice if we could all 'hear' each other and observe mannerisms that make us who we really are.
HD

Perhaps we need a 'sticky' thread of personalities of the FL..? There are Youtube vids of several FL members floating around out there..demonstrating their interests. Compiled and put all in one place..and added to from time to time could/would compliment Shangas' video as well...I think.
HD

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
That was great! You could always make a long full length movie "boardwalk empire of Melbourne" with all the vintage items you have!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It'd be a very short movie. I don't have nearly as many things as you might imagine!

Yes, but with the technology today, you can place them throughout the film so people don't notice it as much. I also have to mention the quality of the picture itself, seemed professional to me and in HD as far as I can tell. Boardwalk Empire of Melbourne....that is kinda catchy. :D

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I meant to post right after you uploaded it...I really enjoyed that. It was very well done and I think your sentiments are shared by many, including myself on here. Unfortunately it's all about planned obsolescence these days. Great job!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, but with the technology today, you can place them throughout the film so people don't notice it as much. I also have to mention the quality of the picture itself, seemed professional to me and in HD as far as I can tell. Boardwalk Empire of Melbourne....that is kinda catchy. :D

Melbourne in the Roaring Twenties...huh. Hardly Boardwalk Empire. For one, Melbourne's docks were almost all for industrial and commercial purposes. Not somewhere you'd take your girl for a stroll along the pier. Ain't Blackpool, you know.

This the Port of Melbourne in the 1920s...

471913_Large.jpg

You can see the city in the background, to the left of the river.

The photo is looking eastwards. The city is therefore to the north side of the river.

FlinderStation2.jpg

This is the intersection of Flinders & Swanston at the same time-period (late 1920s). This is just a short tram-ride from where the docks are in the previous photo.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
A friend of mine is a sound-recordist, and his friend is a cameraman (Well...woman). We three got together, about a month ago, and created this:

Absolutely fantastic, Shangas!

Your friend is an extremely talented cinematographer, and you are a superb host/narrator with a fantastic collection! If we ever get the opportunity to meet in person, we shall have to troll the antiques stores together, because there are few things I like better, and my wife doesn't tolerate going with me lol

Bravo, sir! Bravo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy