Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Mackinaws

fardin

New in Town
maybe this one fits in here??
hope you dont mind anyway
specially the river junktion coat resembles one of the classic coats from the 20s and 30s. sure enough they also used those coats a lot in western movies but they were not really made with cowboys in mind.
here are some pics of the kind of coat i am talking about
the last one is a reproduction from a great japanese site

3072202724_65467b17ba_o.jpg

3072202742_aaa99c1253_o.jpg

3072202726_8edd482f64_o.jpg

3072202734_531b230744_o.jpg

3072202738_4848ebccba_o.jpg

fardin

New in Town
well scotrace
its a classic coat from the 20s and 30s as far as i know.
you can see it in a lot period pics.
Sears Roebuck & Co and J.C.Penney & Co used to have those back in the days.
here are some more Montgomery Ward & Co cataloge pics from 1929.
3116566080_68b40ba63f_o.jpg

3116566082_f63740fdf1_o.jpg

the leather one is the same that aero has.http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=704

this is the japanese site i have it from.
the rest of the site is also great and has some interesting information.
http://www.e-workers.net/store/16/top.htm

kind regards, hope it helps

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
mike said:
fantastic!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks mike. I really liked that LVC Mackinaw of yours. Got me thinking about how cool those shawl collar coats really are. And this one popped up as a $25 buy it now. How could I say no to that?

A similar one to the one I got just went for over $300. Any reason that particular one went so high?

tanfront.jpg

tann.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't understand the market on these things, I guess. Both were approximately the same size.

This one went for $20

nov2509124.jpg

This went for $202

100_9340.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
BellyTank said:
Was yours listed in "Vintage"???
Some people don't shop outside of the Vintage categories.
B
T

So you think it's the section, not the style? The two which sold for big bucks are nearly identical, with leather buttonholes instead of loops- could this particular style be more desirable for some reason?

It was, but in the '40s-'60s section, not the '30s-'40s one.
If someone's willing to drop 2 or 300 bucks on one of these in battered condition, you think they'd take the trouble to look for five minutes to find the others going for 1/10 the price.

I think these shawl collared sheepskin and canvas ones are really quite neat. I'm surprised I don't see more people here wearing them. Seems like they'd go right well with all the workwear which seems to be the current big thing.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I think these shawl collared sheepskin and canvas ones are really quite neat. I'm surprised I don't see more people here wearing them. Seems like they'd go right well with all the workwear which seems to be the current big thing.

I am definitely digging this type of jacket. Seems to me a little more practicle than a B-3.

NH

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Dinerman said:

Yeah, they're cool. I hope to find one someday. A friend of mine just bought a really nice French one, belted, leather trimmings. Two of those were on Ebay a while ago, sold for around 100 pounds. The selling price on the ones you posted is confusing indeed, I'd expect the one with the chest pockets would be more interesting.[huh]
Meanwhile I'll think I'm gonna get one of the River Junction striped blanket Mackinaws, they look great, though nobody seems to own one, haven't read any reviews or seen any fit pics.
macinaw.jpg

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Frebay had one that went for 10 euri, last year. Fellow didn't do paypal or international shipping. Canadien(ne), I didn't know that. Thanks ;).
I'm always searching for 'toile' stuff, hard work, my french is almost as bad as my swedish. 77 sick nurses on a ship to Shanghai.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Proudly off topic

Mysterious Mose said:
77 sick nurses on a ship to Shanghai.

That's a good one... sounds like...

hwooty-hwoo hwooka hwookhwertishkor... hwep... hwanghai.

Swedish tongue twisters... try a Danish one, then.

I have received a LVC khaki Norfolk style jacket from a fellow Lounger!
Just my cup of like.

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
That's great! At last. And yes, Canadienne.
No Danish. i don't think I ever met a Danish person in my life. Changed trains in Copenhagen once at five in the morning.
Also, if you're interested, I've brought an Australian army 'norfolk' jacket,you know what I mean, very small, from Melbourne and I've got a khaki-ish R.Newbold pre-Paul Smith work jacket, short, pocket flaps, revolver inside pocket, size 42/44?, label reads M, too big for me, that I stole the buttons off.
Lemmeknow, M.M.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
I think Canadienne is very specific. This is a Canadienne:

sartre_pic.jpg

Yeah, we drifted off into those. Canvas with a shawl collar and sheepskin liner. I'd add a button and loops closure to the specifics.
I was very happy with mine the last few weeks.

Your plaid Mackinaw's a beauty! Did you see Mr. Chevaliers link to the "Neustadter bros." Mackinaw, sold on Ebay in the workwear thread?:

Marc Chevalier said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic