Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Leather Jacket Advice sought

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
I'm looking to purchase a shawl leather jacket in the same vein as Aero's Aeromarine. I'm aware of jackets by:

Aero
Bill Kelso
Thedi
Himmel

If Himmel wasn't out of my price range before, with Brexit it certainly is!

So who of the others would you recommend and why. Have I missed anyone? Please feel free to put up photos of your jackets, I'd love to see them. I've searched for some but may have missed more.

Thanks for your support. This is a great forum!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero offer a really wide selection of leather but also a certain amount of personalisation - if you’d like hand warmer pockets then you can replace the patch pockets. There’s also the customer service and after sales care, which almost second to none in this niche. If not Aero, I’d probably go with Thedi, who do some lovely stuff. Both are great quality.
BK are a wild card, especially in terms of post-sales support, and are generally not well-regarded here.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
I have the Thedi version and recommend it 100%. The horsehide leather is thick but soft and supple and the slim cut feels very nice to wear indeed, not at all restrictive.
If you go via Thurston you can ask for hand warmer pockets instead of cargo ones.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking to purchase a shawl leather jacket in the same vein as Aero's Aeromarine. I'm aware of jackets by:

Aero
Bill Kelso
Thedi
Himmel

If Himmel wasn't out of my price range before, with Brexit it certainly is!

So who of the others would you recommend and why. Have I missed anyone? Please feel free to put up photos of your jackets, I'd love to see them. I've searched for some but may have missed more.

Thanks for your support. This is a great forum!

I wouldn't turn down any of them.

I haven't handled Bill Kelso or Himel, and I have handled many Aero jackets, but no Aeromarine.

I have a Thedi shawl collar, which I like as good as any of my Aeros. I think the Thedi sizing is on the small side, tighter than I expected, but a good and accurate fit.

Nice suede one by Whitefeather on IG today:
IMG_4496.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
If Himel is out of your range, I would go with Thedi. It would be the one I would buy if I did not get my shawl collar Himels.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Having owned several, I'd only really rate the much older (2007/8) washed goat version, which nailed the pattern and hide. The more recent Einstein jacket, if you can get past the price, also looks worth a closer look.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The LVC Einstein jacket has the best executed shawl collar of all of these. Unfortunately the price point is kind of ridiculous.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Wow guys. Absolutely blown away with the response. Lots to think about. Sorry to ask a stupid questoon. What does LVC stand for - Levi Vintage Clothing?

Thank you

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
15ce0729211b62a19a6ca075c310227c.jpg

I have an Aeromarine in seal goat (pictured), and I don’t find it that boxy actually. Sure, it’s not as slim fit as the Thedi but I wouldn’t call it boxy. I have a long and slim physique and the aeromarine fits me well I think.

Before buying the aero I tried on an LVC menlo Cossack jacket (sadly no pictures taken) in a local store and that was real boxy, probably comfortable for someone with a big belly but not for me. I tried sizing down but ended up with a jacket that was too narrow in the shoulders and still had looooots of room in the belly and hip area.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Before buying the aero I tried on an LVC menlo Cossack jacket (sadly no pictures taken) in a local store and that was real boxy, probably comfortable for someone with a big belly but not for me. I tried sizing down but ended up with a jacket that was too narrow in the shoulders and still had looooots of room in the belly and hip area.

You tried the current version of the LVC Menlo Cossack - it's a different pattern entirely from the 2008 washed goat version, which is unlined and far more true to the 1920's version (not at all boxy - more like a goatskin shirt).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner