Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling jackets in the rain/snow.... how will it affect the jacket?

scottmcl

New in Town
I love my shearling jacket, but I am always cautious not to wear it when its raining or snowing.

I worry that I will stain the leather or stress the material.

Are my worries unfounded, how do these jackets hold up with this kind of weather?

For reference, its high quality shearling, from California, made in the around forty years ago.

Hi scottmcl
Well...I sure wouldn't want to wear my shearling Aero B6 in pouring rain. Getting it soaked surely couldn't be very good for it. However...I've worn mine many times in snow...and while it was heavily snowing. The fleece has a natural lanolin that helps protect it against some moisture. As far as the hide..snow shouldn't hurt it either....unless it's the suede type buffed finish hide..which would be a little more touchy to stain.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
If it gets wet in a hard rain, there is a good chance it will shrink. I have had that happen to at least two of my leather jackets. As HD said, snow shouldn't be a problem.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
No big problem.

My youngest soaks his older Airex B-3 regularly on his motorcycle and in general if you don't wear it in the rain here, you'll never get to wear it. Haven't had one shrink yet.

Just allow it to drip dry naturally on a towel and later a good hanger when it's dry enough not to stretch. Like you'd dry a heavy wool sweater. We also rub a little Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing into the exterior leather occasionally to keep it supple and help it shed water next time. Road grit is a larger problem. Cold water and Woolite works very well. So does taking it to a professional. You can even use your washing machine and its gentlest spin cycle if you monitor it carefully, use only cold water and Woolite, and agitate only by hand.

Our leather and sheepskin jackets have held up nicely for decades with that level of care.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I'm not sure what you mean by 'shearling'. Technically, in the leather trade, that implies 'hair-on' lambskin (i.e. from a sheep less than two years old). If you are applying the term generalically, I can asure you that sheepskin will come to no more harm through being wet than any other (properly tanned) leather. I have been wearing sheepskin in all weathers (as in UK) for all types of activities for over forty years. I have never had a garment damaged by the weather. Normal wear and tear, yes. Weather, no.

scottmcl

New in Town
Okay, thanks for the info everyone.

I am not really sure what you call the specific type of hide my jacket it made out of, I just was told it was called shearling/sheepskin.

Pics....
c271_1.JPG

c2d5_1.JPG

c371_1.JPG

c3e6_1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass