Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling pea coats

giovanni

Familiar Face
I've been thinking of getting a G1 goatskin or a shearling bomber for a while now. I've looked through the threads here to find more information, for which there is a wealth of great posts. But I was curious about this style of coat--the shearling pea coat:

pPOLO2-7056561_standard_v360x480.jpg

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13324635

What do you guys think about this format for a shearling coat? It is much more formal than a bomber, but I think it is a nice look. Also, why is it so hard to find a shearling coat with a darker brown fur lining? Is it because the light coloured lining is original military spec?

Peacoat

Bartender
I like it, but I would prefer to see it a bit longer. It should cover the butt, and this one looks a bit short. With this style, it could even be a few inches below the butt. That would make it a warmer coat for those cold nights in the City (or in Canada).

jon11

A-List Customer
Have one of those coats or something similar which I bought from Nursey's in the UK 30years ago hardly worn by me, which my wife stopped me putting in the clothes bank last year. Mine is much longer. Its going back to them in January for a Spa or spruce up. Really glad she stopped me dumping it. Had a look at the one above nearly $4000 Wow. I bought mine for £150 way back then.

Last edited:

alec0226

New in Town
I’m going to buy a Sterlingwear classic peatcoat next week, they have a retailer in my city,actually I went to the shop and tried it on last week. I'm 175cm,66kg,and size 36R fits me well.It's 32oz melton and it feels pretty stiff,I think that will help to keep a better shape.When I get the peacoat I would put on some pics.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Coach Shearling

ScreenShot2012-12-04at90622PM.png

At $2400, this coat from Coach almost looks like a bargain! It looks like the slightly shorter coats are the rage... After all, isn't this just an expensive "mall jacket" (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

giovanni

Familiar Face
I am not familiar with the concept of mall jackets...if by that you mean cheap trendy clothing I guess this applies. They have the shearling bomber type look but are a little more versatile in that I can wear one to dinner.

A long shearling coat simply doesnt suit me. I would get one of these but for 1-1500 rather than 2-4k. My main hope was that companies like alpha industries or schottnyc made something like a shearling peacoat. I dislike fashion brands and prefer simply but well made garments

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
ScreenShot2012-12-04at90622PM.png

At $2400, this coat from Coach almost looks like a bargain! It looks like the slightly shorter coats are the rage... After all, isn't this just an expensive "mall jacket" (not that there's anything wrong with that)?
Looks like a sheepskin version of aero's Barnstormer without the belt:cool:

I think the term Mall jacket really refers to a copy cat jacket of something like an A2 or G1, or even an Irvin, made for the non military enthusiast but who just wants the look. A bit like all those G1s for sale in high street stores when Top Gun came out in the 80s.
I dont think they are always poor quality, but obviosly dont have the details of something like an Aero, Eastman Good Ware. The Top Gun era jackets were covered in badges, usualy of non relating squadrons and things. Avirex made millions of the things, painted backs, unrelated unit badges, Ykk zipps, back seams etc.
maybe there needs to be a Mall jacket topic going on;)
Not everyone can afford £500 for a good copy jacket.
JohnTee

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo