Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheer Dresses and Blouses

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
I lived in a town and have talked to others with similar stories of other towns where when a girl got married many of the women of the town would write it down on the calendar and wait 9 months to see or earlier.

:eek: I feel lucky never to have lived in a small town!

Although when I was growing up, I was told a few times that girls with pierced ears looked cheap/common. It was the 80s, so coloured fishnets, lace tights etc etc were all very trendy.

RosebudMarie

New in Town
My grandmother never had peirced ears - not even when she died at 84. She never drove either. I inherited a cute pair of her clip-on earrings, though I don't wear them since htey make my ears itch.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Back to how sheer dresses were worn.

Here are a couple of photos taken at a formal (diplomatic) party around 1956 in Ankara, Turkey.
I remember the dress my mother is wearing as a pale blue sheer one, with a matching color slip/underdress. If you look carefully along the hemline, you can see how sheer it is.
MomDadAnkara1956smallW.jpg

Wives of the Japanese diplomats. The lady second from the left is also wearing a sheer lace dress as seen along the hemline. In fact, the kimonos the two ladies are wearing, are also sheer summer kimonos.
56AnkaraParty10W.jpg

All adhering to the dress protocol of the occasion, and so, very appropriate social attire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran