Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheer Dresses and Blouses

Miss Sis

One Too Many
You could have them made from the same sheer material but you might want to double the pieces and stuff them with soemething the same colour so they don't shout out too much?

I'm sure that is what I have seen in my travels round vintage clothes shops, etc.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Hmmmm-- all good thoughts on the shoulder pads. Its a novelty print that I am making it from-- turqouis background with ladies in hats (black, pink and white)-- so if I do it from the same fabric it would probably look off....maybe a beige/nude.

I think I'll just make it up without and get a sense of how it hangs and go from there.

Thanks for your help ladies

Honey Doll

CourtneyJordan

New in Town
I have thus far largely avoided purchasing sheer garments due to the fact that I don't exactly know how to go about wearing them. I am always afraid that I will not find the right slip or undergarment to go underneath, and that it might look awkward if I do. Also, if you are buying a sheer dress, do you buy it an inch or two more roomy to allow that flowy look and room for the slip and additional undergarments? I am a somewhat lost and could use some help! I am ready to take the plunge into sheer dresses and blouses...I think.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
CourtneyJordan said:
I have thus far largely avoided purchasing sheer garments due to the fact that I don't exactly know how to go about wearing them. I am always afraid that I will not find the right slip or undergarment to go underneath, and that it might look awkward if I do. Also, if you are buying a sheer dress, do you buy it an inch or two more roomy to allow that flowy look and room for the slip and additional undergarments? I am a somewhat lost and could use some help! I am ready to take the plunge into sheer dresses and blouses...I think.

I don't really think you need extra room. A slip should be able to fit underneath any dress you buy, and doesn't really add bulk.

I have a couple of dresses that are on the sheer side and I never feel comfortable wearing them. I have an old slip that used to be my grandmother's that is very plain, no lace or detail, and quite thick, that works all right. Unfortunately, you can still see my girdle line through the slip, so I have to end up wearing an extra half slip, under the full slip, under the sheer dress. It's kind of a pain!

Foofoogal

Banned
Of all things vintage I think this is the one thing that fascinates me the most.
The sheerness of these dresses, blouses etc. Without sounding really tacky was it maybe a way to remind the boys back home what they were fighting for? How did the ladies back then even wear them? Was it seen as their part in the war. I am not trying to sound goofy and am really serious. I see some beautiful sheer blouses and dresses and find it so strange in the sex driven culture we live in that these women wore these out in public without blinking and that we now find it near impossible.
Fashion is so odd at times.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone ever dyed one of those sheer nylon 50s blouses before? I purchased a lovely one this weekend that I thought was black, only to discover once I saw it in the daylight that it was navy. I almost never wear navy. I've love to dye it black, and am pretty sure it's all nylon, but not positive. I'd hate to ruin it!

I need to find some decent tank tops to wear under it! All of my vintage slips have tons of lace over the bust - not so great for the coverage!

Sunny

One Too Many
I don't think nylon will take a dye. Or maybe it's polyester I'm thinking of... But I'm reasonably sure that neither, being completely synthetic/polymers, can be dyed. :(

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:
I don't think nylon will take a dye. Or maybe it's polyester I'm thinking of... But I'm reasonably sure that neither, being completely synthetic/polymers, can be dyed. :(

There's an entire thread here I think about dying nylon slips. I've done it on several occasions and it works well. Poly doesn't, and nylon blends are iffy. This blouse has a tiny bit of stretch to it, so I don't know if it's pure nylon or a blend.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
Of all things vintage I think this is the one thing that fascinates me the most.
The sheerness of these dresses, blouses etc. Without sounding really tacky was it maybe a way to remind the boys back home what they were fighting for? How did the ladies back then even wear them? Was it seen as their part in the war. I am not trying to sound goofy and am really serious. I see some beautiful sheer blouses and dresses and find it so strange in the sex driven culture we live in that these women wore these out in public without blinking and that we now find it near impossible.
Fashion is so odd at times.

I have a number of sheer dresses and blouses, when I wear them nobody pays anymore attention to me than when I wear a housedress. They are a garment for fashion and pratical reasons. I wear alot of sheer fabircs here in Florida obvioulsy b/c of the weather. During the 1860's they wore sheer dresses and blouses to escape the heat. Does that kinda clear up the subject a bit?I hope I didnt confuse anyone!lol

Samantha

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
LaMedicine - I have at this moment in a hope chest a dress that I bought in the 80's from a boutique that is a sheer fushia with a solid fushia underdress. They are separate pieces, but there is no question that underdress goes with and is a part of the ensemble.

In this instance a slip is not needed, but of course foundation garments are.

As to the LDS wear, if a market doesn't exist already, then there should be one for slips and camisoles that are the exact shape of one's garments and attach and cover the garment so that you can wear a sheer blouse or dress over them.

This would mean 4 layers of clothing however - Bra, garment, garment cover and sheer top.

Maybe?

Sunny

One Too Many
KittyT said:
There's an entire thread here I think about dying nylon slips. I've done it on several occasions and it works well. Poly doesn't, and nylon blends are iffy.
*makes a note* That's good to know!

retrogirl1941 said:
I have a number of sheer dresses and blouses, when I wear them nobody pays anymore attention to me than when I wear a housedress. They are a garment for fashion and pratical reasons. I wear alot of sheer fabircs here in Florida obvioulsy b/c of the weather. During the 1860's they wore sheer dresses and blouses to escape the heat. Does that kinda clear up the subject a bit?I hope I didnt confuse anyone!lol
*gasp* Someone else knows and loves 1860s sheers! Yay!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Sunny said:
*makes a note* That's good to know!

*gasp* Someone else knows and loves 1860s sheers! Yay!

Yes! I used to do 1860s reenacting and did the millions of hours of reasearch to make myself look correct as possible. I still have reasearch books and notes for all of my 1860s wardrobe(which sadly has been sold off:( ).

Samantha

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
you need a underdress or cami...

I just checked over the weekend with a gal that is a master vintage seamstress out here. Her name is Theresa LaQuey, in Oakland. She has like 2,500+ vintage patterns and makes the most amazing creations. I've had her make a blouse and skirt for both of us. More outfits will be coming down the pike!

I called her because I had found a sheer all over lace little 40s blouse for my daughter. With a slip only you'll see the slip's lace and fitted shaping and still her bra straps too. I wanted this to look authentic vintage so I called to get her input.

NOTE: Please Ladies, for a true vintage you would not wear a Madonna- trashy lets-see-my-black-bra-under-my-light-colored-top look going on here-geesh!!! It wasn't let's tease the boys at home deal either, for heaven's sake.

MODESTY was a real virtue back in these days, honest. Slips were always worn, with girdles, with bras, with hosiery on your legs (except during WWII, when materials were not available and they painted the seams on their legs) The exception being a sheer back or low back evening gown. But generally speaking if there was a specialty sheer fabric there was most likely built in lining or separate underdress to wear with the dress. Vintage slips are very pretty but were not meant to be seen and certainly not meant to be flaunted.

In the case of my daughter's sheer blouse, Theresa La Quey said they would then added a little satin or silk camisole with a scoop neck or round neck in a color that coordinated with the lace blouse color that had wide straps to completely cover all the bra and slip straps and the slip's lacy bodice.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have vintage slips that are completely solid up to, no lace or anything. They're perfect for sheer blouses, and if you're worried about bra straps, wear a strapless or use a little fashion tape to keep the bra and slip straps together. You can also buy modern slips with wide straps, or opt for a camisole or tank top - I actually prefer this, as it allows you to tuck everything into your girdle to keep it in place. If you wear the blouse over a full slip, it won't stay tucked in and will slide right out of your waistband.

sweetarita

New in Town
I have a lot of those sheer 50s dresses and ENJOY wearing them with BLACK slips and a black belt. :) The dresses are usually cute and sweet and I enjoy adding a tiny bit of naughty. I live in a town where almost NO ONE wears vintage (even though people always say how much they love my clothes) ??? and I don't get any odd looks or comments when I wear the dark slips under them. I have a ton of vintage slips, so that is what I wear under them. Both lacy and not.

I have all colors too, so I also will wear a pink slip under a pink dress and so on. It just depends on my mood. I usually do match my bra to them, so it won't be too much going on. white with white, pink with pink black with black.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like the look of BRIGHT colours (not black) popping through on camisoles, etc. I find it much more cheerful than a black camisole to have green or tangerine or similar.

Especially if the sheer top is a floral or dot, and the camisole is one of the less-dominant colour of the top.

I haven't worn this yet but I plan to, with a spaghetti-strap or ribbed tank top underneath, the kind with a built-in bra. Honestly I think I see plenty of tank tops around here, with skirts and sandals, and some look very cute. I can't imagine it becomes MORE naughty by virtue of a ruffly sheer top overlaid.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I like the look of a brightly colored slip or cami under a sheer blouse. I can't do sheer dresses though, as I find that even the heaviest slip isn't enough to hide my girdle lines, etc.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I've never tried a sheer dress. I guess with a slip, (or a slip AND a halfslip which I think my grandmother did sometimes...?) and boyshorts, or maybe satin tapshorts, I might try it.

Feels rather different than a sheer top and camisole, though.

Gigi

New in Town
I adore sheer dresses, especially in the spring and summer when it's oh so hot. But I always wear proper undergarments! The other day I saw a girl wearing a lovely vintage sheer dress. Her horrid undergarments ruined the entire look! They took the attention away from the dress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran