Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes with grey suit for wedding...

Liquesence

New in Town
Hello,

I've not posted very much to FL but I do read through threads quite a bit. This time, however, I need advice.

I'm attending my sisters wedding the last week of November, which is in Charleston, SC, on the beach, at 4:30pm with reception to follow. The groomsmen are wearing black tuxes, the women pewter/charcoal dresses.

I've decided to wear a grey suit and white shirt, but I've not decided whether it will be charcoal or a sharkskin (a shade pr two lighter than charcoal), but it will likely be the sharkskin. I can't determine which shoe/belt combo to wear: black, or burgundy/oxblood cap-toe oxfords? Since the reception will likely take place after dark, would black shoes be best, or would burgundy still be acceptable? I would prefer burgundy over black because it'll add a bit of chic-ness to the wardrobe, which I can subtly coordinate with the tie.

While I understand style is in the wearer, i don't want it to be too awkward.

What say you about which shoe to wear?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It's down to your personal taste really. Burgundy goes fine with grey, so does black. You can even get away with white, as long as it's offwhite like ivory, and in a classic style. When I wear my grey suit, I usually match it with a pair of ox-blood and ivory, two tone brogues.
If you have your heart set on the burgundy, wear them with a co-ordinated tie and breast pocket handkerchief. Will you be wearing a hat?

Liquesence

New in Town
I do have my heart set on the burgundy instead of the traditional black, but I was more concerned not with whether it would look fine, but rather if it would be "appropriate" considering the reception is in the evening, after dark. I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I would like to make sure.

If i do wear the oxblood/burgundy (and i probably will), I will certainly coordinate the tie. I have a few burgundy ties (with varying accents, mainly beige), but think I will go for one with burgundy as an accent/complement rather than the main color. I'm still looking at ties. The pocket square I'm thinking of coordinating with the shirt (white) instead of the tie, but I've not decided.

As far as hat, yes, a grey center-dent Dobbs with black ribbon (so I'll look for some black in the tie to coordinate with the ribbon).

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well there you go my man. I do hope that we get a picture of the ensemble. Sounds good to me.

Liquesence

New in Town
As long as you yourself will not be in a tuxedo, there is no reason why a color other than black would necessarily be inappropriate.

Thank you, I feel the same. And for the fact that a man with style can...bend...certain guidelines, I do think I will be wearing the oxblood.

Liquesence

New in Town
See, now you've got me thinking. Mr. Grant could pull off the oxblood and grey in NbN. I'll probably not wear the black shoes, but the silver tie sounds excellent. Not solid silver of course, but with a couple of shades of silver/grey in a very elegant manner. What I would love to wear, but can't find such a tie anywhere (and if I did I doubt it would fit my budget), is a dark to medium grey/silver tie with burgundy pin dots just small enough to complement the shoes/belt, but not bold enough to stand out as burgundy. This is the problem I have found with ties that have burgundy: they all have TOO MUCH burgundy. I want a very subtle amount: a very thin, well spaced stripe on greyish monochrome, small pin-dots on a solid, silver monochrome paisley with the FAINTEST burgundy outlines, etc.

Your thinking has me thinking, A.C. ;)

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
The only real guideline that I have been taught, and it is easy.
Rule #1 Shoes need to be darker than the suit.
Rule # 2 Then, after that, I always keep all of the leather in the same color; brown shoes = brown belt = brown wallet = brown watch strap. Or all black leather if going that direction. Never, brown belt with black shoes or mix match.
Rule # 3 If metal strap watch, eye glasses, belt buckle, ink pen, shoe buckles or tie pin, or cufflinks. I always try to keep the same metal, either silver or gold all the way (ie brass vs chrome) whatever. I don't mix or match chrome or platinum eyeglasses with brass belt buckle and silver cufflinks. This may even go for wedding band.

Liquesence

New in Town
The only real guideline that I have been taught, and it is easy.
Rule #1 Shoes need to be darker than the suit.
Rule # 2 Then, after that, I always keep all of the leather in the same color; brown shoes = brown belt = brown wallet = brown watch strap. Or all black leather if going that direction. Never, brown belt with black shoes or mix match.
Rule # 3 If metal strap watch, eye glasses, belt buckle, ink pen, shoe buckles or tie pin, or cufflinks. I always try to keep the same metal, either silver or gold all the way (ie brass vs chrome) whatever. I don't mix or match chrome or platinum eyeglasses with brass belt buckle and silver cufflinks. This may even go for wedding band.

I think some folks here might disagree with "Rule" #1. As a "general" rule shoes should be darker than the suit, yes, (and I agree), it IS possible for some people to pull of the opposite, IMO. The latter is about style.

Agreed to #2. I always coordinate my watch band/belt/shoes.

I would not mix golds accessories with silver accessories, even if the wardrobe had contrasting golds/silvers (such as a tie or waistcoat). I'm not a fan of (nor own any) yellow gold itself, so I generally always go silver/platinum/etc.

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
An amusing story from (as far as I can recall) an older NPR announcer, recalling the tough neighborhood his Dad worked in:

One Saturday, while his Dad was getting something from the back of the office, the boy looked idly into his Dad's desk and found two long, heavy leather objects. One end of was shaped like a flat handle; the other was wider, and weighted with lead shot. When the boy asked, his Dad told his they were saps that he carried "just in case."

"But why do you have two, Dad?" asked the boy.

And his Dad's reply: "Brown shoes, brown sap. Black shoes, black sap."

It might have been a tough neighborhood, but that was no reason to be uncivilized!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails