Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I shorten this brim?

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Hello,

I don't post much, but the most important thing I've learned at the Lounge is that for a hat to look right, the dimensions have to be matched to your face shape and body type. I've worn my Akubra Federation for about 2 years and I have mixed feelings about the brim length. Sometimes in photos it looks just right, other times it looks too wide for my face and shoulders. I'd like to gather some opinions here with a picture:

Snapshot_20110105_11.jpg

Snapshot_20110105_14.jpg

I already gave it a 1/4" trim on the front and back in the past, removing the dimensional brim the hat comes with, and it was a huge improvement. Now I'm considering taking another 1/4" to 1/3" off all around, ending with something like this:

trim1.jpg

trim2.jpg

What do you say? Too wide or leave it be?

Thanks

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
The wide brim does look good on you. That said, it might just be a bit more suited to your face shape trimming it down like you've shown. I wouldn't take it down more than a 1/4" though, probably go with 1/8" if it were me. Wear it like that for a while, and if you want it smaller, then trim a bit more off. Either way, nice looking hat!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't trim it - Leave it as it is. It looks great. If you trim it too much, there's no way to undo it and your stuck with a hat you hate. Give it some time and it'll grow on you.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I like it the way it is, but if after two years you are still thinking about shortening the brim, then that may be what you might do. Keep in mind that people can look good in more than just one style of fedora.

I cant say this about you for sure, but there is a member here, GWD, who recently posted pictures of himself in a variety of his hats, with brims ranging from about 1 3/4 to 2 1/2, if I remember correctly, and he looked great in all of them. Of course, YMMV.

I also remember seeing a hat here similar to yours with a trimmed down brim, perhaps a bit too much for my taste. I didnt particularly care for it, although the owner was very happy with it.

Im a big fan of this hat's dimensional brim. If I was in your situation, with the hat as it is right now, Id trim the sides down, 1/8 at a time, to bring the hat back closer to its original dimensional cut. That would accomplish what youre looking to do, in shortening the brim, and keep the hat's original character intact, if thats what pleases you, of course.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello,

I don't post much, but the most important thing I've learned at the Lounge is that for a hat to look right, the dimensions have to be matched to your face shape and body type. I've worn my Akubra Federation for about 2 years and I have mixed feelings about the brim length. Sometimes in photos it looks just right, other times it looks too wide for my face and shoulders. I'd like to gather some opinions here with a picture:

Snapshot_20110105_11.jpg

Snapshot_20110105_14.jpg

I already gave it a 1/4" trim on the front and back in the past, removing the dimensional brim the hat comes with, and it was a huge improvement. Now I'm considering taking another 1/4" to 1/3" off all around, ending with something like this:

trim1.jpg

trim2.jpg

What do you say? Too wide or leave it be?

Thanks

Leave it. The width has a lot of merit on you, I wouldn't mess with it. Buy other hats for the shorter brim. No rules saying you can only own one hat.

Hello,

I don't post much, but the most important thing I've learned at the Lounge is that for a hat to look right, the dimensions have to be matched to your face shape and body type. I've worn my Akubra Federation for about 2 years and I have mixed feelings about the brim length. Sometimes in photos it looks just right, other times it looks too wide for my face and shoulders.

I think it looks great on you as is. So many pictures these days are taken with cell phone cameras and very wide angle point and shoots... there is a great deal of perspective distortion in these systems.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
If you really don't like it as is you should do what makes you happy. But I agree with alanfgag and GWD and danofarlington and G Man and Torpedo (and everyone else) when they say that it looks fine as is.

Why not just get another fedora with a narrower brim? With two hats you can go shorter or wider as suits your mood (while observing which of the two you really like better).

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
One more vote for leaving it alone. Buy a stingy and see if you like it, but that brown one looks fine on you full size.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Not a fan of the wide brims, but my experience is you should leave the proportions alone on made hats. Somehow they turn out unbalanced (perception only?) if tampered with. In any case the flange will be damaged (brim too staright) after you chop it...

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a fan of dimensionally cut brims and feel that what you have done so far has IMPROVED the hat a lot ! DON'T cut anymore ! The hat looks GREAT and looks GREAT ON YOU as well ! :)
Onward thru the fog :)

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Ooooohhhhh, I dunno. I do know that a 1/4" would be WAY too much! I think it looks fine the way it is. However, if you feel like you MUST trim the brim. I would go no more than 1/8". Believe me 1/4" in a huge change!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot