Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off your Porkpies

Torpedo

One Too Many
My Biltmore Milan Porkpie in Pumice Gray color (modern, non vintage)

008.jpg

This is my first porkpie - I ordered it without having ever tried a porkpie on, but I was somehow confident I would like it... and so it happened!

Now I know this will not be the last one of its kind... ;)

Daniel

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got to see that one on you Alan. You got it for a great deal, but it is a bit different to me. Like Bruce said, it seems a bit stingy - as a fedora - but the brim seems a bit long for a porkpie. Of course, that observation is made without ever seeing it on anyone's head. Sooo, please give us one of those humble-Alan-downward-gaze-in-a-great-outfit shots.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm a fan of the porkpies in this old ad.
284hats2.jpg

The tie and hat were both mine. I sold the hat.
bio.gif

Frank Lloyd Wright-esque porkpie - It now belongs to a friend, a huge Wright Fanatic.
IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

Odd fuzzy Borsalino porkpie. Lowest crown I've seen on a felt hat. - Long since gone.
IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

Stetson
campaign.jpg

Me in a pinch-front Mallory Porkpie
MeinPub.jpg

Not mine, but cool hat, the Adam "doodle"
dc88_1.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a similar ribbon treatment, but this one is pretty odd, as the bow looks like it's tucked behind the rest of the ribbon. The felt also looks rough, like wool or just a lesser pounced fur. Between that, the vents, the brim, and everything else, that is certainly a unique hat. :eusa_clap

Dinerman said:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lefty said:
I've seen a similar ribbon treatment, but this one is pretty odd, as the bow looks like it's tucked behind the rest of the ribbon. The felt also looks rough, like wool or just a lesser pounced fur. Between that, the vents, the brim, and everything else, that is certainly a unique hat. :eusa_clap

It's a '80s 4x stetson that I had some fun with, taught myself hat repair and shaping with it. I put that brim curl in, made the ribbon, trimmed the brim, reblocked, resized, shaped the crown, took out the sweatband, replaced the sweatband, put in vents. None of it particularly well done, but good practice.

Whole thing eventually fell apart, but I learned a lot from it, and it was better to experiment on a junky poor quality cowboy hat than a good vintage one.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

Behold my new porkpie, just out of the box!

PICT0506.jpg

PICT0502-1.jpg

PICT0505.jpg

Mmmh... looking at the profile photo I could call this one "The Blue Flying Saucer"... ;)

I do not have my "good" camera now, I'm afraid these quick snaps will have to do for the moment... The first photo shows the truer colour I would say.

It is a new Beaver Brand, in Navy. I loved the bow treatment with the contrasting colours. It comes with wind string, which I like, not that I use it, but a good detail for me. Felt is a 5X fur which I believe is their standard.

Regards!

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
Hello,

Behold my new porkpie, just out of the box!

PICT0506.jpg

It is a new Beaver Brand, in Navy. I loved the bow treatment with the contrasting colours. It comes with wind string, which I like, not that I use it, but a good detail for me. Felt is a 5X fur which I believe is their standard.

Regards!

Sweet hat!

Edward

Bartender
My First Porkpie: Akubra Rap

Just arrived from Hatsdirect this morning:

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028-1.jpg

Couldn't wait to get dressed to try it on:

DSC00023.jpg

And just look at the awed gazes of admiration it caused!

DSC00031.jpg
DSC00032.jpg

lol

Photos aren't as clear as I'd like - took them on my phone - maybe et better shots wearing it at the weekend. The body is Akubra's Imperial quality fur, beautifully soft. Usual Akubra fit - a little loose, will shrink to fit within a couple of weeks, I should expect. 2" snap brim, with a bound edge. I did look at some being sold via a dealer on eBay who sells both vintage and (in the case of hats) new stuff. no bound edge brim, though, and that detail just gives the Akubra a classy air.... love the snap brim too. In gneral I still very much prefer a fedora, but this will go perfectly, IMO, with the teddy boy outfit I've been putting together... due to lack of hair, I needed a hat, and a friend more experience in that look than I suggested a pp. Eventually I'd like one also in the grey colour of the Optimo above - that's a gorgeous hat. With the wider brim, it has almost a South American flavour to it in my eyes..... also reminds me somewhat of the one Jack Nicholson sported as the Joker. (A good thing, in my book, lest it not be clear!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic