Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

cchgn

One of the Regulars
I know this isn't a period I particularly like (and I'm certainly not a fan of low buttoning two-button jackets) but I still think Stanley Baker looks good here (playing a policeman in 'Violent Playground'):
Bakeramptwins_zps73ab1fd0.jpg

Well, you know, in all the classic (American) movies, the tell tale sign of a detective or PI was the cheap suits,,,,lol.

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
So , let me get this right, the first one took minutes and while they may have been smiling at the beginning of the exposure, they 'relaxed' their smiles by the end of the exposure? and that didn't effect the exposure at all? Hmmm, seems like there would be a blur or mouths out of focus or something.

I think what he meant is that the subjects of early photographs were instructed not to smile at all, from start to finish, to prevent the blurring you allude to.

Also, I think back them the portrait photograph was thought of as the poor man's portrait painting--you'd do it once for posterity, so it was how people would remember you forever after. Hence the more serious expression.

I think the idea of smiling came when camera's were put in the hands of ordinary people who would use them to remember happy moments.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's my latest offering from an old British film - Honeymoon for Three (1935 - the year of peaked lapels and double breasted waistcoats). Written by and starring Stanley Lupino (the father of Ida Lupino):

Lupinosuit3_zpsfae23ff3.jpg

Lupinosuit4_zps31f72a04.jpg

Lupinosuit6_zps14c83a24.jpg

Lupinosuit5_zps708b2cb1.jpg

Flannels with suit jacket:
tarsalstraps2_zpse18ce357.jpg

suitjacketampflannels_zpsfa53b2fc.jpg

Shoes with Tarsal Straps:
tarsalstraps3_zps49e98a57.jpg

He is carrying a rather bold overcoat:
rayampovercoat_zpsc6cd5fe7.jpg

Teddy Bear coat:
teddybearcoat_zpsf6d5cb77.jpg

socksuspenders_zpsdacb6d86.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nice!
The pinstripe suit jacket with white flannels should be well receivd by many a orphan jacket owner.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I still love the soft spearpoint collars, but these are increasingly attractive. Some of them have a relatively wide spread to them, which is interesting. I'm tempted to get a couple in this style.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr Lupino had a nice wardrobe (and daughter)

Regarding the collars: Quirrel is ahead of the curve. He ordered a collar like that from Luxire in 2012

imag0033kr.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
That maybe true on the first one, but certainly not the other two.......photography had gretaly improved by the second one and exponentially by the 3rd one.

So , let me get this right, the first one took minutes and while they may have been smiling at the beginning of the exposure, they 'relaxed' their smiles by the end of the exposure? and that didn't effect the exposure at all? Hmmm, seems like there would be a blur or mouths out of focus or something.

Anyway, The only other thought I gave to it was they may have been put off by having to remove their hats. All of them likely wanted their pics with their hats.

No, you mis understand me. I mean to say that they never smiled at all, but the reason was because they knew they'd be sitting for several minutes, not because they were mirthless individuals.

The sense for formality in the occasion of having photographs done may be at issue, but also remember that simply because the fact of the matter was that photographic technology had improved doesn't mean that the average person being photographed knew or understood that. The old "you must not move a muscle and it will take some time, so don't smile" belief probably persisted longer than the technology demanded it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Double Confession (1950)

Derek Farr is a sports jacket with a low button stance and elongated lapel:
DerekFarrsportsjacket1_zps1992d67d.jpg

not a style I particularly like, but nice cloth:
DFjacketdetail_zps094b351f.jpg

As with most British films of this period, you can tell the villain - he's the one in the bow tie ...
Hartnell1_zps5ad10db5.jpg

whbowtie_zps5f9934e2.jpg

whbowtie2_zps26713ff8.jpg

... or the one wearing a black shirt:
WHampPL2_zps6ab691f6.jpg

This shows the regular styling so that an audience can distinguish between the good guy (nice modern sports jacket) and the bad guy (wide lapels and bow tie):
WHampDF_zps73075ce7.jpg

Very long shirt collar:
longcollar_zps2328fffa.jpg

suit jacket with mis-matched trousers:
WHjacketamptrousers_zpsa7e5baf7.jpg

Wide-boy with American-style tie:
Wideboy_zpsc2f9fa27.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
Interesting cast! William Hartnell and Peter Lorre.
I'm progressively going off the low button stance, mainly because I find it makes the jacket less practical (less coverage).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are a few grabs from 'The Woman in Question' (1950):]

The contrast between the respectable policeman and the wideboy is shown by their clothes:
DBtie_zpsb158a954.jpg

It's interesting to see the open pleats above the waistcoat pocket:
waistcoatpleats_zps78b5fccc.jpg

The very popular late forties/early fifties British fashion for open necked checked shirts:
DBcheckshirt1_zps1b251052.jpg

DBcheckshirt2_zpse4fca18b.jpg

The lesser-spotted 1940s corduroy jacket:
DBcorduroyjkt_zpscc28dc1d.jpg

DBcorduroyjkt2_zps912b5069.jpg

The obligatory wide-boy's bow tie:
DB1_zps4c9b2cec.jpg

... or American tie (as an alternative):
DBtie2_zps5337e5a6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members