Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
for comparison, here's a 1926 suit which still has the older, more Edwardian proportions:

1926-suit.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
They are wearing the small cardboard badges that come in various colours and which are worn at race meetings in order to quickly show which enclosure you are allowed into.

f_1996862.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Two Types

Thank you, what fantastic adverts.

Cheers

Ben

My pleasure, there will be more to come. Any particular year you would be interested in? Which year did belt-backs start appearing in the UK? Let me know and I'll check through the clothing adverts for that year.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
I think all these have been posted in the 'show us your suits' thread, but as they're all British, I'll just round them up here for reference:

Unknown tailor 3pc, 3 button SB stripe:

SDC15491.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

Hepworths 2pc, 3 button SB plain blue serge: (pictured in first image with similar but not original waistcoat.)

SDC15190.png

hepworths3.jpg

Montague Burton 3 pc, 3-button SB with DB waistcoat:

DSCF3086.jpg

DSCF3080.jpg

DSCF3091.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salieri, I think I told you before but I love all your suits. You have a great taste! (and some good luck too)

I had to post this - great views of men's suits from 1926:

88029064-group-of-men-at-a-motor-racing-event-at-gettyimages.jpg

3381687-24th-may-1926-a-group-of-men-at-the-races-gettyimages.jpg
Two Types, I can see them if I quote them and copy the URL but they seem to have a blocker for direct links? At least from germany...
Maybe you could host them on anothe server please? (imageshack, photobucket...)

Edit: Now it works directly? Nevermind. Maybe they are in my cache?
The Burton Ads do work fine too.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen,

I am currently able to access a good selection of advertising images from British newspapers. As such, are there any particular manufacturers whose clothing adverts you would like me to search for?

For example, if you own a 1930s 'Smedley' sports shirt ...

1937-SportsClothes-Smedley.jpg

... or a 'Buxsylk' golf jacket ....

1937-GolfJacket.jpg

... you might want to see how they were advertised.

Let me know a manufacturer and a rough period and I will see what I can find.

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Two Types,

I would like to see some 1930s adverts from Alkit. I think they did a lot of tropical clothes, uniforms and workwear maybe. I have a tropical suit from them, it would be interested if any were advertised as such.

Otherwise, just keep up the good work, it is very interesting to compare the different tailors.

Salieri those suits are stunning.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That's odd. I have a similar problem with some postings (i.e. by Gene & by Chasseur) when viewing from my work computer. But I can see them on my home computer.

peaklapels

New in Town
Fantastic adverts Two Types and thank you for sharing all your research.

I'd be very interested in any ads for Austin Reed or Hepworths. Both were large made to measure suit retailers in the 1930's and while the style and cuts of the clothes would be very similar to Burton products in any given year it would be interesting to see how their advertising differed. For example Austin Reed were at least a little more expensive - I'm not sure if their adverts would reflect the different target market?

Regards, Mark

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Alkit

Ben,

I ran a search for Alkit but didn't find a great deal. Everything comes from the late 1940s:

1947:
Alkit1947.jpg

1948:
Alkit19483.jpg

Alkit-1948.jpg

Alkit-19482.jpg

1949:
Alkit1949.jpg

Out of interest, does the company name come from Tropical Kit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner