Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your custom shirts.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
When I go custom, I get what I want.

It's my first time delving into the realm of custom shirting. I know... who needs a custom shirt? Well used to be a time when clothes fit better. I might not like the time as much as the fit, but I really like the fit. So with less and less vintage on the racks I go custom to recapture the style and elegance and romance of the clothing made in the golden era.

I know jack had ordered a few shirts from Mytailor.com and I went the same route though made a few demands in order to get what I wanted.

Had them make a new collar pattern which was a bit longer with more of an undercurve. I was very specific about the sleeves and had them do the tails the way I like them -- long and very much like those you would find on early 1930's shirts -- longer than those you find on current Savile Row shirts. There are a few other details added as well and there are many I'll ad to future shirts. I'm going to compare it to Richard Torregrossa's new London made goods when I see him next Saturday.

I posted some of these before, though here is more info and pics.

The final product after a few changes... My www.mytailor.com custom shirts.

I love the fit... I can't stop wearing them I have three French cuff shirts and one barrel with two button closure and a sharp angle end to the barrel.
Sleaves are spot on with the second lot... I had one made then went ahead with three more after the some changes.

The collar is also unfused like many were in the 30's, so if you iron the shirt pull the ends or have it cleaned professionally a few times till the shrinking is finished. Unfused lets it roll outward like those collars did on the stars in the 30's or the soldiers uniform shirts of the 40's... to me it looks cooler. I wear collar stays in the close up and am opting to go with them in these shirts. In a future design I think i'll go with a longer collar and my decide to drop the stays... I just like the look better with them in the case of these shirts.

IMG_0428-vi.jpg
IMG_0426-vi.jpg

IMG_0413-vi.jpg
IMG_0420-vi.jpg

IMG_0341-vi.jpg
IMG_0418-vi.jpg

IMG_0342-vi.jpg

I used my old razor at a fast pace... was heading to a dance contest in which I was competing.

Anywho, see the open space between the collar? it actually has a drop rather than the continuous collar stand. That way you see tie hanging between the collar opening and not collar stand.
IMG_2558-vi.jpg

Here is a better look post contest after I needed to cool down.

If you look closely at the collar stand you will see that it has a tiny notch before actually going to the regular curve at the edge... if this isn't clear I'll try to get photoshop up and circle what I'm talking about.
IMG_2587-vi.jpg

And just a cleaned up look for good measure.
l_b01830a6a4a800d63081b8fae72a657f.jpg

Dagwood

Practically Family
I got my first custom shirt a few weeks ago from a local shirt maker in Sherman Oaks. 2 fittings, very professional. I plan on going back for more.

b_175611.jpg

b_164537.jpg

b_161310.jpg

b_164605.jpg

richstyle

New in Town
Points well taken

Matt Deckard said:
When I go custom, I get what I want.

It's my first time delving into the realm of custom shirting. I know... who needs a custom shirt? Well used to be a time when clothes fit better. I might not like the time as much as the fit, but I really like the fit. So with less and less vintage on the racks I go custom to recapture the style and elegance and romance of the clothing made in the golden era.

I know jack had ordered a few shirts from Mytailor.com and I went the same route though made a few demands in order to get what I wanted.

Had them make a new collar pattern which was a bit longer with more of an undercurve. I was very specific about the sleeves and had them do the tails the way I like them -- long and very much like those you would find on early 1930's shirts -- longer than those you find on current Savile Row shirts. There are a few other details added as well and there are many I'll ad to future shirts. I'm going to compare it to Richard Torregrossa's new London made goods when I see him next Saturday.

I posted some of these before, though here is more info and pics.

The final product after a few changes... My www.mytailor.com custom shirts.

I love the fit... I can't stop wearing them I have three French cuff shirts and one barrel with two button closure and a sharp angle end to the barrel.
Sleaves are spot on with the second lot... I had one made then went ahead with three more after the some changes.

The collar is also unfused like many were in the 30's, so if you iron the shirt pull the ends or have it cleaned professionally a few times till the shrinking is finished. Unfused lets it roll outward like those collars did on the stars in the 30's or the soldiers uniform shirts of the 40's... to me it looks cooler. I wear collar stays in the close up and am opting to go with them in these shirts. In a future design I think i'll go with a longer collar and my decide to drop the stays... I just like the look better with them in the case of these shirts.

I used my old razor at a fast pace... was heading to a dance contest in which I was competing.

Anywho, see the open space between the collar? it actually has a drop rather than the continuous collar stand. That way you see tie hanging between the collar opening and not collar stand.

Here is a better look post contest after I needed to cool down.

If you look closely at the collar stand you will see that it has a tiny notch before actually going to the regular curve at the edge... if this isn't clear I'll try to get photoshop up and circle what I'm talking about.

And just a cleaned up look for good measure.

Very, VERY nice. The longer collar points not only express a personal preference but they are—and this is even more impressive to me— in proportion to your face and body type as well as the wide tie with a rather thin or thinner knot. The symmetry in the close up of the collar and tie are almost scientifically perfect.

As someone who has been victimized by limp collars, I also like the under roll of the shirt collar. It makes a shirt look smart when it's unbuttoned at the neck—rather elegant and rakish too.

I applaud your efforts, Matt. These are the kinds of details that go into creating a personal instead of an imitative style. We all must find what works best for us and what doesn't. Even if we like something, we must, I think at least, avoid it if it doesn't flatter the proportions of our body type.

As I often told Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations."

richstyle

New in Town
Dagwood said:
I got my first custom shirt a few weeks ago from a local shirt maker in Sherman Oaks. 2 fittings, very professional. I plan on going back for more.

Also very nice. I like the thin pinstripes very much. Nice fit too.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Great shirt Matt. Congrats!:eusa_clap If I wanted some I just ask for the MD shirt to my own measurements????...how much is the finished article. Please advise..

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Hey Dagwood... We have to getogether someday since we're in Socal. I need some good stripey shirts like the one you have. So far All I have gone for in custom is solids.

All my shirts are all cotton. What I have pricewise are 3 shirts that cost about 70 dollars each and one that totalled about 112. The white shirt was the costly one as I decided to see how I liked the more expensive fabric. I haven;t worn them all enough to see how well the material holds together though so far the more expensive cotton doesn't wrinkle as obviously as the lower priced cotton. The construction is great, and for the price it beats off the rack hands down. Why buy a 150 dollar off the rack shirt that might not look right and tends to be too baggy when you can go custom for a lower price?

You could also go to Target and get a 15 dollar dress shirt. They wear well as well, though they have too much collar space for my taste.

Dagwood

Practically Family
You say the word M.D. and I will be there! I am always up to getting more custom made shirts!!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure I've said it before and I will definitely say it again...

I wish I could get shirts at Target/Walmart/Kmart! I'm a 17x37. I can fit in 36's and sometimes look fine in 17.5's. That's four sizes I could purchase but not one is sold. Oh, you'll find 17x35 or 17.5x34, but never my sizes.

Eh, whatever. When I can afford it, I'll run up to Pat Langel Clothiers in town and have a custom shirt put together. Speaking of which, thanks to Marty for the recommendation. Pat runs a nice store!

Has anyone else purchased shirts from Baron Boutique?

Marty M.

Vendor
Our custom boy in Des Moines.

Undertow said:
I'm sure I've said it before and I will definitely say it again...

I wish I could get shirts at Target/Walmart/Kmart! I'm a 17x37. I can fit in 36's and sometimes look fine in 17.5's. That's four sizes I could purchase but not one is sold. Oh, you'll find 17x35 or 17.5x34, but never my sizes.

Eh, whatever. When I can afford it, I'll run up to Pat Langel Clothiers in town and have a custom shirt put together. Speaking of which, thanks to Marty for the recommendation. Pat runs a nice store!

Has anyone else purchased shirts from Baron Boutique?

Pat's a great guy. I've known him for twenty plus years. He'll treat you right. Tell him to give you the Fedora Lounge Treatment. If he doesn't, we'll take care of him ;) .
Marty

Jovan

Suspended
Hmm... is it a requirement to show the tails untucked? :p

I got some gussets on my first one. Maybe I'll take a picture of them.

Unfused is indeed vastly superior. I know I keep saying it, but it really is. Feels so much more relaxed and comfortable. Not to mention, I kind of like the natural, wavy edge look when it's shrunk to its extent.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Here's one of mine.

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

I've concluded that I'm just a hard fit. Everything I try on in stores is too short and enormously wide in the body and too short in the sleeves. Budget permitting, I would love to switch to custom shirts.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Jovan said:
Hmm... is it a requirement to show the tails untucked? :p

I got some gussets on my first one. Maybe I'll take a picture of them.

Unfused is indeed vastly superior. I know I keep saying it, but it really is. Feels so much more relaxed and comfortable. Not to mention, I kind of like the natural, wavy edge look when it's shrunk to its extent.

Untucked then tucked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW