Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

MrAcheson

New in Town
I have one that was 'liberated' at the end of WWII and sold to my father. Fine, accurate, reliable firearm but I wouldn't give you two cents for the 9mm cartridge. I've wondered if It could be given a new barrel and magazine in 10mm . . .
9mm is fine with decent hollowpoints and my hipower is the most reliable pistol I own. 10mm is too long to fit in the hipower's magwell just like .45acp. FN has produced hipowers in .40 S&W, but you can't upgrade an older model. FN had to change their frame metallurgy to prevent cracking under the additional load. The slide is also bigger and heavier with an additional locking lug.

Rathdown

Practically Family
A 9mm hollow point may expand, but a .45 sure as hell won't shrink. An in depth discussion of bullets and wound ballistics is really too far off topic for the forum. That said, the Browning-designed Hi Power is probably the best 9mm pistol ever designed specifically for military use, just as the Browning-designed Model 1911 is probably the best .45 caliber pistol ever designed specifically for military use.

Until 1978 the only 9mm pistol that I carried was a Hi Power (in 1978 I replaced it with a CZ75); that said, my preferred carry was, and continues to be, a Colt Commander in .45 ACP. Like I said earlier, a 9mm hollow point may expand, but a .45 isn't going to shrink...

I'm comfortable and confident with the .45 acp after carrying and shooting one for years. I also prefer the pushing type recoil and boom over the more harsh jerk and echoing crack of the .357. The 9mm has mild wrist impact with more of a pop pop...that has always left me a little underwhelmed..but that's probably because I've shot them less often than some others. Recoil has never really bothered me much with any weapon...but the crack of a .357 with unprotected ears can have very harsh after effects..as well as some other more violent calibers. I'm with you Rathdown..the 45acp is hard to beat for personal protection IMO,too.
HD

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Me too!!! Also I can see Fish getting up and heading for the "can" every few minutes. Maybe that is why he preferred a shoulder rig to a belt holster :cool:
It may be a police application of a holster on his pants, may have been too hard for him to keep up? lol!

There are so many very nice shoulder holsters made, where to start???

My Wife has a holster that has the steel inside the "clip" of the holster to hold the weapon in place until you desire to pull it out, it seems to work for her just fine. If she is not carrying the weapon in the holster, she has a leather purse made by Galco, that it fits in about right.

Just looking at all the leather goodies that are on the market for shoulder rigs does not help making a choice very easy.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
I have one that was 'liberated' at the end of WWII and sold to my father. Fine, accurate, reliable firearm but I wouldn't give you two cents for the 9mm cartridge. I've wondered if It could be given a new barrel and magazine in 10mm . . .

handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

100_9218Medium.jpg

While I agree that a .45 is more effective, the effects of a 9mm through a vital are quite damaging, and for some of us 9mm is more available (in Europe you can barely FIND .45acp) and more cost effective... Still, as Rathdown said, "a .45 sure as hell won't shrink." :D

I really like shoulder holsters both for the look and feel... I'm personally (I have no problem with others carrying this way, I just don't have the experience to make me comfortable with it) not comfortable [yet] carrying horizontal, so would likely carry in any of these models
97e50a29daefd1f2a93581bee8fa.jpg
Picture%201429.jpg
D0690.jpg
(for the S&W M28s I hope to own) ;)

something like this for the 1911s...
LastManStanding.jpg

(I think another "Lounger" posted that pic somewhere?)

I sure as heck wouldn't feel comfortable using one of these
DA1.jpg
And give my wholehearted respect to Steve McQueen and the many detectives who carried theirs like this... I never could. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Now Thats A Holster

I got this off the Yahoo Broomhandle group, I thought some of you might get a kick out of it!
n_a-1.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
I got this off the Yahoo Broomhandle group, I thought some of you might get a kick out of it!
n_a-1.jpg

Thanks Stearman, I've been lookin' for a photo of Great Grandpa Renault! LOL

As soon as I can figger out how to take a decent photo , I'll post a pic of the newest piece of nickel plated perfection I recently "acquired"......... :D It is a S&W......

Renault

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Mauser C96

As long as I posted that photo of the gentleman with his Broomhandle, here is my Mauser C96, made in roughly 1913.
IMG_4099.jpg
IMG_4101.jpg
IMG_4103.jpg

Effingham

A-List Customer
Oh, GOD, DUDE! That is my dream piece, complete with stock!

I must hate you now, and envy you as well. Nothing personal, you understand. It's just my burning envy and avariciousness for that firearm.

Renault

One Too Many
Yeah, and sold my C96 to a friend....... Wifey has an FEG in 9mm Kurz !!! Came in the shop about 4 months ago with an extra mag. Being that she collects small autos she had to have it! It is extremely clean. (Ssssshhh!!! I've got a 1914 Mauser Pocket auto secreted on my workbench for her!!!! ;) )....... Someday I suppose I should post a pic of all her "pocket autos" here on the forum.....

Here's the latest addition. I decided to go ahead a snap a pic of her on my workbench today. She is lovely!!!!

100_3062.jpg

New Smith &Wesson Herritage series Model of 1950 (model 22) in .45 ACP. Glad still have about 8 boxes of "auto rim" stashed! Personally I think this is the perfect revolver!!!! Can't wait to slap a polished aluminum "Tyler-T" on her!

Renault

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Yeah, and sold my C96 to a friend....... Wifey has an FEG in 9mm Kurz !!! Came in the shop about 4 months ago with an extra mag. Being that she collects small autos she had to have it! It is extremely clean. (Ssssshhh!!! I've got a 1914 Mauser Pocket auto secreted on my workbench for her!!!! ;) )....... Someday I suppose I should post a pic of all her "pocket autos" here on the forum.....

Here's the latest addition. I decided to go ahead a snap a pic of her on my workbench today. She is lovely!!!!

100_3062.jpg

New Smith &Wesson Herritage series Model of 1950 (model 22) in .45 ACP. Glad still have about 8 boxes of "auto rim" stashed! Personally I think this is the perfect revolver!!!! Can't wait to slap a polished aluminum "Tyler-T" on her!

Renault

That is beautiful!!! Let us know how it shoots. Are you still thinking about rechambering it for 45 LC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis