Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Renault

One Too Many
One thing to remember about the those large dragoon revolvers is the Bessemer process for steel. They were not made out of the best material. Hence the reason your M1860 colt could be made out of a bit better material and,,,,, most of all smaller and lighter!!!! Early Whitneyville Walker cylinders were "casehardened"!!!!!! Making them extremely brittle.

Renault

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Here's my latest, a June 1941 Springfield Armory M1 Garand. I just got it from the CMP on Tuesday. It has a six-digit serial, and the rear sight cover is very early, from the variant known as a "gas trap" Garand.
Picture124-1.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Picture139.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
A while back I posted some pictures of Mosin Nagant's that I had purchased. Well today I attended a CMP match with Uncle Joe (1942 Izhevsk) and didn't shoot to impressively but had a lot of fun, learned quite a bit. AND got to shoot Chris's Garand pictured in the above post. After pumping more then 50 rounds through a Mosin shooting the Garand was downright pleasurable! Chris wore a period Russian cap today, another of our friends wore a full East German uniform. Not having a decent military uniform to wear to a Russian Bolt Action rifle match I opted to dress as I've dressed when in Russia. Here's a parting shot for the day:

121811162931.jpg

Matt

KilroyCD

One Too Many
A while back I posted some pictures of Mosin Nagant's that I had purchased. Well today I attended a CMP match with Uncle Joe (1942 Izhevsk) and didn't shoot to impressively but had a lot of fun, learned quite a bit. AND got to shoot Chris's Garand pictured in the above post. After pumping more then 50 rounds through a Mosin shooting the Garand was downright pleasurable! Chris wore a period Russian cap today, another of our friends wore a full East German uniform. Not having a decent military uniform to wear to a Russian Bolt Action rifle match I opted to dress as I've dressed when in Russia. Here's a parting shot for the day:

121811162931.jpg

Matt
Well, did you get a photo of me wearing the Budenovka while shooting?

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Yep, that is me with the pointy hat!
However, for those expecting to see my Garand in action there, I was shooting my Finnish Mosin M91 at the time.

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Effingham, great looking Red 9, Wolff still makes spring packs for them. Kilroy and MP, looks like you had a great day at the range! The Partisan look suits you well.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I must get in touch with this Wolff. Who (what?) is this?

Thanks. I love this baby. I want to have it looked over by a gunsmith before I put rounds through it.

jkingrph

Practically Family
One thing to remember about the those large dragoon revolvers is the Bessemer process for steel. They were not made out of the best material. Hence the reason your M1860 colt could be made out of a bit better material and,,,,, most of all smaller and lighter!!!! Early Whitneyville Walker cylinders were "casehardened"!!!!!! Making them extremely brittle.

Renault

Renault, I just did a quick read on the Bessemer process and it was not patented until 1855, the Colt Walker was dated 1847, so I would assume the steel was probably made in a smaller crucible process.

Good steelmaking required analysis, removal of impurities, then addition of alloying agents, little of which was known in those days. Basically steelmaking was an art. It has now progressed to an exact science, where high quality steel can be made from low quality ore by processing properly.

Renault

One Too Many
Renault, I just did a quick read on the Bessemer process and it was not patented until 1855, the Colt Walker was dated 1847, so I would assume the steel was probably made in a smaller crucible process.

Good steelmaking required analysis, removal of impurities, then addition of alloying agents, little of which was known in those days. Basically steelmaking was an art. It has now progressed to an exact science, where high quality steel can be made from low quality ore by processing properly.

Bingo! That's what I was hinting at! You got it! ALL the large framed Colt Dragoon type revolvers were mfg of a poorer iron alloy material. For Colt to manufacture a large calibre revolver they had to wrap a lot of metal around it!!!! Not until the 1860 army came out, made with the new "Steel" alloy could they produce a large calibre revolver that would withstand the pressures.

Renault

MPicciotto

Practically Family
A Christmas Story--My Own Version

Yes that was a reference to the Jean Shepherd classic.

About a week ago I was contacted by a long time friend who was looking to sell her rifle. Her husband didn't feel comfortable with their little kids and the rifle in the house .* She told me she wanted $200 for a 1976 Topper 58 with 20 gauge and 30-30 barrels, some ammo, hard case and cleaning kit. At the time I didn't even know what she was talking about. Had to look it up as I'm more a mil-surp guy myself. So I put out some feelers. No bites. Thought we'd just give it more time, being close to Christmas and all.

Today I get a message from her:

if anyone happens to ask about the rifle setup, I'll take $95.39 today

Now that's odd I thought. So I asked why that amount and was hit with this:

I wanna get my husband a tool set with the money from them and that's the price for the craftsman set I want but sale ends tonight
tax included
lol
debating taking it up to one of the pawn/gun shops in Glen Burnie after I get the kids to bed to see if I can pull this pff
off*
this is when it sucks to be a stay at home Mom. When you don't have monetary means to provide nice things for your supporting s/o

By now I'm frantically searching the internet trying to learn about Henry & Richardson Topper shotguns/rifles. When she hits me with this next line

but he wants and genuinely needs a basic tool set now that I showed him how to change the oil and stuff on a car, and thats what he asked everyone for and didn't get
he wants to be handy!

So I tell her I'll buy it for an even hundred. We arrange to meet and I buy the gun, a hard case, a cleaning kit, 40 rounds of 30-30 ammo. I also tell her that if she ever wants it back I'll sell it back to her, that I have no intention of selling the gun off. It's looking like a pretty win-win situation, we talk for a few minutes. She and my wife talk about horses for about 15 minutes. Then we part ways. Here's a quick snapshot of the setup:

122211232438.jpg

Later on I find a message from Kelley that just melted my heart:

Thank you again so very much! I can't express how thrilled I am to be able to do this for him. Your first set of your own tools is generally a milestone in a young man's life. He may have waited longer than many, but to have that honor to bestow them to him is a true blessing to me. We do not encourage the belief of Santa Claus because we don't want our children to be confused about their belief in God because we lied to them about a commercialized false idol, but you have come through as my Christmas Angel for sure and I will not forget it until dementia and altzheimers set in. From the depths of my heart, thank you.

I feel even better then Ralphie when he found the Red Ryder BB gun Christmas morning.
Matt

*Kelley does all the work on their cars, household repairs etc in their family

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Yes that was a reference to the Jean Shepherd classic.

About a week ago I was contacted by a long time friend who was looking to sell her rifle. Her husband didn't feel comfortable with their little kids and the rifle in the house .* She told me she wanted $200 for a 1976 Topper 58 with 20 gauge and 30-30 barrels, some ammo, hard case and cleaning kit. At the time I didn't even know what she was talking about. Had to look it up as I'm more a mil-surp guy myself. So I put out some feelers. No bites. Thought we'd just give it more time, being close to Christmas and all.

Today I get a message from her:

Now that's odd I thought. So I asked why that amount and was hit with this:

By now I'm frantically searching the internet trying to learn about Henry & Richardson Topper shotguns/rifles. When she hits me with this next line

So I tell her I'll buy it for an even hundred. We arrange to meet and I buy the gun, a hard case, a cleaning kit, 40 rounds of 30-30 ammo. I also tell her that if she ever wants it back I'll sell it back to her, that I have no intention of selling the gun off. It's looking like a pretty win-win situation, we talk for a few minutes. She and my wife talk about horses for about 15 minutes. Then we part ways. Here's a quick snapshot of the setup:

122211232438.jpg

Later on I find a message from Kelley that just melted my heart:

I feel even better then Ralphie when he found the Red Ryder BB gun Christmas morning.
Matt

*Kelley does all the work on their cars, household repairs etc in their family

That is great. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story. Merry Christmas to you and your family and to the rest of the Lounge Family.

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou