Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
f911832a.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Often with guns chambered for the old black powder cartridges, corrosion can occur in the cylinders if they weren't cleaned thoroughly. Then the next time t gets shot, fouling builds up quickly, resulting in poor extraction. Try taking a .30 caliber bronze brush, wrap it in brass wool, chuck the cleaning rod in a drill, soak it in Hoppe's 9 and really polish the cylinder holes.

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
Often with guns chambered for the old black powder cartridges, corrosion can occur in the cylinders if they weren't cleaned thoroughly. Then the next time t gets shot, fouling builds up quickly, resulting in poor extraction. Try taking a .30 caliber bronze brush, wrap it in brass wool, chuck the cleaning rod in a drill, soak it in Hoppe's 9 and really polish the cylinder holes.
Thanks I'll try that.

Renault

One Too Many
On Christmas morning in 1973 I found a rectangular box underneath our Chrisrmas tree. My heart jumped when I tore back the paper revealing the brown and white box with "Remington" printed on the top. The box contained my first shotgun, a 20 guage 870 Wingmaster with a 28" vent rib barrel.

"Doublegun"

I still have my old 20 gauge 870 I got for Christmas 1967!!!!!!! I always thought that flying duck on the grip cap was the coolest thing!!!!! Lot's of birds and rabbits put on the table with that old gun!

Renault

jkingrph

Practically Family
I still have my old 20 gauge 870 I got for Christmas 1967!!!!!!! I always thought that flying duck on the grip cap was the coolest thing!!!!! Lot's of birds and rabbits put on the table with that old gun!

Renault

Thats great, I have two that have special meaning.

Dad bought a Marlin 39a for me when I was 7 or 8 years old, should have been about 1952, I could look up date codes on gun but have not. The other is a Winchester mod 70 featherweight in 30-06 he got from prize points in a sales contest. I received it in 1963, a few weeks after finishing high school, nice present.

Renault

One Too Many
Model 70 for a grad present! I guess so!!!!!!!!! Got the youngest son a Marlin 39M for Christmas maybe 15 years ago! He still has it. Same year got oldest on of those Model 94 Win, 30-30, with the "antique" finish. He's taken his fair shar of deer and hogs with that ol' carbine! Told the boys they were getting "unbrellas" for Christmas that year as things were too tight for anything else! LOL! They saw the long boxes under the teee Christmas morning. But we made them unwrap the boxes of ammo first!

Gonna try to do a little "Boxing Day" bird hunting with the two boys this afternoon. I'll use the old 1952 vintage 12 ga 870 I picked up back in November, today. I wish I wasn't on dial up here on the post oak prairie, as I would post more pics. Takes so dad burn long to download....

Renault

jkingrph

Practically Family
Model 70 for a grad present! I guess so!!!!!!!!! Got the youngest son a Marlin 39M for Christmas maybe 15 years ago! He still has it. Same year got oldest on of those Model 94 Win, 30-30, with the "antique" finish. He's taken his fair shar of deer and hogs with that ol' carbine! Told the boys they were getting "unbrellas" for Christmas that year as things were too tight for anything else! LOL! They saw the long boxes under the teee Christmas morning. But we made them unwrap the boxes of ammo first!

Gonna try to do a little "Boxing Day" bird hunting with the two boys this afternoon. I'll use the old 1952 vintage 12 ga 870 I picked up back in November, today. I wish I wasn't on dial up here on the post oak prairie, as I would post more pics. Takes so dad burn long to download....

Renault

Good luck on the hunting today. Up here in Jacksonville it's cold and raining.

I have gotten to the point where I no longer hunt, a lease around here is just too expensive, so I just keep a membership in the East Texas rifle and pistol club over near Longview so I can shoot. It's about 50 miles to the range but worth it to me, so I can play with my guns. They have 5 seperate rifle ranges 6 pistol ranges, trap, and 5 stand, plus a couple of informal traps set up for shotguns. All the ranges are seperated by full length berms so you can be safe downrange while someone is shooting on the range next to you. All covered firing lines with good benches. I just need some decent weather to get over there.

I never could get my son interested in shooting very much. He will go with me to the range and have a good time, but never has gone on his own. He and his wife just presented us with our first grandson a few months ago, so maybe I can create some interest there. I would like to know my accumulation would go to someone who will like them. My only problem is that they live over in Jackson, Ms about 5 hours away so it will not be easy.

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many

Renault

Happy hunting with that 870, you can not beat those old tried and true shotguns.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Well, my cousin almost bought me this for Christmas
10-03-4-11-01-Gamo-Silent-Stalker-Whisper-breakbarrel-air-rifle.jpg

A Gamo SilentStalker pellet rifle (match grade) but he intended to only spend $50 on me and Christmas day when we went to pick it up the store owner said it was $150... my cousin gave me the money instead and now my brother is looking around his area for some variant of a TT-33
chi-m20-r_70.jpg

Which can be found around here for around $50-$150, which I can then trade in the US for something I actually want, like a Rock Island Armory 1911
DSC01188.JPG

(standard 5" in 9mm goes for about $350, which is about what TT-33s were going for when I left the states...)

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
How are you going to bring the TT-33 into the states?

Matt
still researching, but it seems that you can bring one into the states if it's privately owned, as long as you're not selling it commercially... [huh]
TT-33s turn up on the gun auction sites here in the USA all the time. Most seem to go for about $400-$450.
I saw $350-$400, but I was figuring to do private trade with someone I know that already has a RIA but collects old guns... I still have to find out all the laws re "import", I wouldn't want a $500.000.000 fine just because I wanted to save $100.... :eeek:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
You want to go to www.atfe.gov and apply for a collector's license. It's called a 'cruffle' for Collector and Relic Firearms License. It costs $30 and lasts three years. It does say that you can't buy and sell with the license but if you hold the gun for a year, you're good to go. Otherwise, you will be bringing it in as a 'relic' (over fifty years old) and be expected to pay customs duty on it.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Let me know how it works out. I have a friend in Afghanistan shipping home Martini-Henry rifles and other antique long guns. Despite being classified as an antique he still needs ATF approval to ship home firearms. No problem on the .450-577 "obsolete" cartridge guns. But he's having a time getting .303 chambered guns back even though they are "antique".

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic