Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Under most circumstances I agree with the preference for walnut stocks. However, when the hunting is to be done in the cold and wet of the Arctic, polymer rules. As a woodworker I cheerfully admit that there is no way in Hell you can fully seal wood, hard as you may try. And when the moisture craftily sidles its way into your stock your point of impact will change. It may be a little, it may be a lot. But even if, as Terry Wieland so wisely suggests, being in grizzly country you are carrying a grizzly rifle, if it won't hit where you are aiming you have a serious, nay potentially terminal problem. When in the Arctic, carry polymer.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Under most circumstances I agree with the preference for walnut stocks. However, when the hunting is to be done in the cold and wet of the Arctic, polymer rules. As a woodworker I cheerfully admit that there is no way in Hell you can fully seal wood, hard as you may try. And when the moisture craftily sidles its way into your stock your point of impact will change. It may be a little, it may be a lot. But even if, as Terry Wieland so wisely suggests, being in grizzly country you are carrying a grizzly rifle, if it won't hit where you are aiming you have a serious, nay potentially terminal problem. When in the Arctic, carry polymer.

This sounds like very good advice. I'm kind of in the market for a mid-grade varmint rifle. Although I love wood...and every gun I currently own has a wooden stock...I think whatever varmint rifle I buy will have a polymer stock.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Atticus, have you considered a laminate stock? They weigh more, but are resistant to warping and some are rather sporty looking [to my eyes anyway].

I would be very happy with laminate. I've actually been looking at a Savage 25 in .223 and I think that rifle has been produced with poly and laminate stocks at different times in its history. Not sure if both are available nowadays.

I'm not a dedicated varmint hunter so I don’t need the very best rifle money can buy. I just need something to help deal with our local coyote population. We didn’t have the wretched things when I was a kid. Evidently coyotes were introduced to Eastern North Carolina in the ‘eighties by fox hunters who used them to train dogs. Now coyotes everywhere. They eat small game, pets and even some crops. I’ve been hearing and seeing them on my property in increasing numbers and I’m about ready to declare Jihad on them.

AF

MikePotts

Practically Family
Some Laminated stocks can be quite attractive:

P1010572_zps161c3b9f.jpg

Ruger GSR .308Win.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think these three versions of the M-25 are still available. Even though the two laminate stock variants are clearly more attractive, I'm thinking the poly stock and matt barrel would be most practical for humid Eastern North Carolina.

savage-m25_002_zpse0684942.jpg

AF

plain old dave

A-List Customer

I don't know about that. The Finns killed trainloads of Russians in the Winter and Continuation Wars with Mosin-Nagants stocked in Finnish Birch or American Walnut. In 1932, they started making them out of 2 pieces to reduce warpage, so you occasionally see one with a front half of birch and a back half of walnut.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wood Laminate has been used on airplane propellers for over 100 years, and they stand up to the harshest conditions. From Siberia to the Sub Saharan.
Museum6_zps35863db2.jpg
Propeller21_zpsdb9caae9.jpg
Propellerbau1_zpsbb0612e3.jpg

Renault

One Too Many

LOL, Walter think I'm safe! Think it was W. O. Finley and John Means killed the last grizz in Texas in 1900! And my chances of fulfilling my dream of following Sam Magee to the bleak bald headed north will never happen. :D

Bob

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Pity, that. The tundra is a magical place. When you stand on a rise and look over the rolling landscape you might be inclined to say, "Meh!" But when you get down on your knees and look close you see the northern forest in miniature. Blueberry bushes six inches high, cloud berries raising their pink and white fruit above the rest of the foliage. In August it's autumn and the entire place turns the color of New England in October. The cries of the loon and the trumpet swan, the flight of bald eagles overhead . . . I love it--until the first snowfall!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
BTW...and I should have asked this several posts ago...does anyone here have any experience with the Savage Model 25? I've never shot one and I'm not wed to buying one...but its seems to be a decent value for the money.

AF

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Running Bear, they came with the gun. I believe they are made by Altamont. Ajax and Eagle make beautiful grips as well and if you can find some old Herretts, you will not be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland