Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That's what I'm thinking -- she looks like she's had no more than maybe 50 rounds through her!

And loud ain't the problem, she kicks like a mule!

All those STW calibers make me fall back on one of my favorite aphorisms, "Just because something is possible doesn't make it a good idea." Recoil velocity is far harder on the human frame than mere recoil. I happily shoot .375's and .404's but I neither own nor covet anything by Weatherby or any of his imitators.

Levallois

Practically Family
An older lady I have known for many years had this wrapped up in an old towel. It belonged to her father and was still loaded. It is a Colt 38 Super manufactured in the 1940's right after WWII. This is an old, low resolution photo and does not do it justice. The pistol has that beautiful old Colt blueing and some honest holster wear.

ColtSuper3802_Small.jpg

Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks for posting!

jkingrph

Practically Family
All those STW calibers make me fall back on one of my favorite aphorisms, "Just because something is possible doesn't make it a good idea." Recoil velocity is far harder on the human frame than mere recoil. I happily shoot .375's and .404's but I neither own nor covet anything by Weatherby or any of his imitators.

Agreed, vastly increased bullet velocity equals more recoil velocity to your shoulder. I generally prefer the old classic calibers, 6.5x55, 7x57, 30-06, 30-30, 38-55 45-70, 32-20, 405 win, 375 H&H and 458 Win, all at moderate velocities, I really do not want to shoot at something I cannot hit will without using iron sights, and nearing 70 years old that's not as easy as it used to be. Another couple of nice cartridges are the old .35 Rem and the Swedish 9.3x57

Renault

One Too Many
Yes classics! My 1949 Remington 721 Deluxe, with a "new" 2 1/2x Texan tube! Came in on another old 721. Nobody wants these old vintage things. But as long as they still work, I like em!

MikePotts

Practically Family
Landman....that 38 super is just awesome, thanks for posting it.

Bob, Here's my favourite 'scope /rifle combo:

P1010592_zps87132a83.jpg

I'd seriously consider having it all refinished were it not for the extra holes & missing lumber

P1010591_zps82f792a4.jpg

& yes there are only 4 digits in the number....

Renault

One Too Many
DON'T DO IT MIKE!!!!!! Leave her be!! You'll thank me later!!! ;)

PostScript,

If you can ever get her by the shop, I'll stick some filler screws in those holes for you! Gratis!

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Yup, a very fine example of sporterizing, not "bubbaing". A truly elegant rifle.

Bubbaing...thats funny. In these parts we call it "Redneck Engineering ". I wish that I had taken a picture of one that we had seized a while back. It was a .22 rifle with a laser sight...the laser sight was a Office Depot laser pointer attached to the barrel with electrical tape....I think I will start to refer to that as bubbaing now. Thanks Deacon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner