Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Renault

One Too Many
I don't tell anybody anything. I have learned to leave that responsibility to the people who's name is on the sign out front!

In other words, I dunno nuthin, and I can prove it.........

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao,
Those machine-guns and submachine-guns open up a whole different and bigger set of legal issues concerning firearms ownership in the US.
I wouldn't want a machine gun or submachine gun. My wave are lever action rifles.

In Portugal you cannot own a machine gun or submachine gun of any kind. Those are considered war weapons and there by forbidden to be owned by civilians.
For me to get a lever action rifle I have to wait at least 5 years and during that time I have to pay fees to a federation, to a club, own a shotgun, enter in shooting events, buy ammo for a gun I don't want (shotgun) and wait several months for approvals.
This is too much trouble for me and takes too much time. If it were that easy as you describe, then I would already have one and would not complain how easy is to get a gun in the US.
It might be easy if I wanted a hunting licence, but I do not want to hunt animals nor people so this is not "my" way to get what I want.

I'm retired and sometimes assist repair staff at a local sporting goods shop. I'm not the owner of the shop, just a helper.
OK. for once I thought you had a gun shop or a pawn shop.

Landman

One Too Many
After a few brief stints in retail gun stores, the most wonderful stuff comes in wrapped in a towel carried by an old lady.

An older lady I have known for many years had this wrapped up in an old towel. It belonged to her father and was still loaded. It is a Colt 38 Super manufactured in the 1940's right after WWII. This is an old, low resolution photo and does not do it justice. The pistol has that beautiful old Colt blueing and some honest holster wear.

ColtSuper3802_Small.jpg

An older lady I have known for many years had this wrapped up in an old towel. It belonged to her father and was still loaded. It is a Colt 38 Super manufactured in the 1940's right after WWII. This is an old, low resolution photo and does not do it justice. The pistol has that beautiful old Colt blueing and some honest holster wear.

ColtSuper3802_Small.jpg
Gorgeous, Mike. I love the Colts.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Harv. I love Colts too. Especially the old ones with the beautiful blued finish. What they call a blued finish now is nothing compared to what they used to produce.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Deacon.

I also have his other guns but don't have any pictures of these. They were all manufactured in the 1940's and 1950's. They are in great shape too.

Browning Auto-5 Shotgun - 16ga
Winchester Model 94 Rifle - 32 Winchester Special
Smith & Wesson Pre Model 36 Chief's Special - 38 Special

The old gentleman had excellent taste in firearms.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Here's a project I was working on for a while. It's a floor lamp made from a Nepalese M1878 Francotte Pattern Martini.
I'm generally not in favor of drilling holes in a perfectly good rifle. But fortunately, I started with a perfectly bad rifle.
It was/is a Nepalese Francotte parts rifle I bought at IMA in Easton during a "cabin fever" visit in January or February of 2013. In addition to having had several usable parts already stripped off the rifle before I bought it (such as the trigger, trigger screw, forward receiver screw, buttplate and upper sling swivel), the action was heavily rusted, especially internally. Several months of soaking it in various penetrating oils did nothing to loosen up the immovable ferrous lump it had become, but it did allow me to effectively clean the rust off the outside. The lever would not budge, and it looks like someone had taken a hammer to the breech block to try to get it to move. Chunks were missing from the buttstock and the cleaning rod had taken on a tortured appearance, not even coming close to being remotely straight. Once I got the fore stock off, the underside of the barrel looked like a lunar landscape with heavy pitting... nay, craters! Some were far deeper than a typical dovetail slot. So this was a certain candidate to be fixed up enough cosmetically to become my new floor lamp.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Here's a project I was working on for a while. It's a floor lamp made from a Nepalese M1878 Francotte Pattern Martini.
I'm generally not in favor of drilling holes in a perfectly good rifle. But fortunately, I started with a perfectly bad rifle.
It was/is a Nepalese Francotte parts rifle I bought at IMA in Easton during a "cabin fever" visit in January or February of 2013. In addition to having had several usable parts already stripped off the rifle before I bought it (such as the trigger, trigger screw, forward receiver screw, buttplate and upper sling swivel), the action was heavily rusted, especially internally. Several months of soaking it in various penetrating oils did nothing to loosen up the immovable ferrous lump it had become, but it did allow me to effectively clean the rust off the outside. The lever would not budge, and it looks like someone had taken a hammer to the breech block to try to get it to move. Chunks were missing from the buttstock and the cleaning rod had taken on a tortured appearance, not even coming close to being remotely straight. Once I got the fore stock off, the underside of the barrel looked like a lunar landscape with heavy pitting... nay, craters! Some were far deeper than a typical dovetail slot. So this was a certain candidate to be fixed up enough cosmetically to become my new floor lamp.

Well done sir! I love the lamp shade and the radio next to your new lamp.

Kirk H.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
It's not vintage, but a Remington 870 Supermag, I have a weakness for these brutally rugged and reliable shotguns.

Very nice. I love the 870s, I know I have used one to get the attention and instant compliance from several violent felons. The distinctive noise of racking a shell into the chamber is like the sound of a rattle snake....everyone seems to know what it means.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
I used to have a No 1 MK III dispersal that was a floor lamp. Two holes drilled in the forearm and stuck to the lamp post. Still had grease in the bore. No attempt made to dewat the thing at all.

It didn't stay a lamp for long...

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Now that I'm no longer a Luddite computer wise, I can post pictures again.

I just picked up this one. A Mauser C96 Bolo. The pictures don't do it justice.

Unmolested. No one tried to "improve" it or make it look pretty. Now to find some 7.63 Mauser ammo. I want to shoot it at least once...

pompier

Familiar Face
Niiiiiice....

That sir, as they say, is a real beaut! Nice to find one in nice condition and unmolested at that. Luckily Fiocchi and Prvi Partizan still load 7.63x25. Just a matter of searching online.
A friend of mine has one in similar condition and with the matching wooden shoulder stock/holster.
His father in law was a B-17F pilot and that C96 came home with him after the war.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Now that I'm no longer a Luddite computer wise, I can post pictures again.

I just picked up this one. A Mauser C96 Bolo. The pictures don't do it justice.

Unmolested. No one tried to "improve" it or make it look pretty. Now to find some 7.63 Mauser ammo. I want to shoot it at least once...

Be very careful with the ammunition. If you end up with high powered rounds you can brake one of the matching number parts. Then, the Broomhandle will go from being worth a few thousand dollars to a few hundred!

Renault

One Too Many
You should be fine shooting 7.63 MAUSER ammo. Do not shoot any TOKAREV ammo. I will post photo of what happens when you do, when I get to work tomorrow.

Btw, a very nice Mauser!!! Thanks for posting pic! Well done!

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Oh, I know about not using Tokarev ammo. I had the misfortune to see the end result of someone using Czech 7.62x25 in one.

"Use enough dynamite there, Butch?"....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ