Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I dunno anyone who could afford to feed one of the things!!! M2's shoot faaaaast!!!!

Way too fast. I spent a tour as an advisor with the Greek Army and my platoon all had WWII M1/M2/burps/BARs/Thompsons.
As a plinker, the carbine was fine on first gear but not to be floored; especially in combat. And the BAR was a crew served weapon there.
Breaking the rock n' roll habit on range and busting up BAR teams-then emphasizing the old shave and a haircut three bits squeeze
to the BAR tender draftees. :coffee:

jkingrph

Practically Family
I can relate Sarge!!! Past three years for us have been rough!

For the sake of the thread, and old pic from several years ago. In happier times. Chasing elk in Colorado. One of my trusty ol' Krag-Jorgensons.

Nice, I have always wanted a Krag. I saw what looked like a very nice model at a gun show in Tyler, Tx some years back but when examining it I saw what I thought was a crack in the receiver. The guy selling it said it was not but I passed on it . I could actually feel what felt like a crack although it was very fine and faint to the eye.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Yeah, before I have anything else done to mine I'm getting the entire action magnafluxed to be sure. Then, if it's okay I'll have the chrome deplated off and send it to my usual smith for a new barrel. Then will come the hunt for a stock maker. I absolutely know that if I say, 'Wall shoot, Ah'll jes' do 'er myse'f' I'll be dead and buried before it ever happens. Definitely looking for a reliable stock maker.

pawineguy

One Too Many
More of a modern pistol shooter, my current stable below. I love the 945 but the fact that it's entirely proprietary makes it a bit less desirable.

IMG_5176.JPG
IMG_5177.JPG

Renault

One Too Many
Yeah, before I have anything else done to mine I'm getting the entire action magnafluxed to be sure. Then, if it's okay I'll have the chrome deplated off and send it to my usual smith for a new barrel. Then will come the hunt for a stock maker. I absolutely know that if I say, 'Wall shoot, Ah'll jes' do 'er myse'f' I'll be dead and buried before it ever happens. Definitely looking for a reliable stock maker.

Sarge,

For anyof your Krag parts keep checking S & S Firearms. They are very good to deal with!!!

http://www.ssfirearms.com

Renault

One Too Many
If it's an original stock is pretty much is drop in. But remember if it is a carbine stock you will have to have a cavalry swivel bar installed in the stock or you will have a big rectangular empty hole in the stock. They can be pricey!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, from what I understand, the best Krag stock makers are in Norway. I have seen a couple and they are works of art.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I'm sure they are but that, sadly, is not an option. I know that there is at least one supplier of 90% inletted sporter Krag stocks on the 'Net so what I really need is someone to finish shaping, oiling and checkering it. I'm not looking for a exhibition quality piece, just something to take elk hunting in Oregon. I've got the rear peep so the pieces are all there. I just need a craftsmanly assembly.

Renault

One Too Many
What rear peep you have Ols Sarge???

This little tidbit of info may help too!! If it's a Redfield (like their old model 70), it was made to be installed without drill and tap of receiver. It is held in place by a clamp that's fits in the magazine cut off hole and the magazine side plate retainer screw! However many folks simply removed the entire mag cut off and installed sight. Bad move. This causes the cartridge to mis-feed and hang bullet nose on front of receiver under chamber. Refid said to cut entire lever off and install cut off shaft inThe open position and install sight. I simple dremilled a slice Out of lever head. This way I had no issue assuring the mag cutoff shaft was improperly indexed! See photo.

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
That's a nice old Model 12, Deacon!!!!! Good catch.

I dunno if it makes any difference to you but those are Remington sights, if that tells you anything. Like the ones they used on their model 788.

But I sure as heck wouldn't turn up my nose at that gun!! It's still a good catch!! Wondered when you'd post a pic. I've been waiting!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Renault, the sight I got wasn't a Redfield but it is designed to screw right into the magazine cutoff lever hole. That's one reason I'm hoping the action turns out to be sound. i can see myself happily trying to harvest a cow elk each fall in Oregon with that gun and some 220 gr. soft nose.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
So as fate would have it, I just started a job at a sporting goods distributor. The place has EVERYTHING! It's like a veritable arsenal, and I get a discount after 30 days.:D Dangerous though as I can see how I could easily spend all my paychecks on any number of thousands of guns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou