Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

SurfGent

Suspended
600px-WaTl-WinR-3.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
SurfGent,

I know the story of that movie prop very well!!! LOL!
It was a standard old run of the mill 1895 until a gentleman by the name of Rusty Cox got hold of it! He was an awesome counterfeiter. That rifle was PAINTED to look like a gold inlaid presentation rifle!!!!

And to boot Rusty was in the movie! He was the big burly Marine Sergeant with the handlebar moustache. He pasted away several years ago. He was living in the old butcher shop in Harper Texas. Not too far from where lounge member Mike Potts resides. He had that placed packed to the gunwales with old western memoribilia and junk! I dunno what happened to it all. I bought an old Mexican saddle from him once. Heck of a nice guy and friend!

SurfGent

Suspended
SurfGent,

I know the story of that movie prop very well!!! LOL!
It was a standard old run of the mill 1895 until a gentleman by the name of Rusty Cox got hold of it! He was an awesome counterfeiter. That rifle was PAINTED to look like a gold inlaid presentation rifle!!!!

And to boot Rusty was in the movie! He was the big burly Marine Sergeant with the handlebar moustache. He pasted away several years ago. He was living in the old butcher shop in Harper Texas. Not too far from where lounge member Mike Potts resides. He had that placed packed to the gunwales with old western memoribilia and junk! I dunno what happened to it all. I bought an old Mexican saddle from him once. Heck of a nice guy and friend!
Great info Renault. Ya I did a Google search of him he was in a few Western movies. I had read somewhere that the rifle was painted to be a mock up but had no idea about the gentleman Mr Cox. Thank you for that highlight. The man Sounded like a great personality

SurfGent

Suspended
Lol one of the old guys I shoot with is like that, when I call him to see if he's going to the range that day 1/2 the conversation is him yelling into the phone. YA ! OK ! WHAT! SURE! Then he makes up 1/2 the answers to what he thinks I'm asking him cause he can't hear me. Lol , comic relief

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Actually I'd call it 'tragic relief'. I wear hearing aids because the issue ear plugs in Basic didn't fit so they didn't work. And I knew it was h happening at the time! Hell, we had a kid in the company get medically sent home he'd lost so much of his hearing. And BTW, ear muffs aren't any kind of a cure all. You shoot big boomer rifles long enough and the muzzle blast gets conducted to your ears through your cheek bones and deafens you even if you are wearing protection. Practice with small calibers . . . and muffs!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Lol one of the old guys I shoot with is like that, when I call him to see if he's going to the range that day 1/2 the conversation is him yelling into the phone. YA ! OK ! WHAT! SURE! Then he makes up 1/2 the answers to what he thinks I'm asking him cause he can't hear me. Lol , comic relief
When we go out to night clubs, I will nod and smile like I can hear the conversation. Apparently, on more then one occasion, by the looks on their faces, I was nodding and smiling at an inappropriate moment!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I can sympathize. Firing rifles a few times from a prison tower without protection ha dona a lot of damage to my left ear especially. When i get "The Look" from the Missus, I know I have not quite gotten it!

Not from a prison tower, but my right ear. I get that same look from my wife and my daughter too. I am now at the point that when I am working with long guns, I use both the foam ear plugs and the "ear muffs".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy