Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

How is the recoil and muzzle blast on a 41 mag? I can handle 357 in a K frame with no problem. But after firing full tilt 44 mags out of my brother's Redhawk, it is definitely more that I want to get into at my age. I'm looking for something that is short range (<100 yards) Rifle/Pistol caliber for deer and maybe small pigs. Thinking along the lines of Henry Rifle/Ruger Blackhawk. 357 is a little light, 44 would do if not for the recoil/blast. Not crazy about shooting 44 special in the 44 mag due to the cylinder powder burn rings you can get similar to 357/38 special. Any thoughts from the 41 mag shooters out there?

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
How is the recoil and muzzle blast on a 41 mag? I can handle 357 in a K frame with no problem. But after firing full tilt 44 mags out of my brother's Redhawk, it is definitely more that I want to get into at my age. I'm looking for something that is short range (<100 yards) Rifle/Pistol caliber for deer and maybe small pigs. Thinking along the lines of Henry Rifle/Ruger Blackhawk. 357 is a little light, 44 would do if not for the recoil/blast. Not crazy about shooting 44 special in the 44 mag due to the cylinder powder burn rings you can get similar to 357/38 special. Any thoughts from the 41 mag shooters out there?
You might find this article on the 41 magnum informative GreatWhiteHunter.
http://americanhandgunner.com/the-14-magnum-turns-gold/

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
55merc, I would contact Dan Wesson and ask them about shooting Magnums or 38s in that.
I just received a reply from Dan Wesson.
Quote: "Yes you can safely shoot 357 magnum in your 357 supermag, just be sure to clean the chambers on the cylinder regularly."
Bob Collins
Service Department
65 Borden Avenue
Norwich, N.Y. 13815
607-336-1174 ext. 24
bob@cz-usa.com

EngProf

Practically Family
I just received a reply from Dan Wesson.
Quote: "Yes you can safely shoot 357 magnum in your 357 supermag, just be sure to clean the chambers on the cylinder regularly."
Bob Collins
Service Department
65 Borden Avenue
Norwich, N.Y. 13815
607-336-1174 ext. 24
bob@cz-usa.com
I was reasonably certain that the gun store clerk was wrong when he said you couldn't safely shoot .357 mag in a .357 maximum.
Gun store clerks around here are notorious for thinking they know more than they do. (and telling you all about it)

jkingrph

Practically Family
All that can be shot in it is the 357 maximum ammo. The gun store where I bought it said another customer tried shooting 357 magnum in one and it caused the cylinder to explode.

Methinks the dealer where you bought it knows not of what he speaks.. 357 max is more powerful higher pressure cartridge than the 357 mag. Shooting a 357 mag in it should be like shooting a 38 special in a 357 mag, unless the customer that exploded a cylinder used a reload overcharged with a very fast powder such as Bullseye,

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I was reasonably certain that the gun store clerk was wrong when he said you couldn't safely shoot .357 mag in a .357 maximum.
Gun store clerks around here are notorious for thinking they know more than they do. (and telling you all about it)

So true...We use the Latin word "Bullshiticus" around here at times when dealing with those types of sales people....

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
My big hole puncher.
S&W500C-22Dec2016.jpg

For comparison, the brass cartridge is a 44 mag.
S&W500-22Dec2016.jpg

S&W500B-22Dec2016.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Well did anyone get any new firearms for the holidays? I just picked up a Ruger Mini 14 GB or Government Barrel complete with the bayonet lug. Serial number puts in the 1981-1982 range. It was a trade in at the local cop shop and was priced right for me to want to give it a new home. I have always been partial to the Mini 14. I will post some pictures soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner