Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

mrfish said:
A 12 ga Savage and a no name .410.

fedoradecopics009.jpg

Really, nothing is quite as handsome as a simple single barrel shotgun. As much as I admire the history behind my other guns, and that is why I have them, the lines of those two cheap field guns are quite exceptional.

mrfish

You know mrfish...
I quite agree...
....and I'll never forget my first shotgun and all the adventures with that single .410 at nine or ten years old on the farm. Bagged quail...rabbit and squirrel.
HD

mrfish

New in Town
I envy you, HD. Growing up in the city, it was quite impossible to walk around with a shotgun. Well, I suppose I could've done it. Once.

The .410 is also the most fun of my guns to shoot. Slight recoil, light weight, and even a terrible shot like myself can hit a can once in a while.

mrfish

Story

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
Dillinger's derringer nets $95,600 at auction

DALLAS (AP) -- A gun once carried by bank robber John Dillinger has brought $95,600 at a Texas auction.

Dec 12, 10:41 PM EST

Wooden gun linked to Dillinger sells for $19,120

DALLAS (AP) -- An auction house says a wooden gun that John Dillinger's relatives believe was hand-carved and used by the one-time "Public Enemy No. 1" to escape jail has sold for $19,120 at auction.

The artifact was one of 11 items put up for bid Saturday by Dillinger's younger sister, Frances Helen Dillinger, at an Arms & Militaria auction at Heritage Auctions in Dallas.

Heritage arms and militaria director Dennis Lowe says the notorious Depression-era bank robber supposedly used the item to bluff his way out of a Crown Point, Ind., jail on March 3, 1934.

A $14,340 winning bid was made for a dollar bill said to have been in Dillinger's pocket when he was gunned down in an ambush by FBI agents outside a Chicago theater in June 1934.

Story

I'll Lock Up
J.S.Udontknowme said:

Got sent this 2003 article, figured between the Iconic Elvis and the 1934 design date, it was FL-worthy. :p

Pflugerville, TX -- One of Elvis Presley's most prized possessions, his "remote control," will be going up for auction in Pflugerville, Texas, tomorrow (Mar. 7).

The "remote control" in question is his 1934 9mm Beretta pistol, which earned its nickname when the King used it to shoot out his television set during a performance by singer Robert Goulet.

Included with the gun is a notarized letter from Elvis' friend and road manager, Joe Esposito, who attests to the fact that Presley called the gun his "remote control."

A spokeswoman for the auction says the Beretta, with gold grip, lightning bolt and the initials T.C.B. -- standing for "Taking Care of Business" -- is expected to fetch over $100,000.

http://www.ncbuy.com/news/20030307/0-elvis-remote-control-up-for-auction.html

Classy pics here
http://www.berettaworld.com/index.asp?url=http://www.berettaworld.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=533

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alright, after two thorough cleanings, some WD40 to the magazine, and about every curse word I could muster, I've finally decided to load FMJs in place of Hydra-Shoks. Thanks for all of your feedback everyone!

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
Alright, after two thorough cleanings, some WD40 to the magazine, and about every curse word I could muster, I've finally decided to load FMJs in place of Hydra-Shoks. Thanks for all of your feedback everyone!
If you are carrying it professionally (Cop) take it to a Gunsmith. Tell them your problem with your gun. They will be more than happy to fix for you. Most Gunsmiths are ex-Cops anyways. They understand the importance of a reliable gun. Most often they will give you good pricing.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
I've fired roughly (being generous here) 100 rounds through it, which is an unfortunately low number. :D

100 rounds is a low number, so you are still in the break in cycle of your SA. I agree with the posters who suggested quality magazines - Wilson or Chip McCormick are my favorites. I shot IPSC competition for several years putting about 30,000 rounds through a SA in the process.

My most recent firearms purchse was a Kahr .380. The factory paperwork recommends a minimum of 200 rounds down range, then at least 50 rounds of carry ammunition before the gun is carried for serious (I guess there's no other kind) self defense.

Were I in your shoes, I'd buy a couple of McCormick 7-round magazines. Then 200 rounds of Winchester White Box .45 ACP at WalMart and run it through the gun using those magazines. Then try your Hydrashoks again. Most of the high end magazines have a removable floor plate which makes cleaning the magazines easier. This was critical for competition as the magazines were regularly dropped in sand, mud, water or whatever.

You can polish the feed ramp yourself, gently, gently not removing any metal, just polishing by hand. I use a fine grade of buffing compound from the auto supply store.

Another possibility if you are unloading the pistol every day and reloading it the next, the rounds that go in an out of the chamber and magazine in that process may be deformed. A good idea to rotate your carry rounds out occasionally. While FMJ will probably discourage evil doers if properly applied, your pistol and magazines should feed Hydroshoks. Another option is to try other personal defense type ammunition and see if that works better.

But I'll bet good magazines and some wearing in will solve the problem.

carebear

I second the motion to try other brands of ammo. I'm carrying the Golden Sabre now, used to carry Hydra-shok.

The Gold Dot is good stuff as well, there's really no performance difference between the major maker defensive ammo anymore, heck, half the bullet designs are by the guy who invented the Hydra-shok bullet back in the early '90s.

Maybe a different round will have enough of a profile/ogive difference to feed more reliably in your pistol.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I WAS shooting Wolf ( I know I know ! ) because I hate policing the brass up. Now that it's 18 bucks a box now (right !) I'm back to reloading. I have a ton of brass but the components have gone sky high also. Currently using HS6 for my 230 grainers any suggestions for 185s ?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Been a while since I posted here, but I scored a very nice toy today. One of my 5 top panache handguns, a Smith & Wesson 29-2, 6" barrel, target grips. Yup, Dirty Harry's gun!
001-30.jpg

Mr. Clark

New in Town
DeaconKC said:
Been a while since I posted here, but I scored a very nice toy today. One of my 5 top panache handguns, a Smith & Wesson 29-2, 6" barrel, target grips. Yup, Dirty Harry's gun!
002-21.jpg

Nice piece, Deacon. There is just something about the look of the blued, 6-inch Mod 29.

I need to get a new camera and post some of my toys. From a Baker Rifle to a MP-40. And hopefully the new Bren-Ten in Feb or March.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Reminds me of my old Dan Wesson 357, I foolishly traded it for a Remmington 1100. Now I no longer hunt so I am still kicking myself, I could hit a margarine bowl 5 out of 6 times on the RIFLE range. That gun was dead accurate!

Undertow

I really like those Dan Wesson .357's. I've only fired one once, but they are solid firearms and great looking. Finding those is a little more challenging than finding, say, a Colt Python; the latter being primarly relegated to dusty pawn shops and occasional gun shows.

Undertow

Story said:
I lugged a *real* one around in Iraq for a year, in lieu of an M9 (our unit was dual-carry for the mission, but we were short on pistols and even tho' all the other little staff weenies had a pistola, I didn't mind). With the M68 optic, it was just fine as a truck gun/personal protection piece.

I think you're getting what's politely called an "M4gry", which means that the lower receiver (the part registered on the 4473) was manufactured as a semi-automatic. Ask who made the lower.

I received confirmation that this is, in fact, an M4gry, which coincidentally was exactly how it was worded to me. ;) DPMS M4, semi-auto to be exact.

I have been struggling to find information on accessories for this firearm, although I realize there are an abundance on the market. I've found the scope series I'm interested in (Trijicon ACOG TA31RCO) but I'm not certain if I can simply mount this with rings or if I have to have some kind of high-priced rail mount.

I'm also interested in forward grip but I don't think the weapon will come with rails or not (I thought it would, but unsure at this time).

Could anyone please forward me a PM if you know much about the two above accessories? I'm interested in the scope-mounting details as well as the forward grip. Thanks! :D

warbird

One Too Many
Undertow said:
I received confirmation that this is, in fact, an M4gry, which coincidentally was exactly how it was worded to me. ;) DPMS M4, semi-auto to be exact.

I have been struggling to find information on accessories for this firearm, although I realize there are an abundance on the market. I've found the scope series I'm interested in (Trijicon ACOG TA31RCO) but I'm not certain if I can simply mount this with rings or if I have to have some kind of high-priced rail mount.

I'm also interested in forward grip but I don't think the weapon will come with rails or not (I thought it would, but unsure at this time).

Could anyone please forward me a PM if you know much about the two above accessories? I'm interested in the scope-mounting details as well as the forward grip. Thanks! :D

It all depends on the config of that specific rifle. DPMS has numerous models and so they are not all the same. W/o knowing its config, flat=top or no, fore end style etc, it is impossible to say. DPMS is only OK as far as AR style rifles go. Their lowers are hit and miss and some are great and some are way out of spec. That has been my experience. IMO right now one of the best buys out there for an AR style rifle is the CMMG which can be bought directly from CMMG or CDNN has a terrific buy on several of their models. These are excellent quality rifles.

You can buy them in the M4 16" bbl config for between $750-850 brand new.

warbird

One Too Many
Undertow said:
I really like those Dan Wesson .357's. I've only fired one once, but they are solid firearms and great looking. Finding those is a little more challenging than finding, say, a Colt Python; the latter being primarily relegated to dusty pawn shops and occasional gun shows.

You find any Colt snake gun getting dusty in a pawn shop for cheap money you let me know where it is and I will buy it and have it shipped to my FFL ASAP. Colt revolvers are steep anyway, the snake guns which were all finished by smiths in the Colt Custom shop are in huge demand and most of us who look for these gems have a very very difficult time finding them.

There was never such thing as a mass produced Colt snake gun. Unlike S&W who mass made and often let QC slip to fill orders, Colt never let anything past the doors unless it was right. I don't know how many S&W revolvers I have handled which had the barrels over tightened and the sights literally leaning slightly to one side. A bunch. There were almost all cop guns.

Dan Wesson did make a fine revolver. Their 1911's today are also exceptional. and have been a huge deal, with Ed Brown parts. Next year their prices are skyrocketing, making them a well made but less huge deal than before. DW is now owned by CZ by the way. A maker of fine guns themselves.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I have 3 different mfgs Olyimpic (pre-ban), EA (Essential Arms, pre-ban) and a Eagle Arms (Armalite). AR-15s are fun to build and configure since I have 2 pre-ban I can build any design. ARs are modular so buy a good lower Receiver and a GOOD lower parts group (trigger, Safety etc.) this is important. Cheap lower parts group can be dangerous as I've had one double fire on me. The Upper Receivers are the modular part. It's what you can build your design on.
There are legal problems here Barrel length, Flash Suppressors and Bayonet lug to name a few. The problems with most ARs are the Upper to Lower Receiver fit. Some will have a sloppy fit some will have a tight fit. Then sometimes there's a matching finish problem . It's better now as everybody does a Matte Black. One of my Pre-Bans has a Grey Finish so there's a mis-match. Depending where you live Sliding Stocks are illegal on Post-Ban Carbines. It would be cheaper to build your own there are many web site that will show you. I built my Post-Ban and a few Uppers and I'm no Mechanic. I've shot them and the only time I had problems were from cheap parts.

warbird

One Too Many
Since the end of the so-called assault weapons ban, many of these issues are non-existent with the exception of a very few states like CA. Companies like I talked about above, CMMG, Bushmaster etc all have as pretty much standard offerings on their rifles the M4 civvy 16"bbl, flash suppressors, bayo lugs, adjustable stocks, etc all the stuff not allowed during the ban. Plus tons of stuff not even thought of before the ban, the huge array of sights, lights etc. Also available now are the excellent quality suppressors which make the AR15 so quiet you don't even need ear plugs. Amazingly quiet. Now you do have to have a federal stamp for the suppressor and they are not cheap to buy. But you can use one on all of you AR's with a threaded barrel.

As was stated above the lower is the most important part. That is why I steer clear of some brands. If you have a solid lower, you have an extremely modular gun with uppers available to just name a few calibers, 5.56 (223), 22, 6.8, 308, 7.62 x 39, .50, etc etc. You can buy them with bull barrels and longer barrels. y standard length barrel with easily pick off prairie dogs and 600 yards. Great accuracy.

And the AR is truly a vintage gun, having been in service 40+ years now. Amazing that it has been that long for this rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic