Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if this has been posted here or not. I stumbled on it today and thought it was worth sharing.

e6d468f4.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if this has been posted here or not. I stumbled on it today and thought it was worth sharing.

This was #5, home of the great photographer WeeGee(seen here squatting over the sign), who lived in a cluttered one-room apartment above the gun shop from the mid-1930s until 1947. Learned it from a previous thread on Weegee from this forum (do a search on his name), but you can also read about it here.
http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2011/03/guns-of-centre-market.html

zetwal

I'll Lock Up

Renault

One Too Many
Well it has been a long try spell (no pun here in Texas) but I was lucky enough to grab another really nice Mauser for the collection today. This DWM (not a Ludwig Loewe!), 1891 Argentine came in with an Argentine 98/09. I already have an absolutely mint 98/08 so it was a no brainer! All matching numbers and just as minty as my 98/09. Hey the crest has been removed from the receiver and the stock, but that's about normal. I wish I had a way to take better pics as this one does not to the old piece justice. You hafta admire the workmanship on these things! The other smith and I were trying to determine what it would cost to build such rifles today. we figured around $1500-$2000 range.....

100_2842.jpg

[Renault

Last edited:

jkingrph

Practically Family
Well it has been a long try spell (no pun here in Texas) but I was lucky enough to grab another really nice Mauser for the collection today. This DWM (not a Ludwig Loewe!), 1891 Argentine came in with an Argentine 98/09. I already have an absolutely mint 98/08 so it was a no brainer! All matching numbers and just as minty as my 98/09. Hey the crest has been removed from the receiver and the stock, but that's about normal. I wish I had a way to take better pics as this one does not to the old piece justice. You hafta admire the workmanship on these things! The other smith and I were trying to determine what it would cost to build such rifles today. we figured around $1500-$2000 range.....

100_2842.jpg

[Renault

Good looking rifle. I know nothing about the "South & Central American Mausers" and basically have focused my interest on the model 96 Swedish Mausers, having one somewhat unique rifle. It is an 1900 Mauser Obendorf, made in Germany model, dated 1900, two digit serial number, and arsenal converted to the short rifle configuration, all serial numbers matching. I picked it up at a gun show in Tyler about six years for a very decent price as the show was shutting down and the dealer did not want to carry it home, and probably did not know all the history there as he was selling it for less than the standard Model 96's.

My other area of interest in military sulrplus rifles are the Swiss, my oldest being a 1871 Vetterli that apparently was well cared for over the years. The barrel looks smoother than a lot of newly manufactured rifles of today. I converted it from rimfire to centerfire and form cases from either .348 Win or 8mm Lebel brass and use bullets .429 to .431 diam and 240-300 grs, cast and definetly low pressure loads.
Others include a model 1911, probably the cleanest and most accurate military rifle I have and then several of the K-31 models.

I may just have to start looking a bit more for a clean single stack Mauser like those Argentines, especially one of the carbine models.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
A now deceased friend of mine sold me a Oberndorf action, the model with the eagle over the breach with the Nazi swastika on its chest. I then proceeded to add a Timney trigger, an Argentine floor-plate, a Buehler style safety lever and a Lothar Walther barrel in 6.5x55 to the blend. Once I had a composite stock and a 4-7 Leupold scope with QD mounts, I sent the whole thing to my gunsmith to assemble. Oh, the anguished cries and curses that smote the air as he wrestled with it. Oh, the snarls and curses he called down in my head to others in the shop. But when he sent it back, now renamed The Nightmare, it groups into 1/4 MOA. Y'gotta love old M98's!

Renault

One Too Many
IMHO the 98 Mauser action sets the standard for all bolt action rifles. The old Argentine 98/09's are probaby the prettiest of the 98's as well as the most sought after for custom rifles. There was probably none better as far as metal quality and o/a workmanship. Here's a very poor pic of my 98/09;
100_2466-1.jpg

Renault

Oldsarge

One Too Many
IMHO the 98 Mauser action sets the standard for all bolt action rifles. The old Argentine 98/09's are probaby the prettiest of the 98's as well as the most sought after for custom rifles. There was probably none better as far as metal quality and o/a workmanship. Here's a very poor pic of my 98/09;
100_2466-1.jpg

Renault
Damn straight! The days when you could get a first class Argentine action for $45 are long gone. They simply aren't on the market anymore except for rare single offerings on the gun auction sites and then they cost nearly as much as a new built custom action.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Here's my latest, an H&R M1 Garand. This was a CMP Service Grade H&R, which I just received from CMP about ten days ago. It has an H&R receiver, barrel, stock and rear sight. The bolt, operating rod and trigger group are all Springfield Armory marked. I just took it to the range today and put my first 24 rounds through it, and I'm very pleased with the way it shoots. Maybe now I won't be dead last anymore in the CMP shoots at my club! :D
Picture049a.jpg

I was at a gun show last weekend looking for some accessories and spare parts for the M1 Garand and I came home with a little cousin!
Picture071a.jpg

Actually it's a commercial M1 Carbine and not USGI, but I couldn't resist the price.

officerbob38

New in Town
:D

Here are a few of the guns I own. This is a spit in the bucket but I do collect. A great past time hobby that keeps me occupied. All these guns have the original boxes and papers. I have more then this just not pictured.

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

Boa4.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
:D

Here are a few of the guns I own. This is a spit in the bucket but I do collect. A great past time hobby that keeps me occupied. All these guns have the original boxes and papers. I have more then this just not pictured.

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

Boa4.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

Officer Bob, those are some nice revolvers. I too love the old revolvers. I had a Model 15 snubby years ago that I got rid of and I am still kicking myself over it. I still have my Model 10, 12, and 64 snubbies not to mention a bunch of J-frames. And welcome to the Lodge.

Kirk H.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Officerbob,

I am a big fan of the S&W Model 42's with the internall hammer. They still make the J-frame but not in that beautiful blue. I have a K-frame 44 Mag with a 3" barrel and I am amazed how accurate the gun is.

Nice collection

Terry292

New in Town

Top: S&W Bodyguard .380. This is my everyday carry piece; it's my get back to the car weapon. It fits comfortably into the right front trouser pocket without any tell-tale bulges. Right: Springfield Armory XD40. This pistol migrates between vehicles. It's the back-up for when I do get back to the car. I keep 27 rounds of ammunition with it. Left: Star BM 9mm. I call this my "pimp pistol" because of the chrome finish and imitation ivory grips. I carry it when we are going out for a formal affair. It once belonged to my late father-in-law. All these pistols get regular use.

Two of my favorite quotes concerning handguns come from GEN George S. Patton, a true American warrior. A correspondent once asked him about his "pearl-handled pistols", and he replied, "Ivory, son. Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol." That's why I call the Star my "pimp pistol." On another occasion, after he'd broken up an apparent kidnapping on his way to a dinner party, he answered a question, "A handgun is as much a part of my evening attire as a white tie." That's why I carry the Star when we go out on the town.

Last edited:

officerbob38

New in Town
Glad you enjoy my collection. Its been a hobby of mine and started from scratch. I am glad I got into it being young. Thanks for the warm welcome. I like this forum alot. I just picked up a Remington model 788 today for 165 bucks. Gun was mint and is being put up. Talk about deal of the day. Haha, I will have to take a picture of some of the others I own.

Terry, You know I've been looking for a chrome Colt .380 or Super .38.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm daydreaming about a modern single-action revolver. Will not be buying imminently but hopefully soon-ish. I'm thinking Ruger? For quality of construction, at a reasonable price, I was told they were setting the bar - does anyone have any dire warnings I've been misled?

I don't want to save money on a Taurus but then have hefty gunsmithing bills. I REALLY don't want to buy something expensive and then have gunsmithing bills!

Advice gratefully received.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats