Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Renault

One Too Many
I remember our conversations on the Darne shotguns! They are superb guns!!!!!!

BTW,,,,,,, This just in.......

We've got our Nilgai hunt in South Texas planned for the second weekend in December! Hopefully I'll have some cool pics to post in the Outdoors Thread! Tasteful I assure all!
Probably use my Whitworth Express Rifle .375 H&H (see below)and my 9.3 x 62 as back-up.
100_2477.jpg

Renault

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I attended the International Military Antiques warehouse tour/plunder (as well as the Victorian Rifle Shoot that followed) in Easton, PA on October 22 and came back with this Gahendra (Nepalese Martini-Henry rifle variant) project. Not wishing to start it until a few friends saw it in its "untouched" condition complete with 100+ years of grime and dried yak grease ("yakolene"), I took it to the range the other day where they could see it and I could get some photos in decent light. So here's what it looks like at this point. I'm going to start the restoration shortly.
Picture091.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture088-1.jpg

Picture086.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Gahendra.jpg

Picture093.jpg

Last edited:

Cicero

A-List Customer
Wow your Nepalese Martini-Henry rifle variant is a real beauty, even in this condition.
Don't forget to post some after pic's when the restoration is done.
Thanks for sharing.

WH1

Practically Family
I remember our conversations on the Darne shotguns! They are superb guns!!!!!!

BTW,,,,,,, This just in.......

We've got our Nilgai hunt in South Texas planned for the second weekend in December! Hopefully I'll have some cool pics to post in the Outdoors Thread! Tasteful I assure all!
Probably use my Whitworth Express Rifle .375 H&H (see below)and my 9.3 x 62 as back-up.
100_2477.jpg

Renault

Looks exactly like my Whitworth, Leupold Vari X III 1.5x5x20 scope and all. I am taking it to Montana tomorrow for elk and mulies. Can't wait, who needs Christmas, just give me a cool morning in the mountains and a bull bugling.

amador

A-List Customer
Let's see if this works, I have an interesting 1911 .45ACP with a 3in barrel.

6355495257_61f860126f_z.jpg

After a couple of edits I managed.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Practically Family
Pictures of that old Martini-Henry reminded me of an old rifle I have put back.

It's a model of 1873 Swiss Vetterli, a bolt action repeater. It has a tubular magazine holding something like 11-13 cartridges in 10.4x54R, R being rimfire. It uses a lifter mechanism somewhat copied from the earlier Henry lever action.

I have converted it to centerfire and make brass by cutting down either .348Win or 8mm Lebel brass and reforming. Actually for a quick load a .429 bullet of 240-300 gr designed for the 44 Special works fine.

I picked it up about 5 years ago off an internet acution, probably paid too much, but I did get wood that is attractive and in very good shape, and the bore is perfect, bright and shiney, better than a lot of new rifles.

I have not shot it much, just enough to get it working, but it's a lot of fun, and a bit of work. The old gun is so long, it you had a bayonet you could probably stick a target before the bullet arrived.

I got a gem for a gun that is roughly 138 years old.

The only thing lacking is a safety, and I presume at that time it had not been invented, at least for a turnbolt rifle, of which this is one of the first.

I'll have to get the camera out and try some pictures.

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
"just give me a cool morning in the mountains and a bull bugling."

Oh He** yes!!!!!!!!!! There is nothing that will bring tears to my eyes quicker than being in the mountains with my boys, and the bulls just echoing thru the meadow!!!!!!!!! Center of the Universe!!!!!!! Talk about the hackles standing up on the back of your neck!!!!

Renault

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...You guys are killing me here!! :eeek: Can`t remember if I posted to this thread,but...

Glock 23, .40SW - - - Sig Sauer P232-SL (w/Nill grips), .380 - - - Walther P38/P1 (w/Manuhrin markings), .9mm

I`ll upload pics to photobucket as time permits.

HMH

KilroyCD

One Too Many
That Martini Henry is .577/450 caliber. I'm thinking of getting a subcaliber conversion kit so I don't have to mortgage the house just to fire it. Even with reloading, the .577/450 isn't cheap.
577-450.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That Martini Henry is .577/450 caliber. I'm thinking of getting a subcaliber conversion kit so I don't have to mortgage the house just to fire it. Even with reloading, the .577/450 isn't cheap.
577-450.jpg
Yes! I had a Martini-Hennry rifle for a short time, then I priced the empty shells, I believe $90 for 20 and that was about a decade ago! Nice find and a good candidate for a different chamber.

amador

A-List Customer
@ Amador.

Amazing!!!
I have a soft spot for 1911's and this one is pure eye candy. :cool:

Springfield?

Springfield indeed. I looked for it for about 2yrs. Finally had one tracked down by a Springfiled Armory rep who walked into the store in Bonners Ferry while I was asking the clerk about it. Pistol came with only one magazine. Could be effective for close up, I don't expect to engage beyond 7yrds it shoots well at the range. Hvy wt helps with recoil, had two stovepipes during first two boxes of low cost commercial reloaded ammo, now shoots well with factory Winchester. Have tried Hornady Critical defense with no problem. Size is good for concealed carry. I have not been able to find another one. I am also loking for a Springfield Ultra
Compact 3.5 in in stainless.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Since most concealed carry is with an IWB (inside WaistBand) holster, I fail to see the advantage of a shortened 1911; the barrel, all five inches of it, is tucked inside your trousers while the grip rides above the waistband. Since what is being concealed by a jacket or shirt is the grip, not the barrel, I would think that the longer barrel, which provides a better sight radius as well as increased velocity-- important if one is relying on light weight, expanding bullets-- would be a better choice than an extremely short barrel.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
The old saying "No gun too small to carry, or too big to shoot" is the reason for those. If you carry regularly, you know that while the 5"1911 or 4" S&W K frame revolver is great to shoot and can be carried with heavier jackets to conceal them, they are a pain. That's why J frame snubbies, small frame pocket guns are so popular. My "always gun" is a little Keltec PF9 that slides into a pocket easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy