Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jkingrph

Practically Family
IMG_0690.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a picture of a detachable receiver sight I made for my Ruger #1. That's not my gun but the picture posted by the guy over on 24 hourcampfire.com, single shots, forum where I got the idea.

It starts with a Burris Ruger to Weaver adapter, and a XS low Weaver back up sight. It took a bit of work with a hacksaw, grinder, and files, plus drilling and tapping for a couple of tiny 4-40 countersunk hex head machine screws to put together. Most of the Burris adapter is gone as it has two Weaver slots fore and aft of the Ruger clamping point.

I have picked up another set of adapters and a couple of sights to make two more, for the #1's that have open sights.

My eyes are bad enough now that I have some trouble using a leaf rear but a peep is fine. Currently on the three that have open sights, I have the little 2.5X Leupold scout scope mounted. I like it on the .375 H&H and .458 Win for the very generous eye relief,but like the irons better so will go this route.

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
I'm not a big fan of the "Judge" line of guns. They have been marketed heavily as a personal defense weapon but they are far too big to carry. While they may be perfect to hide under a drivers seat I think one starts getting into the gray areas of self-defense when a gun is produced from under a car seat and then used in self defense. But I am just a little conservative that way. As for snakes, I grew up around Cotton Mouths and know that there are plenty of ways to deal with poisonous snakes beside the use of a firearm.

JDG

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I find the laws about personal defense to be crazy. You can't legally just tell some guy, "Don't pi$$ me off, I have a .45.", because that's a threat, but if he acts stupid, I can legally kill him and then say I was sure he was going to kill me.

The other part I find silly is that I have to have the gun hidden on me, not in the car, at least in Kansas.

??

budrichard

Familiar Face
Here's some S&W "Governors" I mocked up on my computer... maybe they wouldn't be so bad with custom grips... (WAY better than the rubber stock grips, anyhow)
158470480607820295_24kabTPY_c.jpg

The 'Judge' line and now the S&W 'Governor' seem to be a solution in search of a problem.
But it's all marketing and if a niche can be found, profits can be made.
For me I'll stick with my SIG P229's and MK25 I have on order.-Dick

MKL

A-List Customer
Mike,
Correct me if this is wrong, in kansas if you have a permit you can have a firearm in your auto. Open carry in the auto depends upon the city you are in.

Hi

I find the laws about personal defense to be crazy. You can't legally just tell some guy, "Don't pi$$ me off, I have a .45.", because that's a threat, but if he acts stupid, I can legally kill him and then say I was sure he was going to kill me.

The other part I find silly is that I have to have the gun hidden on me, not in the car, at least in Kansas.

??

1961MJS

Mike,
Correct me if this is wrong, in kansas if you have a permit you can have a firearm in your auto. Open carry in the auto depends upon the city you are in.

Hi

One of the shooting instructors just finished his Concealed Carry class and said that if you leave it in the car, with the wife (who doesn't have a permit), then she's illegal. I think that basically you should have a holster on you somewhere for when you leave the car. I also have a lockable box under the seat.

Later

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Might be a good time for a humbly offered public service announcement.

To get a self-defense instruction in a murder trial, most states require the defendant to meet both a subjective and an objective standard of fear. In other words, the defendant has to show that he was in fear of his life and a reasonable person in those circumstances would have been in fear of his life. Even then, the jury can find otherwise and convict the defendant. We prosecutors refer to that chain of events as, "one in hell and one in jail".

Second, even if a person is not charged with murder for shooting an assailant, there will still likely be a wrongful death action brought by the assailant's loved ones. Such a civil action can cost tens of thousands to defend and bankrupt the shooter's family, even if he ultimately prevails.

Just saying....

AF

MKL

A-List Customer
Mike,

Yes, sad but true. You would think they would fix the law in this matter. Silly, in Kansas (depending upon the city) we can open carry outside of our autos but not inside. Still safer to have a permit. We need a permit that covers the whole family. :) Or better, just open it up for everyone legally.

Mark

1961MJS

Might be a good time for a humbly offered public service announcement. ...
Second, even if a person is not charged with murder for shooting an assailant, there will still likely be a wrongful death action brought by the assailant's loved ones. Such a civil action can cost tens of thousands to defend and bankrupt the shooter's family, even if he ultimately prevails.

Just saying....

AF
HI Atticus

According to Kansas Law, if you are not charged with a crime for killing someone, AND you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you CAN NOT be charged in civil court for wrongful death. Of course, that hasn't been tested yet and I sure hope it ain't my turn.

Later

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
...According to Kansas Law, if you are not charged with a crime for killing someone, AND you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you CAN NOT be charged in civil court for wrongful death.
Yes, I would be hesitant to rely on such a law passing constitutional muster. Prosecutors charge…or not…based on the standard of proof required in criminal actions, which is proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Civil wrongful death actions need only to be proved by a preponderance of the evidence...a much lower standard. To allow, or disallow, a private cause of action based on the decision of a prosecutor in a companion criminal investigation would probably, at the very least, violate the Constitution’s Due Process Clause. In effect, it would allow the district's prosecutor to determine who can be sued for wrongful death, even though he or she would have no standing in such a civil case.

AF

budrichard

Familiar Face
Wisconsin enacted three pieces of Legislation last year germane to this discussion.
First the ability to obtain a Concealed Carry License if you meet the requirements. The Law does not address a Civil immunity if you act while carrying concealed with a License and I would suspect that neither does Kansas Law but I have not researched the Kansas Legislation.
The second piece of Legislation is known as the Castle Doctrine Law and removes the burden of proof of intent if you shoot someone that is in your residence or vehicle illegally while of course you are inside. This Law does provide for Civil immunity in this case.
The Concealed Carry Legislation also allows anyone to carry a loaded unconcealed handgun in a vehicle.
The third piece of Legislation removed the requirement for casing a long gun in a vehicle as long as the long gun is not loaded. Welcomed by hunters!
In any event this trio of Legislation along with Wisconsin's own Right to Bear Arms amendment passed a few years ago provides for powerful tools in the fight against crime.
The NRA and the WISCONSIN CONCEALED CARRY ASSOCIATION with Jim Fendry led the way and should be congratulated.-Dick

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
North Carolina's NCGS 14-51.3 does address civil liability but the statute simply states that, if the use of deadly force is justified under our home defense statutes (14-51.1; 14-51.2), then civil liability will be barred. In other words, it makes our criminal home defense statutes a possible affirmative defense in certain civil wrongful death actions. Of course, such a defense would be proved or not proved in the wrongful death action, itself. Nothing a prosecutor does or does not do in a companion criminal action would be relevant.

AF

Doublegun

Practically Family
Could life get any better than this?

409536_235523593191299_124409177636075_583438_444504314_n.jpg

For several years I worked weekends at a gun club pulling skeet and trap in the mid-70's and I don't ever recall seeing a creature like that but I dreamed of it. Clearly it was a simpler less litigious time; no ear or eye protection.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Colts.jpg
[/IMG]

A Colt Detective Special from the 1990s (When they reintroduced them again) and a Colt SFVI ( A stainless steel D-frame that they then changed the name to the DSII before discontinuing it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo