Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Rathdown

Practically Family
I agree. Most of my handguns are old school, as is the gun leather. A Tom Threepersons slings my pre-war N-frame Smiths, and my post-war K- & J-frames also ride in leather from the late 40s and and early 50s. My SAA usually rides in a Heiser rig that belonged to my father in the mid-1930s, or in a Red River holster made by Phil Spangenberger back in the 70s. The exception to this rule is the M-12 holster I toted while in the Army; a gift from John Bianchi, my ANG CO and designer of the holster, it is the only non-leather holster I own.

Pappyb23

New in Town
I love the old K frames I have two, one I bought and the other was my grandfathers that he carried it as a Chicago policeman for 35 years. They simply don't make revolvers like they used to.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
It seems that nylon is becoming the new standard in gun shops by me, even the Chicago police have adopted nylon rigs. It's a shame if you ask me I was and still am a fan of leather holsters, especially for revolvers.

The trend to getting away from leather holsters started in the 90's when Uncle Mikes made some nylon duty rigs. When I started 22 years ago we were issued a k-frame with a leather Don Hume holster. When we transitioned to the semi auto pistol in 91 we were still issued leather. In 2005 we switched to the Safariland "plastic holsters". I also remember when our detectives caried Don Hume pancake hoslters but over the last several years they have transitioned to the the Safariland ALS and Blackhawk Serpa rigs. Nylon web gear is approved for us for our class B uniforms,but I still prefer the leather gear and wear it. To me it gives more support for all the stuff that we have to carry.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I agree. Most of my handguns are old school, as is the gun leather. A Tom Threepersons slings my pre-war N-frame Smiths, and my post-war K- & J-frames also ride in leather from the late 40s and and early 50s. My SAA usually rides in a Heiser rig that belonged to my father in the mid-1930s, or in a Red River holster made by Phil Spangenberger back in the 70s. The exception to this rule is the M-12 holster I toted while in the Army; a gift from John Bianchi, my ANG CO and designer of the holster, it is the only non-leather holster I own.

Rathdown that is some nice leather gear you have.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
In my book any holster is better than no holster... that said, most gun shops have a box of old holsters kicking around somewhere, and with a bit of scrounging a good holster (ie: leather) can usually be found for around $30. Likewise, a "HOLSTER WANTED" ad on a 3x5 card can usually be thumb tacked on the bulletin board of your local police station-- you'd be amazed the stuff that turns up this way. E-bay is another excellent source for vintage era holsters at reasonable prices ...

So true, just yesterday I was looking through one of our local gunshops bargain bins and found a Bianchi belt slide in great condition for my Colt Detective Speacial for $10.99. I had to give it a home at that price.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Sounds like you did well on that Bianchi belt slide.

In all fairness to those who have "discovered" hand gunning in the last ten years or so it's not surprising that their first holster would probably be nylon. Yesterday I stopped by my local gun shop and did a quick scan of their holster inventory and was amused to note that almost all of it was for autoloaders, and all of those holsters were nylon or formed plastic. There were a couple of "one size more-or-less fits all" revolver holsters in nylon, and two leather IWB holsters for J-frames. And that was it. When I asked at the counter if they had leather I was told that nobody makes leather holsters any more because they aren't as sturdy as nylon...

Last edited:

Pappyb23

New in Town
I'm not a fan of the one size fits all idea when it come to holsters and retention, I was shocked when I was issued new duty gear ( nylon against my will) and then holster said it would fit several models of guns from several completely different manufactures. I guess it's all dollars and cents now as I'm sure leather holsters sit on racks longer than the nylons but I'll still always be on the hunt in the bargain bins or order from A.E. Nelson, they have some vintage designs for reasonable prices.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I too have never been a fan of the one size fits most and prefer leather for both on and off-duty. To me leather just helps to conceal the weapon better.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
The leather "pancake" style can be pulled very flat against your waist and so is much easier to drape a loose shirt or sport coat over it to make it disappear. The rigid synthetics allow for a much more secure retention system to avoid losing the gun in a struggle. Convicts train other cons how to "blade" and strip out a thumb break holster from the front.

Check out the ALS or SLS system by Safariland, I wear that most days.
http://www.safariland.com/dutygear/duty/als.aspx

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I agree with Deacon on the ALS. The one we are issued is black plastic that looks like high gloss leather. It is a very safe hoster against gun grabs. With that being said I wear that on my leather duty belt with leather keepers, hand cuff case, flash light holder, etc. Safariland seems to have the lions share of the duty gear market here in NC. Before we were issued that holster we had a G&G safety holster that was very easy for suspects to defeat and snatch the weapon. In 1993 we lost two officer in the line of duty because the suspect was able to do that. While I still like the leather belt over the nylon (the leather tends to do a better job of supporting all the gear we are issued and does not wear out as fast as nylon in my oppinion and from past experiences) synthetic hosters have come along away from being a one size fits most. I know there are still pleanty of holsters out there with a "will fit" chart on them, but the ALS is designed for specific weapons and they have models that can accomadate a weapons mounted light system i.e. Tac Light for those that are issued them.

Pappyb23

New in Town
Ah I understand, yes the ridgid synthetics are very nice for duty and they do come in diffrent leather patterns so they are very versatile.

Pappyb23

New in Town
Ready as they will let us be, things kicked off today downtown but not too bad. They keep telling us it won't be a repeat of 68' but it's a diffrent breed of protester now.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
hello! :) I have about $550, and I cannot decide on what to get, I want a semi-automatic rifle preferably around a .357 cal. I was looking at AK 47s, ATI's, and some Tactical rifles that were too low in cal. any suggestions?? :)

BigFitz

Practically Family
hello! :) I have about $550, and I cannot decide on what to get, I want a semi-automatic rifle preferably around a .357 cal. I was looking at AK 47s, ATI's, and some Tactical rifles that were too low in cal. any suggestions?? :)

PB020067.jpg

Can't go wrong with an M-1 Garand. I bought this one about 8 years ago for $400 at the CMP. You should be able to find a servicable one for around $600 if you look around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot