Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

JEEP

Practically Family
I have a S&W cal. 22 M17 (no pics unfortunally) and these three early 19. c. pocket percussion pistols:

Legi_derringer01.jpg

An original belgian Liegi derringer with detatchable barrel and box-lock. Marked "LEG" in a circle with a star.

Lommepistol01.jpg

A larger pocket pistol with eight-sided barrel, side lock and the initials "K S" inlaid in gold or brass behind the barrel (see below). No markings.

Lommepistol02.jpg

Lommepistol02_01.jpg

Lommepistol02_02.jpg

A large double barrelled pocket pistol with box-locks and a lanyard ring. Marked with the letters "SP", an eagle and two crosses on each barrel.

All three guns are good representations of the common consealed self-defence firearms popular in the early to mid 19. c.

/Jakob

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
JEEP said:
An original belgian Liegi derringer with detatchable barrel and box-lock. Marked "LEG" in a circle with a star.

Some of these were actually "breech-loaders" of sorts; the loading would be done by unscrewing the barrel and loading bullet and powder into a "chamber" at the rear end.

All three guns are good representations of the common consealed self-defence firearms popular in the early to mid 19. c.

Exactly - they're often called "travelling pistols". They are also supposed to have been popular with sailors. The development of guns in the 19th century fascinates me - in the span of a hundred years the handgun developed from flintlocks through a stupendous number of percussion patents to lever- and bolt-actions and autos. If I collected guns myself, I'd be a "patent" collector, that is, I'd collect the different (and normally not very successful) transitional mechanisms.

Like this one: Here's a Danish (or Danish-inspired) mystery gun for you :) :

Pistol1.jpg

Pistol3.jpg

Pistol2.jpg

Pistol4.jpg

Pistol5.jpg

And welcome to the Forum! Edit; oops sorry, Lounge

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
That squeeze cocker H&K plus as an added bonus he also has a fine suppressor for it too.

"The code, please."

i didn't notice it was a squeeze-cocker...interesting.
btw i love the double barrel pocket pistol...

JEEP

Practically Family
Lucky Strike said:
And welcome to the Forum! Edit; oops sorry, Lounge

The gun you are showing looks a lot like an early "Kronborg" pistol converted with a lock inspired by the danish/sweedish remington rolling block. But actually I have never seen that pisto before. Do you know more about it? It looks quite interesting.

/Jakob

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
JEEP said:
The gun you are showing looks a lot like an early "Kronborg" pistol converted with a lock inspired by the danish/sweedish remington rolling block. But actually I have never seen that pisto before. Do you know more about it? It looks quite interesting.

Den er faktisk i hovedsag en dansk opfindelse!

That's actually mainly a Danish invention!

It's L??bnitz' breechloading patent, which was later adapted for military use in Sweden and Norway. Description in Danish.

A couple of links:

The Danish Military Museum - very good website. You'll see that the one at T??jhusmuseet is somewhat different, but the principle is still very similar - these pistols are mostly prototypes or very small production runs. The regular army rifles, however, were in wide use in Sweden and Norway from the early 1840s and until the Remington rolling-block rifles were adapted in 1867.

This particular pistol has only the faint marks you see in the photo, just behind the barrel. It probably isn't one of L??bnitz'; I haven't been able to identify the maker.

Here's a Norwegian collector's website, also very good.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I have a Columbian Navy Madsen Model 1947 (sorry, no picture) that I dearly love. I would like to build a complete collection of US WWII and WWII firearms: M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1911, M1917 S&W revolver, S&W Victory Model, etc.

Perhaps one of you fellows can tell me - what model revolver to Chicago police officers carry? I'm thinking they're .38 caliber Colts, but I'm not certain.

-Dave

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David Conwill said:
I have a Columbian Navy Madsen Model 1947 (sorry, no picture) that I dearly love. I would like to build a complete collection of US WWII and WWII firearms: M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1911, M1917 S&W revolver, S&W Victory Model, etc.

Perhaps one of you fellows can tell me - what model revolver to Chicago police officers carry? I'm thinking they're .38 caliber Colts, but I'm not certain.

-Dave

Did a little googling.

Can't find the actual brand of revolver they issue(d), You're almost certainly right in that it was a 4" .38 Spc. by either Colt or Smith.

In '92 Chicago PD authorized a few different kinds of 9mm semi-auto (Beretta and other traditional DA autos) to transition to. Apparently in July of this year they joined the rest of the world and also authorized "striker-fired" autos as well. That includes Glocks, the new S&W M&P 9mm and a few others.

Reading the NYT story from 1992 is like stepping into an earlier, dumber, age as the Mayors of NYC and Chicago parrot absolute falsehoods (actually, the same tripe their successors peddle now) in an attempt to keep from even back-handedly endorsing those eeeeevil semi-autos.

HeadHunter

New in Town
David Conwill said:

The Chicago Police Department has never issued weapons. There is a list of approved weapons from which officers may choose and purchase. The officer has to be able to qualify with it, of course.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
HeadHunter said:
The Chicago Police Department has never issued weapons. There is a list of approved weapons from which officers may choose and purchase. The officer has to be able to qualify with it, of course.

Ahh, then perhaps I'll never know. Back in the late nineties I was downtown and saw a Chicago cop dressed in a blue wool coat with a revolver handle sticking out of his pocket. I have since always wondered what it was.

Okay, I guess I'll just decide it was a S&W Model 10 and set my heart on getting one. Anybody know if the modern ugly grips they put on the Model 10 these days can be replaced with wooden ones and give the old M&P look?

-Dave

i.e. this...
SWModel10.jpg

...into this:
SWVictoryModel.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, any K frame grips, new or old, should fit just fine. You'll need to figure out if your (future) Mdl. 10 is a square or round butt though.

The grip frame you show for the "old grips" is the square.

Also, you should be able to get a pencil barrel Mdl. 10 or M&P rather than the heavy barrel (in your rubber gripped picture) if you look a little.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
Yes, any K frame grips, new or old, should fit just fine. You'll need to figure out if your (future) Mdl. 10 is a square or round butt though.

The grip frame you show for the "old grips" is the square.

Also, you should be able to get a pencil barrel Mdl. 10 or M&P rather than the heavy barrel (in your rubber gripped picture) if you look a little.

Blast, that is a heavy barrel, isn't it? Definitely gotta be a pencil barrel and a square butt. Do you happen to know what's more commonly available: the S&W Model 10 or the Colt Police Special? Either one would be just gravy with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou