Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze said:
002hair01.jpg

So CUTE! Did you get those in Wal-Mart?? I think I got mine there. Or maybe it was Michael's. I remember going out on a fake-flower-buying spree one night!

good_hair.jpg

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Wow Ladies

I have just read this thread from the start ladies and am so chuffed that you all look so fabulous and make the effort! I am getting on ok with my new short bob and can wash, dry and style it before I go out to work - I have never been able to do that before!
I look very haggard today as I have Flu and I feel and look horrendous! My hubby came home and laughed at the state of my hair!!!! :( :eek:fftopic: Sorry!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I got my hair cut over the weekend. I just wanted to have some layers so it had a little more movement and life to it - nothing too complicated. When I asked the girl to razor them, she just gave me a funny look and then asked "Why? What does that do for your hair?" I stared at her, in disbelief. Then slowly explained why I wanted them...not really sure if she was asking a general question or asking in regards to my hair, specifically. I should have jumped from the chair then! :eusa_doh:

She finishes up, and I'm sitting in the chair without my glasses. I'm squinting into the mirror because I can't tell if my hair is uneven or what is going on. I ask her "Does this side look a little longer to you?" (She never did the old "pull the hair down on both sides to check for even-ness" trick) She sighs and then says, "Eh, yeah, I guess." :eek: After she starts hacking away at my hair again (big chunks are flying around me) tries to blow dry my (still uneven) hair...she's swinging the dryer around, talking up a storm to the girl (covered in glitter and wearing Crocs) cutting hair next to us, completely missing my head. I was so frustrated I just wanted to be as far away from her as I could!

It doesn't look too bad...you can't notice it's uneven unless you really stare at it...*le sigh*

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Kim I'm so sorry.... but nothin a little curl and combs won't hide! I'd mark her off your stylist list, lol!

Nikki

Kim_B

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Kim I'm so sorry.... but nothin a little curl and combs won't hide! I'd mark her off your stylist list, lol!

Nikki

You aren't kidding there! It really isn't that bad...I've had much worse experiences than this, I just chalk it up to lessons in life and move along! Makes me feel kind of sassy, so it's all good! ;)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Amber... Thank you! It's hair like yours that makes me want to cut my own!

OHairas... Thanks! I find that the braids are my "bad hair day" fall back! LOL

Goldwyn Girl... The thickness is both a curse and a blessing. Sometimes I just want a simple small tame little do and it just isn't going to happen.

Kerry... That is a wonderful photo!

Fluer... Thank you.

Lady De Winter... Thank you so much!

Amy Jeanne... WAL-MART BABY!!! Hahahahaha

Tough Cookie... Those daffodils are fun and bright and not the same ol roses, gardenias, and hybiscus. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE them... I just like to do something different now and then! So I urge everyone to get some daffodils!!

Eleanor Marie... I love the Louise Brooks style bobs! Unfortunately my hair is too thick to pull off one nicely. :(

Kim... I am sorry about the hair blunder. :( I hate when people don't listen.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Didn't want to start another thread on this, but a question for hairdressing ladies and anyone who might know better than me...

If I wanted to get rid of my black hair dye (and ultimately I know the answer is to go to a salon, but I'd rather not if I don't have to), what would happen if I used a permanent hair colourant (which has peroxide/ammonia stuff in it) in a lighter shade of brown, would it lift the black at all, or would it just be utterly pointless?

I might go to my local salon that has free (or cheap) trainee sessions for colouring if there's no way of doing it myself.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
Didn't want to start another thread on this, but a question for hairdressing ladies and anyone who might know better than me...

If I wanted to get rid of my black hair dye (and ultimately I know the answer is to go to a salon, but I'd rather not if I don't have to), what would happen if I used a permanent hair colourant (which has peroxide/ammonia stuff in it) in a lighter shade of brown, would it lift the black at all, or would it just be utterly pointless?

I might go to my local salon that has free (or cheap) trainee sessions for colouring if there's no way of doing it myself.

Hi Fleur! :) I've been wanting to do exactly the same thing. I am so bored of the black and would like a lovely chocolate brown. I have been to a few salons and they have quoted me about £150-200 (!!) which would involve stripping the black (numerous times if need be), bleach and then a brown dye. It's a long process and pretty much fries your hair. Black permanent dye is just the worst thing to try and get rid of. However, my boyfriend's sister actually got rid of her black by using those pre-lightening kits which Boots etc sell. I've read the packets and they apparently remove even dark dye from hair so I'm very tempted to have a go!

So basically no, the brown dye will do nothing to the black. Also I have enquired about this process at trainee/model nights and they all wouldn't do it and advised a more senior hairdresser.

Nina

New in Town
i got inspired by a livejournal tutorial for victory rolls posted way back on page 2. the blonde with short hair at the bottom of the tutorial.

so this is my first ever attempt at vintage style hair, well any style of hair as i never do anything to it. i got the rolls done pretty well, apart from the stray hairs i couldn't be bothered cleaning up. my main problem is what to do with the rest of my hair, it's pretty short in weird places due to apprentices being told to try crazy things on me, it's shorter one side than the other and has short bits around my ears that get in the way of this style.

any tips? i have a feeling you are all going to say pins curls but i don't think i'm up to that yet. will straight sides and back look ok? it's my birthday tomorrow and i'm considering surprising everyone with interesting hair, my best mate even made me a forties inspired dress to go with it.

victoryrollsposing017.jpg

victoryrollsposing002.jpg

victoryrollsposing024.jpg

victoryrollsposing007.jpg

sorry about the pics, couldn't get enough light up top to illuminate the rolls

G

GoldLeaf

what would happen if I used a permanent hair colourant (which has peroxide/ammonia stuff in it) in a lighter shade of brown, would it lift the black at all, or would it just be utterly pointless?

It won't do anything. Think of a black piece of clothing and then trying to dye it brown. Wouldn't do much. The same is true with hair color.

You would have to get a bleaching kit - and not one of the blond ones from the store. It would have to be a pretty strong peroxide and the nasty powder stuff. It is HARSH! Apply lots of heat and you will have some terrible icky shade, hopefully light enough, if not, repeat. Then you will have to apply the dye to turn it the color you eventually want.

It's a pain and it is terrible on your hair. Most of the products that you can buy yourself are very harsh. Even the stuff in a salon will be hard on your hair, but a little less so, at least.

What I do to darken my hair is I use a color glaze. My hair dresser uses a temporary color so it doesn't last for more than 6 weeks. It makes my hair very shiny and soft, no peroxide, and it washes out. I am naturally a medium brown, but we use a crayon red and my hair becomes a really cool dark RED shade. And its pretty cheep for a salon service - about US $40.

I totally understand getting bored with your hair color, I change mine all the time, which is why I like the temporary color.

Nina: I am impressed for your first try, you look very cute! I haven't had that much success yet! Good job!

You can use a curling iron to put some curl in the back of your hair and to curl your ends under, if you have one. Or hot rollers. I usually use a round brush and my hair dryer and turn my ends under. I also have one of those hair dryer round brush things. And I just LOVE your hair color! It's great! I am not an expert, but my only suggestion would be to maybe try to tilt the rolls forward a bit, make them a little more horizontal rather than vertical. Either way, you got the hang of it fast and look great!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahB said:
Hi Fleur! :) I've been wanting to do exactly the same thing. I am so bored of the black and would like a lovely chocolate brown. I have been to a few salons and they have quoted me about £150-200 (!!) which would involve stripping the black (numerous times if need be), bleach and then a brown dye. It's a long process and pretty much fries your hair. Black permanent dye is just the worst thing to try and get rid of. However, my boyfriend's sister actually got rid of her black by using those pre-lightening kits which Boots etc sell. I've read the packets and they apparently remove even dark dye from hair so I'm very tempted to have a go!

So basically no, the brown dye will do nothing to the black. Also I have enquired about this process at trainee/model nights and they all wouldn't do it and advised a more senior hairdresser.

Bah. I somehow knew that would be the answer! I have seen a lightening shampoo kit thing in Superdrug before so might pop there tomorrow. And failing that, to Boots! Thanks for the advice!

Thanks Goldleaf too! I just thought that a brand with peroxide in might work as the guide on the side usually shows a lightening for darker hair colours. Alas.

G

GoldLeaf

Yeah, it may lighten a little. The danger is, you aren't naturally as dark as you are. If you had naturally dark hair, it would lighten a bit. But since you are dyed black, it may lighten it a bit, but who knows what undertones would be exposed. You could end up brassy or with a strange grayish hue. Or patchy! If the black dye is more concentrated in one place, you could end up with strange colors. :eek:

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Wow Ladies you've all got such lovely hair, and the styles.......wow I'm just fantasizing about trying them out on my own hair:D
I'm curious, what's the average length for these styles, especially reverse rolls?
My hair is at my waist, and while I love having it long, it needs a good trim, and it doesn't want to go into any style other than combs.
I'm seeing a stylist at the end of the month, who specializes in vintage styles, and I'm hoping I can get some info to help figure out what would work best for me, instead of flying blind.
Any help would be lovely:)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Nina said:

That looks very nice Nina!!!!!!!!! I must try some retro hairstyle myself sometime, my hair is also short ,in a bob, you have inspired me!
Congratulations again, you look great :eusa_clap

(by the way, love your shirt)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Thank you for posting those photos, Nina! My hair looks about like yours does - short and with layers. I was getting frustrated trying to make sure they were all tucked in! After looking at your remarkable 1st attempt, I will give it another try!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
nina

My hair is short in strange places also. Right above my ears for example, and short layers in the back. What I have been doing lately is using small rollers in my hair at night in a verticle direction, instead of the normal horizontal. This has been giving my hair a nice curl to it. I dont do pin rolls, because my hair is short it always looks rather kooky, sort of a I just stuck my finger in the light socket look.
After I do my rolls. I use a bit of hair spray to keep the shorter hair above my ears in place. I havent taken a pic of how my hair looks lately, it's a little different than what I have in my avitar.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Nina your hair looks great. I love your avitar, you look like a beautiful cupie doll! Perfect pouty lips!

Fleur and others, I cannot stress enough... color will NOT lift/lighten colored hair of any kind. Sometimes if you try to put brown over black, you are just making it even darker and more damaged, and harder to get all of the color out in the long run.

If you care about the itegrity of your hair these are some of the things I would suggust. If your hair is a brunette naturally, you may want to opt to get your hair pulled through the cap and use a color remover or bleach. After processing, rinse with cap still on, then apply a SEMI permanant bown over top. This will give the appearance of your hair being lighter all over, and let the black grow out on it's own without frying your entire head of hair. You can pull thru the cap continuously as it grows out and just keep lightening the black peices only that come thru.

And yes, I strongly suggest you see a pro for professional color remover. Again, Pravanna line makes the best remover, it is the safest I have ever used. And unfortunately, the products are only as good as the stylist using them, so I hope you find someone who knows what they're doing. Just because they are licensed doesn't mean they have had the experience, etc.

If you still want to try it on your own, just keep in mind that your hair could turn out extremely dry/fried. Most importanty you must work FAST. Get the product applied quickly and evenly. Start in the middle of each hair section, then do the ends and scalp area.

As Goldleaf said, any time you want to go darker next time, always stay with a semi permanant color that fades out in about 6 weeks. This will let you experiment with other shades and keep your hair in great condition. My favorite lines are Reken Shades and Pravanna mixed with zero developer.

Also you can cut a peice and do a test to see how it's going to come out. I usually tape a chunk to a piece of alluminum foil, fold it up with the product on it and see how it goes.

Best wishes!
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou