Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Christine, this works for some so you can give it a shot.. Wash your hair and then put conditioner in it and comb thru with a vent brush or large tooth comb while in shower or whatever. Rinse. Then sling your head up and down really hard and/or side to side. This will break your hair up into tendrils. DON'T pick or comb after that. Lightly towel dry by scruching, trying not to disturb anything. Scrunch in a soft mouse or spray gel meant for curls. Let dry naturally or difuse using a HUGE bowl type difuser, the kind with "fingers" in it. Scoop up some hair and hold it close to your scalp for a few seconds. Then take it all the way out and go to another section.
You could also try sectioning your hair after you get out of the shower to dry into like say, 10 ringlets instead of a zillion.

That may help for an every day type look, or a quickie... but I also second the magnetic rollers for the smoothest, sleekest curls and waves.

Those of you with shorter layers and such, really try to think outside the box. If your hair is good and teased up and sprayed, you can mold it into almost anything. It usually doesn't have to be long, you just have to fake it. If I can figure out someone to help me video some do's, I'll show y'all some tricks!

Beautiful pics girls, and hello to the newbies!!

Nikki

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Christine said:
:eek: Don't feel too bad, i'm having the same problem as you are. The 'hairstylist' cut my hair into layers that make no sense at all. They don't even blend and one side is longer than the other. I'm betting you don't have an almost perfectly round fro like I do. lol lol

no.. but if i curled each and every layer singly, I would have the biggest afro you have ever seen. :eusa_doh:

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
Okay, I have a hair question that's been plaguing me for awhile now. How can I get volume at my roots in the way the ever-so-lovely Dita von Teese does in this picture?:

ditahair.jpg

I got a lot of hair, that's pretty thick, but it doesn't have much volume to it. I've used volumizing mousses before, but I'm not quite sure how to use them, what effect they'll give and which brands are good. Every time I've used one it didn't really do anything.

Also, any good "patterns" for rollers or tips to get waves like that?

Just wondering, to get that kind of effect do you roll the hair over and up on the curler or under and up? am I making sense? lol

Emblaze

Familiar Face
A friend recently looked at the photos on my mobile and was slightly shocked by the fact that they're almost ALL of me posing with different hairstyles. In my defence, I tend to practice with my hair at night and then I take pics to help me recreate the hairstyles the next morning.

Me with one reverse roll that worked, and one that didn't:
rolls.jpg

A style I composed yesterday evening, and then couldn't recreate for the life of me today:
Photo-0083.jpg

Me today. You can't see the curl very clearly, but it's a flat pincurl-ish thing at the side of my forehead. I want to work on this style and hopefully get the hair on top to go more organically round into the curl, rather than being completely flat with the curl pinned on rather severely. This picture is actually dreadful. Please excuse the fact that I look very tired and appear to have a triangular white nose!
Photo-0084.jpg

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Me today. You can't see the curl very clearly, but it's a flat pincurl-ish thing at the side of my forehead. I want to work on this style and hopefully get the hair on top to go more organically round into the curl, rather than being completely flat with the curl pinned on rather severely. This picture is actually dreadful. Please excuse the fact that I look very tired and appear to have a triangular white nose!

I have the same problem! I have fine hair that tends to curl (but not beautifully and evenly like the those lucky ladies with even, wavy hair--it's more of a royal mess than anything). So, it's not thick but I just have a LOT of it---how do I get the weight of the hair lighter to not just have a pincurl plastered on the head flatly?

(ps--emblaze--you look adorable! I don't know what you're talking about!)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I call this one

I call this one, Faythe the Pretty Car Mechanic. I had to work on my car today, so while I was waiting for it to cool down, I got my hair wait and played. The back is not so vintage, two silly little pony tails pulled high, a roll with my bangs, and folded heart print bandana in a Rosie the Riviter inspired bananda (folded in fourths, wrapped around head and tied atop, ends folded under).
Photo0131.jpg

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
I took these pics as part of a tutorial type thing to help girls on another forum with a vintage sort of style, or rather, show them how I do it. I am wearing my utterly unvintage pyjama top so ignore that!! This is the last photo in the set! I was pleased with how it turned out.

400600956_4a627268b7.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this picture of you. Your skin is flawless and so pretty and with your hair color, you really are a striking woman. Dita Van Tesse, move over honey, The Fedora Lounge has a beauty of our own.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
Jazzbaby, that is indeed another great option. Esp. if they were to pull it through the cap first and get out "some" of the black.
Also a very good idea if you are a natural blond or dishwater color, and need to grow out the black. Again, use only semi permanant, and as she said, only the regrowth. (Unless the old highlights need to be recovered if they'd faded). If need be, you can use a lighter brown each time until the black is finally gone.

The reverse rolls with a french roll or chignon in back will disquise the dark ends while growing out too.

Nikki

I knew someone years ago who did this, she had waist length hair and as the colours blended she had a good few inches each of about six different colours, and it looked fabulous! especially variegated twists and rolls. once you learn to work with it, this method can be a bonus.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Grnidwitch said:
I absolutely LOVE this picture of you. Your skin is flawless and so pretty and with your hair color, you really are a striking woman. Dita Van Tesse, move over honey, The Fedora Lounge has a beauty of our own.

:eek: shuuuuush!

(but thank you, I am feeling bloaty and gross today and you've just made my entire week!)

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
:eek: shuuuuush!

(but thank you, I am feeling bloaty and gross today and you've just made my entire week!)

Oh honey, you could wear sack cloth and ashes and still be stunning. ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Faythe you look adorable.. love the pigtales! When did you go blond? I thought your hair was brunette from your other pics...
Looks great!

Nikki

pretty faythe

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Faythe you look adorable.. love the pigtales! When did you go blond? I thought your hair was brunette from your other pics...
Looks great!

Nikki

Thank you Nikki.
It all depends on what kind of lighting I am in. I've been dying my hair a dark golden blonde for years. Or a light auburn. I switch it up every now and again. (I can't recall what my natural color is. Even when I didn't dye it, my roots were always darker than the rest and looked like a dye job growing out. lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou