Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
Wow!
Have you told us yet how you did this?! Please tell me more how you put the rollers and how you comb the hair. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh my goodness, what a compliment this is Mary, thank you.

I used three different sizes of foam rollers, pictured below, to achieve this look.
IMG_3384.jpg

My hair is cut shorter in the front and longer in the back so I use the smaller rollers in the front and the larger in the back with the teal ones throughout the middle. I mentioned before that I push a wave into the front of my very wet hair just after combing setting lotion into it. I let it dry a bit and then I take the yellow rollers and begin rolling sections starting where I set the wave.
I can't find a good way to explain how I roll the hair onto the rollers, so I drew pictures.lol
IMG_3386.jpg
The one on the left is how I set the front of my hair, using yellow rollers, to give it height. For the next row of curlers I alternate the direction I roll my hair on the curler. The first curler is rolled in the direction of the first row of rollers, like the spiral on the left, and the second roller is rolled like the spiral on the right. I keep alternating until I finish that row. I continue the next row in the same way but I start to work in the teal curlers. When I get around towards the back I start to use the pink curlers and I roll them all like the spiral on the right, so they would make my hair flip out, if that makes sense.
As far as the side that does not have the wave on it, the side with less hair, I begin by rolling the hair like the spiral on the right and alternate right away. I also switch to teal rollers on that side in the second row of rollers, I don't know why I do it that way, I just do.
I hope all of this is making sense, I'll be sure to take pictures the next time I set it this way. If you think about it logically, in the front you are rolling for more height and in the back you are rolling for less height so you roll the hair on the curler in a manner that will achieve what you are rolling for. The same principles apply to pin curls I guess.

As far as the brushing out goes, I brush following the pattern of the wave which usually means brushing diagonally back from the part and then sort of forward. I also brush with the hair between my hand and the brush, usually with some hair lotion on my hand to smooth the frizz. I brush a lot. Brushing takes the most time with this set. I just keep brushing until it looks right, and sometime it never gets there.lol I also like to take undiluted setting lotion and smooth it over my hair when I feel I am finished styling. I then smooth everything out with a comb so the top of my hair is smooth.

I really hope this makes sense and please feel free to ask questions, I'll try and answer the best I can. If anyone is interested I'll take a bunch of pictures the next time I set my hair this way, perhaps it will clarify things.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Clara, I love your hair!!!

So I've finally gotten out of my slump and have started doing my hair again. Yup, I do it the same way every single time, I know, but still! Here's me before a date last weekend:

apt006.jpg

Excuse the weird face:

apt002.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have VINTAGE HAIR at last-woohoo!!

More pics and words to share tomorrow- its been a REALLY long day, but wanted to post a couple of pics. I went up to a recommended hairdresser in SF that does vintage hair styles, to do a "consult" appt. He set my hair with rollers. The first pic is the before of the back, my perm with nothing in it, air-dried. The second pic is of the finished miracle he created of my hair- I'm beyond thrilled!! The third pic is the finished front- can you tell I'm so happy with the results here!!

before-back, yuck! Boring, lifeless perm...
361641836.jpg

after-back, WOW! soft pretty curls! Yippee...
361641847.jpg

after-front, with vintage hat and vintage 40s eyeglasses- I am one VERY HAPPY lady:) ...
361641852.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Pigoen Toe, it's beautiful and you should do whatever works for you.

ChanteuseCarey, that really is wow!

Ah! Now I have a reason to visit family in CA. I'll need to visit that stylist. I have very smooth healthy hair I'm not willing to sacrifice though so I'm not sure I can even get help with the rolls I need advice on? I've watched many tutorials but I need someone to demonstrate it on my hair. I don't set my hair anymore and won't unless I get some good brush curlers from my MIL and they work for me.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I got some shoot photos back, showing my most recent favourite style. Faux bangs and rolls!

3446721981_fb44d10eac.jpg

Some days I can get them to join up into a continuous roll, this was sadly not one of those days, but I think it turned out OK anyway! :) If only I could have my flyaway frizzies photoshopped out in real life! lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks ladies!!

I had my DD Sarah go with me to the hairdresser Kai and took lots of pictures! He talked through what he was doing, Sarah got to see with me how he did it, so together we can learn to do this at home. I'm having him get me the three sizes of rollers, end papers, and the double ended comb he used for me. I'll try to post pics of the set later.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
vintage hair pic with vintage outfit on..

Here is a good shot of my first vintage hairstyle I had done yesterday, with the vintage hat, eyeglasses, earrings and blouse I wore. The hairdresser worked the curls suited to the hat design and how the hat was positioned on my head.
361674675.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I got some shoot photos back, showing my most recent favourite style. Faux bangs and rolls!

Some days I can get them to join up into a continuous roll, this was sadly not one of those days, but I think it turned out OK anyway! :) If only I could have my flyaway frizzies photoshopped out in real life! lol

Always lovely, Fleur! I keep trying to master rolls, but not just yet. Hopefully my first real middy cut this weekend will help me manage my mane!

Antje

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:

fleur this is great, did you use the tutorial from the bobby pin blog, for your bangs?

Pigeontoe, great you're out of youre slump again, and your hair is fab as ever

Chanteusecarey, wow what a difference between the perm and the final set :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks Inky...

The vintage chinese print blouse was worn with my vintage 30s men's tuxedo trousers that I have had for many years. Last year I finally got around to having them altered to fit me and hemmed to wear with heels.

Inky said:
That looks terrific on you ChanteuseCarey! I love your blouse/dress very much!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Antje...

I was amazed at the final result so much that when I saw the finished style with the hat on, I whooped REALLY loud in the shop, jumped up and down and grabbed both the hairstylists hands in mine thanking him, with the biggest grin on my face...

Antje said:
Chanteusecarey, wow what a difference between the perm and the final set :eusa_clap

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thanks for all the shots you've posted Chanteuse. I know I've been writing absolute nonesense yesterday. What I meant is I hope I can find a hairdresser that can help show on my hair how to set and do rolls in my hair and the likelyhood of me finding someone like that in SF, should I ever find the money to fly over, is more realistic than me finding someone locally.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
Thanks for all the shots you've posted Chanteuse. I know I've been writing absolute nonesense yesterday. What I meant is I hope I can find a hairdresser that can help show on my hair how to set and do rolls in my hair and the likelyhood of me finding someone like that in SF, should I ever find the money to fly over, is more realistic than me finding someone locally.

Ask older ladies! Chances are they know a great deal! BUt I know what you mean, I haven't been to the hairdressers since september when I went to the fab Nina's salon in London ( a lot closer than SF ;) ) and I have been hoping I was going back to London soon so I could visit them again. Sadly, it is time to visit my old one, my hair is getting too long, my hot rollers can't hold the weight of my hair (and I have a 22 piece set).

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:
Ask older ladies! Chances are they know a great deal! BUt I know what you mean, I haven't been to the hairdressers since september when I went to the fab Nina's salon in London ( a lot closer than SF ;) ) and I have been hoping I was going back to London soon so I could visit them again. Sadly, it is time to visit my old one, my hair is getting too long, my hot rollers can't hold the weight of my hair (and I have a 22 piece set).

Darhling, I recommend Floris Salong http://kartor.eniro.se/query/what/map/disable_multi_company_merge/1/hits_on_map/1/search_word/floris%2Bsalong/geo_area/malm%F6/mop/yp/disable_ka/1
That's where the old ladies, old gents, and I go :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn