Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Grant Fan

Practically Family
MsMermaidMoni said:
hi ladies! i finally joined after creeping around

here I am with victory rolls! let me know if you all approve!

redvictory.jpg

I agree with Hailey it matters not it we approve but you did a great job. And welcome i hope you llike it here

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Lady Jessica said:
Okay so I've got pincurls to an art, I think. I take a shower and put my hair into two braids. Then I wear it all day and at night I take it down and pull it into curls. In the morning I have nice Shirley Temple ringlets. However... when I brush it out it just gets huge and fluffy. Nothing I do seems to settle it down.

Any advice?

I've tried adding moisture but it makes it worse!

My hair is naturally curly and if there is one thing I have learned from having curls my entire life is brushing curls almost always ends very poorly. Instead I finger comb mine pin curls out it causes much less frizz and if you use an anti frizz serum on your hands while you do it you will be set. Also once you have the frizz under control hair spray helps to keep it under control.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'd agree Grant Fan, and I just found a lovely light leave in creme by Tresemme that I use on bot wet hair and to finish a style, it only requires a tiny amount.

Haing spent years fighting my natural curls I'm learning to work with them!

Octavia

Familiar Face
Lady Jessica, I had a real battle with pincurls when I first tried them, as my hair is thick, simultaneously curly and wavy, and prone to frizz. And I have to third the fingering through instead of the brushing method. I usually finger through to separate and soften the curls, then mold them with my fingers until I have what I want. While I finger through I try to smooth my palms over my hair as well. Just a little tinkering here and there, basically. However, if you have the time to kill and the patience for it, brushing works lovely for me if I blowdry my hair smooth and then pincurl it dry.

And Moni - those rolls are beautiful!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Octavia said:
And I have to third the fingering through instead of the brushing method. I usually finger through to separate and soften the curls, then mold them with my fingers until I have what I want.

I agree! I've never brushed my hair after setting it. I'll finger through and then use a very large-toothed comb to get what I want.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
I had this issue at first too because I had read several times over if you just brush and brush, it will eventually go into waves. However, I've had much better luck with very controlled brushing. After I pull out my pincurls, I pull large sections of my hair taut to the back of my head and while holding down the ends, I brush towards the back of my head with a bristle brush (I have half nylon, half boar). I do this several times, but holding it to the head makes a big difference. It also starts to form the waves. Now the hair can be guiding to the approximate position you want it in. Next I brush pretty small sections over my left hand. After you're done with one side you will notice you have quite a bit of wave and are almost through. Now spread your fingers in the indents and move your hand up and bring your fingers closer in to each other. Hopefully you'll have luck with this!

Lady Jessica said:
Okay so I've got pincurls to an art, I think. I take a shower and put my hair into two braids. Then I wear it all day and at night I take it down and pull it into curls. In the morning I have nice Shirley Temple ringlets. However... when I brush it out it just gets huge and fluffy. Nothing I do seems to settle it down.

Any advice?

I've tried adding moisture but it makes it worse!

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Thank all of you ladies for the input! I will definitely try this tomorrow night and will let you all know how it comes out. I am determined to do this and make it come out pretty!

On a side note, the straight pins from Sally's worked infinitely better than the bumpy regular pins that you can buy anywhere else. :D

swinggal

One Too Many
Scarlet Belle said:
Nice one Swinggal! You know it was your gorgeous photos of your own do with the water wavers that inspired me to try this! Ill keep looking for the longer ones, but the short ones seem to be working ok in the mean time! :)

Aww thanks. :) I can keep and eye out for the curved longer ones for you if you like. I'm on Ebay and Etsy all the time. I'll let you know if any come up :)

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
Here's a couple of shots of my hair. On a day to day basis I generally wear it down and curly like in the first picture. The second pic is my quick up do for unwashed hair.(please excuse the messy flyaways!) :)

golddress3.jpg

dscn0685.jpg

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
RockyHorror, how the hell do you do that? I was never able to get a nice flip in my hair.
Haha it was kind of a lucky accident, It was the third or fourth day of that set (small rollers all rolled down), and i brushed it out with a round brush twirling it upwards as I went, and voila!

Nikx

New in Town
Not sure if it's been done before (I don't have time to read through 400 pages! sorry! ;) )

Here's MY hair do! For the past 8 years!

nikx-1.jpg

lol

Ok I'll leave the ladies to do their thing now ;) Sorry for the intrusion! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn