Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I did 30's hair tonight for the opening of the Petersen Auto Museum's exhibit Automotivated: Streamline Fashion and Automobiles. It was fabulous by the way.

I should have done the photos before, but here is what was left of my hair and makeup when I got home:

2010-NewPhotos117.jpg

side view:

2010-NewPhotos110.jpg

I did soft waves on the top and curls at the ends to disguise my below shoulder length hair. I realize that I am really starting to look like my dad's mother--except that I am about a foot taller than her. Or, maybe it is just the hairstyle.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Miss Scarlet said:
I finally managed to buy a lead for my camera so I can upload photos now yay! Anyway here's a picture of my hair. I've been trying to emulate Rita Hayworth hair a lot and I think this is the closest I've got. It involved a mixture of pin curls, barrel curls and rollers. Rita's hair seems really difficult to copy. Has anyone successfully managed it?

34950_596824424753_284202481_5606139_5890035_n.jpg

The first thing I thought when I glanced at your photo was "she looks a lot like Rita Hayworth". I guess your effort is paying off! Looking good!:eusa_clap

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
palespider said:
KittyT- i love your hair, mind sharing how you got the back of your hair to work? Every time i try its just a mess.

This is the easiest hairstyle ever, which is why it's the only vintage-inspired one that I do (for the most part). I twist each side back, bringing in new hair as I go, and I use combs in the sides. Then I bring the back up and secure it with another comb. The rest is taking individual curls, smoothing them around my finger, and pinning into place. I don't roll each curl into itself (if that makes sense), but turn it around once, pin, and let the end do its thing (which isn't much, as my hair isn't all that long). This helps hide the bobby pin. I just pin everything into place, mostly by feel, take a look in the mirror, and then redo certain curls to even things out or fill in holes.

This style took 24 bobby pins. Yes, I counted.

palespider

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
This is the easiest hairstyle ever, which is why it's the only vintage-inspired one that I do (for the most part). I twist each side back, bringing in new hair as I go, and I use combs in the sides. The I bring the back up and secure it with another comb. The rest is taking individual curls, smoothing them around my finger, and pinning into place. I don't roll each curl into itself (if that makes sense), but turn it around once, pin, and let the end do its thing (which isn't much, as my hair isn't all that long). This helps hide the bobby pin. I just pin everything into place, mostly by feel, take a look in the mirror, and then redo certain curls to even things out or fill in holes.

This style took 24 bobby pins. Yes, I counted.

thank you so much, i really really like it and guess i just need to practice.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
palespider said:
thank you so much, i really really like it and guess i just need to practice.

Yeah, once you get it, it's easy, though a bit time consuming. I did this style by feel in the car on my way to a wedding once!

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Grant Fan said:
This was my hair on Friday I went Rosie the Riveter style
IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

And this is Saturday I did a 60s look for the first time ever
beach.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

You are soooooo cute!!!!! What a cheeky grin! I love both styles on you, they look fantastic...but the Rosie do is particularly gorgeous. Especially with that blue coloured bandana against your red hair! Lovely.

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Octavia said:
RockyHorror, those front rolls look amazing on you! I always try to do something similar with rolls (I only have the hang of doing two asymmetrical rolls at the moment), but can never quite get it to look that nice.

Antje and bUTTERFLIEZ, those are both exquisite! I love looking to this thread for inspiration.

Anyway, last weekend I had one of those happy mistake hair days. I'm new to vintage hair so I'm still testing things out. I’d had it like this the day before (on the right):

DSC02977.jpg

I had blow-dried first - as my hair is just naturally horrific (I prefer saying that as opposed to “naturally curly” =P) and gives me coarse pincurls if I don’t – pincurled the back in lazy, chunky curls, then threw the front up in two v-rolls. The next day I took the v-rolls out to re-do them and ended up with this just by parting my hair on the opposite side and giving it a slight comb:

DSC03000.png

Not too voluminous since I didn't pincurl the front, but considering the way my hair usually behaves, this was a rarity. :) Smooth curls like this usually evade me.

Octavia, I LOVE your hair in both photos! Seriously beautiful!! Love a hair mistake that turns good. Yay!

Shirin

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
This is art right here. You could do wedding hair! Beautiful job Kitty. And also thanks for my compliment too. You're so sweet!

Tourbillion, your style is so flattering on you, especially the front view. Way to go.

Odalisque, I love your Saturday hair, especially the curl in front! Sexy!

Everyone is looking fantastic!!!!!

Vic

One of the Regulars
Octavia said:
RockyHorror, those front rolls look amazing on you! I always try to do something similar with rolls (I only have the hang of doing two asymmetrical rolls at the moment), but can never quite get it to look that nice.

Antje and bUTTERFLIEZ, those are both exquisite! I love looking to this thread for inspiration.

Anyway, last weekend I had one of those happy mistake hair days. I'm new to vintage hair so I'm still testing things out. I’d had it like this the day before (on the right):

I had blow-dried first - as my hair is just naturally horrific (I prefer saying that as opposed to “naturally curly” =P) and gives me coarse pincurls if I don’t – pincurled the back in lazy, chunky curls, then threw the front up in two v-rolls. The next day I took the v-rolls out to re-do them and ended up with this just by parting my hair on the opposite side and giving it a slight comb:

Not too voluminous since I didn't pincurl the front, but considering the way my hair usually behaves, this was a rarity. :) Smooth curls like this usually evade me.

I like it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn