Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I used gel and water mixed together.

I tried putting wet (with the water gel) hair in cold sticks and dry hair (without the water gel) in hot ones. What's the best way? Also, the curls weren't very good. I suppose practice will hopefully make perfect.

Am considering changing my look to "unfashionable lady in 1962" so I can wear all my 40s and 50s clothes but just have my hair in a beehive, which is the only style I can do well!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
What make are your Hot Sticks Ada Veen? Some just don't get hot enough.

I always spray my hair with plenty of setting lotion, and blow dry, THEN use the Hot sticks. Make sure to leave them in as long as possible, or at least until completely cold. And practice does indeed make perfect!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
They are Clairol. Thanks Fleur, I'll try that. I saw your hair in the 'show us your hairstyles' thread and my oh my, it's lovely.

What setting lotion do you use? Where do you buy it?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Hmm I've never seen Clairol hot sticks so I can't comment on how hot they get, but what really work are Babyliss ones like this - http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/details.asp?ID=BAB3019Uhotsticks

But not those as they are expensive, I got a set from eBay for under a fiver so do regular searches on there!

I use Lottabody, which I actually got from America, but I just found some on eBay again, for £3.49. some people don't get on with Lottabody, or have to experiment with the dilution, but I find it great mixed half and half with water and in a spray bottle.

Snookie

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
What make are your Hot Sticks Ada Veen? Some just don't get hot enough.

I always spray my hair with plenty of setting lotion, and blow dry, THEN use the Hot sticks. Make sure to leave them in as long as possible, or at least until completely cold. And practice does indeed make perfect!

I used to do that method, but it took too long and I didn't get a good curl. Now I skip setting lotion altogether. I start with dry hair, section it, and spritz each section with an alcohol-based hairspray right before putting it in the Hot Stick. (I think most aeresol hairsprays should be OK - I wouldn't recommend a watery hairspray with a pump.) Make sure you don't overwet your hair, or else it will still be damp and limp when you remove the curler.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fleur De Guerre said:
Hmm I've never seen Clairol hot sticks so I can't comment on how hot they get, but what really work are Babyliss ones like this - http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/details.asp?ID=BAB3019Uhotsticks

But not those as they are expensive, I got a set from eBay for under a fiver so do regular searches on there!

I use Lottabody, which I actually got from America, but I just found some on eBay again, for £3.49. some people don't get on with Lottabody, or have to experiment with the dilution, but I find it great mixed half and half with water and in a spray bottle.

I use the Babyliss Hot Stix too and I'm amazed at the curl I get from them. Obviously the longer I leave them in the better, but even a quick set left in for about 20 minutes gives me a nice curl.
I give a light misting of setting lotion to dry hair then curl. Like Snookie said, whether your using hair spray or setting lotion, make sure to not over wet the hair for even with the heat from the curlers, it just won't dry and will leave your curls heavy and limp. After the curlers are in I spray with an aerosol hair spray, but not too much for I don't want crunchy hair.
I just wish that the sets I get from the Hot Stix lasted longer. It seems like no matter how hot they are or how long I leave them in, my curls go limp after about a half a day. By the end of the night my curls are usually completely gone. But, I'd rather use this method every day then sleep in a wet set. Wet sets definitely last longer, but not long enough for me to give up a good night sleep!

Oh, I wanted to add that I like to set my hair in the hot sticks before I take a shower. The humidity from the shower seems to give me a better curl. Just be careful not to get them wet!!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I can leave my Hot Sticks in for about 5 minutes if I really don't have time, and the curl is great! Then again, they get super hot and my hair responds really well to heat. 10 minutes is about average for me.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Daisy! Great to see you! And your new avatar looks amazing!!

(This is the first post that I have come across of yours, so I will celebrate you here :D )

Yay for Daisy! ::hugs::

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Ladies:D
I missed seeing all of you too!
Reading all of your posts really helped to make me feel better!!
Seeing all of your pretty hair do's made me want to get out of bed and wash/set my hair! The first thing I did when I got home was stand in the shower for about an hour, then I spent another 2 hours picking out a perfect outfit, doing my hair and make up. It felt so good to be home and feel human again!! You ladies are inspiring!!!
Oh and Goldleaf, I hope you are feeling wonderful!!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Fabulous

Ladies I love this thread, you are all so incredibly talented...it is wonderful! Consider how casual our society has become concerning fashion and grooming and then consider your own beautiful and elaborate hairstyles, you raise the bar for women everywhere.
And now I shall show you my attempt at some semblance of a vintage coiffure. Admittedly my hair has looked better before and since this photograph was taken but for me, when working with pin curls, every set is an adventure- I never know what my hair is going to turn out like. Please ignore the frizz:) .
46aea197e1a71_m.jpg

Adele

One of the Regulars
ClaraB, you look so beautiful!

I honestly haven't done any sort of vintage hairstyle in such a long time -- for one thing, my hair is it the phase of "it needs to get cut asap". I have been looking for wave clips, and of course there is some vintage ones on ebay, but I also found these:

http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page66.html

You have to scroll down some to see them. Nonetheless, I still haven't decided as to whether I ought to get the ones on ebay or just get these. Decisions, decisions...

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
ShortClara said:
From one red-headed Clara to another - you're fabulous! :)
Why thank you Clara, you are too kind! I feel that I must return the compliment as I have admired your look for sometime now, you are absolutely gorgeous!!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
This is the voice of the little green monster speaking... all broads named Clara cannot post pretty pictures of themselves anymore. It makes Lolita sad and jealous! :p

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
This is the voice of the little green monster speaking... all broads named Clara cannot post pretty pictures of themselves anymore. It makes Lolita sad and jealous! :p

Now Lolita if we could make rules like that you would have been banned from posting photographs of yourself long ago, you are simply lovely and indeed one of those fabulous women I was speaking of in my original post.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany