Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Antje

One Too Many
xitsvivx said:
no matter where you go, you're going to run into stylists who "badger" .. but then again, there ARE stylists out there who care about what you really want.
Ive worked in smaller salons in smaller towns & even in an upscale salon in San Francisco & I have noticed at least in my experience that the smaller salons I worked at seemed to be more available for what the client wants & needs... but then again, the clientele were completely different too. I know no matter where I work, as a stylist I always make sure to listen to my clients & even after Im finished with the cut I ask the client to be straight forward with me. Is there something you're not liking? You want a lil more off? Blowdry wasnt quite what you wanted? ... it gets a lil annoying sometimes when the client holds back & just says YES I love it!.. and then later I find out they were unhappy. If you're unhappy, SAY SOMETHING.
I think researching where you're going to go is a good idea first off... but also as a client one REally needs to be somewhat stern or maybe as descriptive as possible in what you'd like. Bring in pictures, but dont expect to end up looking exactly like the picture itself. (ive witnessed this many a times as well) Dont bring a picture of JLO thinking you're going to get her exact highlights & cut & then somehow magically the new 'do is going to make you look just like JLO. You may have the exact color & the exact cut.. but not always is that cut & color going to flatter your skin tone, your facial features, your lifestyle. A good stylist should recommend alterations to a style if they dont think a color or cut will not flatter you. They will talk it over with you, it shouldnt be taken as badgering (not always), but more so as trying to accomodate you. Every now & then though, there will be some people that want the bowl cut even though its not a great cut on anyone.. and you just have to give it to them.
As they say "I'm a beautician, not a magician!".

I agree, people are somethimes also very difficult in telling what they really want, I always listen carefully what my client want and likes, but i cannot just copy a pictures on my clients head

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
hailey greenhat said:
I went in wanting a middy or the pic at top, the hair dresser assumed i am low maintenance with my hair and kept telling me "it (the middy) wont look good if you don't fix it every day"....DUH, thats the point? She prettymuch refused to do it saying the shorter cut will be great for days when i don't want to style my hair or "look vintage", she gave me what looks just like a pixie cut with uneven bangs (which is why the curls are different shapes) because its more modern/high fashion, as a salon that touts its self as vintage they suck when it comes to follow through. Needless to say i will not be going back to that salon, 95$ for a sad cut is despicable, Ultra Lux shame on you.

If you went in with long hair wanting to stay with long hair, but ended up leaving with short pixie hair, I'm sorry, but that's kind of your own fault as well. If YOU knew you would style your long hair everyday and that the middy is what YOU really wanted, you should never have let someone convince you into going as drastic as a pixie. Stylist & client should always come to some sort of agreement before going ahead with the service. And if the stylist just decided to cut your long locks without your consent or you knowing of their idea, within that first cut with their shears & you noticing what happend, you should have gotten right up out of that chair before letting him or her finish the service.

Antje

One Too Many
xitsvivx said:
If you went in with long hair wanting to stay with long hair, but ended up leaving with short pixie hair, I'm sorry, but that's kind of your own fault as well. If YOU knew you would style your long hair everyday and that the middy is what YOU really wanted, you should never have let someone convince you into going as drastic as a pixie. Stylist & client should always come to some sort of agreement before going ahead with the service. And if the stylist just decided to cut your long locks without your consent or you knowing of their idea, within that first cut with their shears & you noticing what happend, you should have gotten right up out of that chair before letting him or her finish the service.

I second that!

D

Deleted member 12480

sorry i took so long but *thankyou* for all the lovely comments

xxx

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Here are a couple of my hairdo's that have worked out. Not nearly as good as all yours, but I'm getting there. :) I'm still fairly new to the whole hairstyle thing as well.

42684869.png

32716251.png

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Thanks Hailey. :)

I love your hairstyle annd color Antje! I've always wanted red hair, but I think my skin is too olive to pull it off.

SheBear74

Practically Family
After reading some of the horror stories about stylists I just wanted to say... I got a great cut, at a Super Cuts! After cutting my own hair into a short middy then chopping it closer to a pixie I figured I better have someone else even it out for me. This lady listened, and started out cutting very little off until I was happy. She even told me that if I changed my mind in a couple days to just come back and she would cut it again for free! All that for 15 dollars ;)

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Newbie!

Hi, I am new. I have introduced myself in the New Ladies thread.
Just thought I'd share some hair photos from over the last couple of years!

I love the 40's-50's. My wardrobe is roughly 60/70% vintage and the rest vintage inspired.

Never used Photobucket before. Any tips will be useful! How do I add pics? HELP!

melanie

One of the Regulars
Hiya, I am new here, and I am loving this site. :)

I have only just had my hair cut today, my hair was down to my bum, but because I want to do vintage hair styles, I thought I would get it cut shoulder length with layers ect.... and here is the result :) ...

37340_405000084085_638754085_4569705_413173_n.jpg

The hairdresser simply blow dried it straight for me, but I am going to mess around with it and see what vintage hairstyles I can create. I also bought 2 bottles of Live XXL Real Red hair dye today, so I shall be dying my hair with that some time this week. :)

Any help girls on how I can style my hair 40s and 50s fashion now that I have had it cut? I have looked on Youtube and there are some fab tutorials on there, but I am wanting to find something simple, which does not take long to do, so that I can do it like that every day. :)

Antje

One Too Many
Melani, your hair looks hard to work with, but when you once master some pincurling skills you could pull of a lot of vintage styles I gues.
Vintage looks take some practice but when you get the hang of it, it is nothing more than doing a regular today's style

(for me then)

MissHannah

One Too Many
melanie said:
Any help girls on how I can style my hair 40s and 50s fashion now that I have had it cut? I have looked on Youtube and there are some fab tutorials on there, but I am wanting to find something simple, which does not take long to do, so that I can do it like that every day. :)

If you want easy and quick then vintage hair may not be for you, but if you can master a couple of updos that's the quickest thing. Pincurls and roller sets take more time and generally have to be done overnight unless you want to get up an hour or 2 earlier than usual for work! I don't mean to be discouraging but vintage hair takes work and a lot of practice with quite a few trial and error disasters along the way as you learn what works for your hair. I know some of the girls on here make it look easy but you're gonna need patience and perseverance! I learnt all the most valuable tips and techniques from women I met on forums and there is a huge amount of knowledge on this board, so you're in the right place. Good luck :)

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
melanie said:
I am wanting to find something simple, which does not take long to do, so that I can do it like that every day. :)
Melanie, I would recommend getting some hot sticks (bendy heated rollers) and experimenting with those as they are really quick and easy to get a bit of curl going. On a day when I'm in a hurry I just stick them in for ten minutes while I'm getting dressed and even this gives you a bit of shape.

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Hi Melanie,

The best thing I have found are sponge rollers. I use these from Boots, http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Small-Cushion-Rollers-T57-_1038183/

I just put them in before bed. I start with dry hair, then spritz with water mixed with a bit of setting lotion. I just spray til my hair is slightly damp with the mixture rather than dripping wet.

Once all the rollers are in I just stick a head scarf on and I am done. Then in the morning I just brush it out til I get the look I want.

I am always in such a rush in the morning, so this for me is fool proof!

Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll ask it in the hair thread! :)

What type of brushes do you guys use? I have feeling I have a wrong brush for all this brushing out. Also what do you guys mean when you say "brush, brush, and more brush"? Because when I brush my hair all I get is frizz! It ends up looking like a lions mane.

I can post pictures if you'd like, but really I'm mostly curious about what type of brush I should buy as mine is broken and I need a new one now. :p If it makes a difference my hair is naturally curly, but isn't tight ringlets more like loose waves and curls. Any help will be appreciated!

Also a question about setting lotion. Can I get it at Sally's? What brands are there? I have read a lot of this thread... please forgive me if I'm asking you things that have been asked a million times before.

PS: deleteduser you look so lovely! And Melanie, you look just like my best friend who is also named Melanie!

Antje

One Too Many
I have a boar brishtle brush, it is the cheaper version of the mason and pearson brush, (rolls royce of hairbrushes)
And I think you must get the hang of it, it takes a lot of practice to wear vintage style but when you manage to do it, it is not so difficult at all.

For a setting lotion I now use a little bottle of Junior, I don't know if it is sold outside holland, and I like that one.
and I recently ordered a bottle of Lottabody, I read a lot about it and most ladies love it, I had not the change to try it so I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy