Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Berlin

Practically Family
Sorry in advance for the rubbish Photobooth picture! Being home by yourself means not having a photographer handy!
I wore my hair like so to go swing dancing last night:

5482746615_7a4a3a2f80.jpg

Finally getting the hang of those victory rolls!

You look fabulous!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Ladies doesn't Miss Lina aways look so lovely and well put together and not to toot her horn or anything but she did a tutorial of this on her blog hope you don't mind me mentioning it. Here is the linkhttp://spiffingsporadics.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-tutorial-for-scarf-back-roll.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SpiffingSporadicsOfAVintageGirl+(Spiffing+sporadics+of+a+vintage+girl)

Land O LakesGal

Can i toot LinaSofia's horn?? Seriously i am so thrilled to have found a quick and easy updo for the mornings, plus a use for all the cute scarves i never wear! I have gotten loads of compliments from people too which is a bonus.

I struggle with my hair even though i set it regularly, being that it is so fine and lank, even rolls take me ages, so i really love this. Sorry to be gushy, but my barnet is the bane of my life and i dread styling it in the mornings. Not any more! Thanks again xx

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Land O LakesGal

Can i toot LinaSofia's horn?? Seriously i am so thrilled to have found a quick and easy updo for the mornings, plus a use for all the cute scarves i never wear! I have gotten loads of compliments from people too which is a bonus.

I struggle with my hair even though i set it regularly, being that it is so fine and lank, even rolls take me ages, so i really love this. Sorry to be gushy, but my barnet is the bane of my life and i dread styling it in the mornings. Not any more! Thanks again xx

aw girls! thank you! :eek:
I had missed that original post by Land o LakesGal! How sweet to share the link! And thank you Miss Sofia, so happy that you had success with it!! I'm going to try it out with a silk scarf to make it a bit more dressy and perhaps try and vary the front a bit (can't wait for my fringe to grow!!)... imagine it with faux bettie bangs or a roll of some description...

p.s. I am slightly mortified and embarrassed by the video in retrospect to be honest! but it was my first ever try at something like that :D

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
LinaSofia, many thanks for that scarf trick!!! I have waist-length hair and I tried it out myself this afternoon-- perfect. It looks more 1920s/faux bob on me ('cause of how much hair I've got rolled up here lol) but it's adorable and so easy.

That sounds so nice! I wish I had more hair :) ... you should post a pic!!

Kirstenkat

New in Town
certainlyred Your hair is too cute!

I tried sleeping in hot sticks that weren't hot since I left my bobby pins at my moms house, my hair came out a bit frizzy I need to invest in promenade. I apologize for crappy cell pictures, too lazy to pull out my camera :p
030311073301.jpg

030311073302.jpg

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
certainlyred Your hair is too cute!

I tried sleeping in hot sticks that weren't hot since I left my bobby pins at my moms house, my hair came out a bit frizzy I need to invest in promenade. I apologize for crappy cell pictures, too lazy to pull out my camera :p
030311073301.jpg

030311073302.jpg

You do have some nice curls, can't wait to see a full set. Did you make your dress? The ruffled sleeves are too cute.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I finally managed to do some sort of roll in my hair!

IMG_5188.JPG

(yes, please ignore the silly look on my face as this is the only photo that really turned out)

It's probably not a real victory roll since it was the result of me mucking with my bangs on my day off, but I rather like it, and it's the first real roll I've done successfully. :eusa_clap

It'll also be the first time today that I will look vintage when I go out, so wish me luck that I don't get (openly) mocked in the streets.

L.

BoPeep

Practically Family
MissLaurieMarie - Any roll that stands up is considered a victory in my book! har-har Seriously, it looks really good for just mucking about. Now if you could roll those long locks on either side, you'd really have a look!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
th_GreenCocktailSmall.jpg

This is from this morning, "casual" Friday lol. I like the style a lot, especially when it makes neat little rolls at the bottom like that. But I wish I could get more volume at the crown (I roll it right up to the scalp), and for some reason today half of it fell while the other half still looks fine 12 hours later.
I'd also like to know if any of you have any tips on keeping it more uniform. I brush it out in a few big pieces at a time and carefully curve the ends under to make those rolls, but the pieces stay separated and I'm having a hard time getting them to "mesh" if you know what I mean, especially at the back of my head which just wants to be a big ringlet because I can't quite reach back there to shape it properly.

Last edited:

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Penny Dreadful that is so beautiful! How do you style it?

Thanks for all the complements ladies. Any ideas on how I could style the rest of my hair? I have a ear-length bob that is super thick but super fine at the same time, and it's cropped short and in a V-shape in the back. I'm a complete beginner at vintage hairstyling and any tips would be a great help :)

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Penny Dreadful that is so beautiful! How do you style it?
Thank you! I have a set that I do based on a few tutorials that I've seen, 4 curls down the center, the front going forward and the rest going back, then two on each side going down. Once all the knots are out I brush it slowly against my hand, and smooth as I go. Once I get to the bottom I carefully turn the ends under to ease the curl up into a roll. It doesn't always work out quite that precisely, but it always looks good if it sets properly. What I find fascinating is how I can get such vastly different results on different days while doing the exact same thing. I was asked to do this for a Jessica Rabbit shoot a while ago, and ended up with something a lot less structured. And tbh that result is a lot more common than the one above. I'm still working on it so I can learn to control it a little more and not get such random results.
Let's hope this picture doesn't come out enormous...
jessica_rabbit_by_victoriablack4-d3a76ws.jpg

*facepalm*

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy