Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

olive bleu

One Too Many
Wow!! I have read back about 15 pages and that's all i can manage tonight! phew..there are so many beautiful hair-dos..but where are all the short-haired ladies?? I need some inspiration!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Actually, just noticed yours VintageTink..that's pretty amazing for such short hair! Mine is actually chin length right now..but I think it's time to chop it off :)

superstarmegami05

New in Town
I've attempted pin curls once before but they came out terrible so I decided to try again this morning and this is how it turned out. I actually ran out of pins after doing most of my hair so I cheated and used sponge rollers for the back. ^_^;

300507_10150761270320045_729120044_20357748_5182844_n.jpg

It's not the best picture of my hair but I love how it turned out, albeit a little untamed.

Last edited:

footloose~doll

New in Town
Hullo ladies! Good grief, I don't know where to begin. I have to confess that I've been a lurker for quite a ridiculous amount of time. I first stumbled onto this site to learn pincurling when I was 16? And I'm 21 now so.. haha. I've only recently come back and decided I should share.

I've got insane, curly hair. Which is amazing for the body but it's quite an effort to tame at times.
Here's a few old photos..
3.jpg
2.jpg

And then I decided to shave the sides of my head! like most normal people do haha. My hair isn't really "vintage" I suppose. I've spent a fair bit of time playing with different sets and victory rolls and now I'm enjoying challenging older styles. I'm currently in love with bouffants and beehives. I can get the height no problem, but I'm curious on different methods of.. fastening(lack of a better word) the hair behind besides a bobby pin or two.

But I mostly just enjoy playing with my fringe. :roll: please excuse the neutral faces! :3
5.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg

1.jpg
7.jpg

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I've got insane, curly hair. Which is amazing for the body but it's quite an effort to tame at times.
Here's a few old photos..
3.jpg

But I mostly just enjoy playing with my fringe. :roll: please excuse the neutral faces! :3

1.jpg

You've got lovely natural curls, and I applaud your styles. I especially like how you've rolled your bangs in the above photo. I like bangs but as I'm sure you know, they're hard to wear with hair that wants to kink at the first sign of dampness in the air, or even perspiration. Very nice, and look forward to more of your styles. Welcome to the group and glad you've stepped out into the light.

vintageTink

One Too Many
Olive bleu, that's the same length as my hair!
I dry set it in pin curls (it's too fine to wet set) and sleep on it (with a satin bonnet, of course). In the morning I brush them out and smooth the back and sides upward, kinda doing itty bitty victory rolls. On the bangs I separate the curls and just kind of intertwine them. Doesn't take too long. :)

Last edited:

olive bleu

One Too Many
Olive bleu, that's the same length as my hair!
I dry set it in pin curls (it's too fine to wet set) and sleep on it (with a satin bonnet, of course). In the morning I brush them out and smooth the back and sides upward, kinda doing itty bitty victory rolls. On the bangs I separate the curls and just kind of intertwine them. Doesn't take too long. :)

maybe I'll try the pincurls today..i need to do something. I was determined to grow out my last pixie cut ( in my neverending cycle of growing it out and promptly cutting it all off) and at the beginning of the summer my hair was starting to look a little bowlshaped, so i cut my own bangs ( too short, i might add) which at least gave it some shape. But, i am loathing it right now and have my hairdresser on speed-dial. maybe, if i can find something to get me over this stage....

vintageTink

One Too Many
maybe I'll try the pincurls today..i need to do something. I was determined to grow out my last pixie cut ( in my neverending cycle of growing it out and promptly cutting it all off) and at the beginning of the summer my hair was starting to look a little bowlshaped, so i cut my own bangs ( too short, i might add) which at least gave it some shape. But, i am loathing it right now and have my hairdresser on speed-dial. maybe, if i can find something to get me over this stage....
I'm the same way. But I'm really glad that I figured out how to style it or I'd have gotten sick of how it looks, cut it off, and be mad at myself. :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Afraid I'm not doing vintage styles these days:( All the occasional roller sets for vintage looks I had been having done ended up completely breaking off much of my hair! What's left is very damaged with split ends. Along with coloring my hair and swimming twice a week, my hair is very fragile. I'm still trying to grow it back, lots of it is only a few inches long. Its taking quite a while. Fortunately the Mr. likes my hair (whew!) regardless, and even enjoys how my hair looks when its put up in a clip.

Recently, a new hairstylist is using only a curling iron to style my hair- I really like how its being done. No teasing, no rollers. He's doing it again today for a dance event I'm going to this evening. I'll try to get a pic taken. The first time he styled it, it got really mussed when I slept on it. The next morning I brushed it out and it was all soft waves, very 40s-ish!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Chanteuse good swim shampoo would probably help too. I was taking my kids to some swimming lessons this summer and having to go in with the little on and the chlorine was starting to take a toll, a friend of mine (who is also a stylist) recommended that I pick up ultra swim and it does seem to make a difference. I know she has a pool and uses on herself and daughter after swimming. I bought it at CVS. Also if you have well water that can reek havoc on your hair I know it did on mine a few years ago until we switched over to city water.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Chanteuse, have you tried using a deep conditioner?

Olive, here's another pic of a different vintage style I did today.
177423_20Aug11_IMAG0228.jpg

That's really pretty! Your bangs are a nice length, mine are so short, it's nearly impossible to bring them to the side..and my hair is CRAZY thick & curly. It will not behave and look as nice and tidy as yours. Maybe i will just go for a trim..that usually calms the nest down a bit. lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks to all the ladies for their input on my hair. I do always wear a swim cap for my exercising in the pool. I put conditioner on my wet hair under the swim cap. I use a swim shampoo one time after swimming, and a color treated shampoo the other time after.
I usually blow dry my hair of late and put a color protect cream on my damp hair before the blowdrying.

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Okay, so I have had my hair salon curling iron curled up recently. First here's Saturday night 8/20/2011- the stylist called this something between the 1940s to 1960s! I wanted it put up so as to take some of the emphasis off my hair and instead put the emphasis on what I was wearing, most specifically on the sculptural lines and fabric of the cocktail dress. I think my hair came out looking very Rat Pack era! Oh, the Mr. loved this hairstyle!
IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

Last edited:

thedanu

Familiar Face
My .2 cents: If you're hair is that damaged, I would avoid heat styling like the plague. You might also want to use a swim cap while swimming, especially if you're lightening your hair when you colour it.
I agree with C-dot, if your hair is damanged you should probably try to avoid both the heat styling and the blowdrier (especially if you use heat to blowdry). It dries the hair up and makes it weak and crispy, which will make it break much easier.
I would recommend some hair mask especifically designed for damaged hair 2-3 / week, they usually work wonders.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Okay, so I have had my hair salon curling iron curled up recently. First here's Saturday night 8/20/2011- the stylist called this something between the 1940s to 1960s! I wanted it put up so as to take some of the emphasis off my hair and instead put the emphasis on what I was wearing, most specifically on the sculptural lines and fabric of the cocktail dress. I think my hair came out looking very Rat Pack era! Oh, the Mr. loved this hairstyle!

IMG_1309.jpg

Your hair doesn't look damaged in the photo, but of course that can only show so much. It's a pretty style and much longer than I expected. You're not wearing a fall of any kind? I agree with the others that I'd avoid heat, especially a curling iron. It might smooth in the short term but it will kill in the long. Is your hair a fine or coarse texture?

vintageTink

One Too Many
Chanteuse- I agree...stay away from heat styling. If you need to dry your hair, use a bonnet dryer on a cool setting. I have a vintage one from the 50's or 60's, still works great. I use the cool/air only setting on my hair. I only use the heat if I'm deep-conditioning. I used to use Ion keratin reconstuctor from sally's. Smells a bit but it helps.
Like the cocktail dress. Did you make that?

olive- I use polishing gloss. Only reason it isn't frizzy. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot