Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Clabbergirl! Its not a fall, I had a lot of hair pins and bobby pins holding it up. Mousse was applied before he started the styling. I've always had fine hair.

This is what my hair normally looks like after blow drying- my typical look these days. I typically color my hair about every four to five weeks cuz' don't like the roots and gray showing ( I am almost 53 so there is gray), especially when its pony tailed or clipped back. The color (a golden brown - 7G) fades to a pretty golden blonde shade as seen here. Since I wear conditioner under my swim cap (about an hour in the pool, twice a week) and I condition it when shampooing- its getting moisture. I think looking for treatment for healing/repairing the split ends might be a good idea- if such a stuff exists. I got this product called hair varnish, which helps with smoothing a little. A stylist has also used a bamboo oil, which did the same.

OH, the pics here were taken with an iTouch, and they somehow come out soft looking- so it may be misleading.
IMG_1282.jpg

Your hair doesn't look damaged in the photo, but of course that can only show so much. It's a pretty style and much longer than I expected. You're not wearing a fall of any kind? I agree with the others that I'd avoid heat, especially a curling iron. It might smooth in the short term but it will kill in the long. Is your hair a fine or coarse texture?

Last edited:

thedanu

Familiar Face
I think looking for treatment for healing/repairing the split ends might be a good idea- if such a stuff exists. I got this product called hair varnish, which helps with smoothing a little. A stylist has also used a bamboo oil, which did the same.
IMG_1282.jpg

The do at least sell some products that are designed for the split ends, I've had one by swartzkopf that is applied on the ends after washing the hair. It's supposed to protect and repair, I think it may be worth trying. :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Your updo is lovely, Carey!

Are you dealing with breakage or split ends? Someone on the previous page mentioned the Ion keratin treatment from Sally, which is very good. I have also used their Aphogee protein treatment - stinks to high heaven, but amazing if you have major breakage. About a year or so ago, my hair was in horrible shape because I was washing, blowdrying & flat ironing every day. It was dry and I had major breakage. I got a trim, used the protein treatment, and cut back on my washing, styling & coloring. I use an intense conditioner at least once a week. My hair is very coarse & thick and tends to be dry anyway. I have good luck with silicone or oil products for styling & keeping my hair under control & shiny, like MoroccanOil and HealthySexyHair's soy renewal. Lately I've been using Cantu shea butter as a leave-in (very good if you have thick, coarse hair).

Also, do you wash it daily? I cut back my washing & styling to 1-3 times per week and it made a *huge* difference in my hair. I let my hair air dry as often as I can get away with it. I blowdry & use a flat iron or curling iron maybe once per week, always with a heat protectant.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Carey, I think you've gotten some good advice. I eventually had to stop swimming because of the over clorinated pool that I had access to- my skin couldn't handle it. I used to swim 4 times a week. And I tried everything I could (although it was more my skin than my hair).

What I did find very helpful was to use a deep conditioning treatment on my hair while I swam and after. I used Neutrogena's hair mask (the type in the squat little jar- the stuff in the tube is lighter and doesn't work). I'd let it sit on my head for at least 10 minutes in my final shower. I know you said you used conditioner under your cap, but I wasn't sure if it was a normal one or a deep conditioner. When I washed my hair, I only put the shampoo on my scalp, and I'd actually tip my head during the rinse and hold my hair up and back, so that most of the shampoo didn't run over my hair. Then I'd recondition and let it set.

I also used a silicone swim cap, as the latex ones yanked my hair and I'd get damage. (The Finals sells silicone caps.) If you find that the cap lets too much water in, you can wear a latex cap over that one.

The other thing that you might find helpful is a really good multivitamin with biotin in it, which helps to grow hair and nails. It won't help your already damaged hair, but it will help to grow out some fresh hair faster.

I think your updo looked really glamorous! :)

Last edited:

Isis

One of the Regulars
My everyday hair. I do standing pin-curls in the evening before bed and then brush, brush, brush the next morning...

032.jpg

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Isis,
you must be VERY persistent.. :)

I never do my hair in the evening. I prefer washing it before breakfast (great thing about short hair: you can wash it in a minute). The reason why I CAN NOT do my hair in the evening is simple: short hair has a temper! :) No use doing anything to it, by morning it'll just return to it's previous position.. so, I do my styling in the morning.

..and no need to brush, brush.. (sometimes I miss it..)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The do at least sell some products that are designed for the split ends, I've had one by swartzkopf that is applied on the ends after washing the hair. It's supposed to protect and repair, I think it may be worth trying. :)

Don't be swept off your feet by these product's claims. There is no way to repair split ends - If you want to get rid of them, you have to cut them off.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
True that, but maybe they do help protect them getting damaged any further?

'Fraid not. Once the hair shaft is split, it is split. What they do, like Kitty_Sheridan says, is glue it together temporarily so it doesn't look as bad, but most of these products fail at this aswell.

wahine

Practically Family
Does any of you know if the tap water quality can affect your hair in a mentionable way? I moved to a new town, and my hair is not the same. It doesn't hold a curl as it used to. They say the tap water here has a lot of lime / calcium carbonate in it. But since I had a new hair cut shortly after moving, I'm not so sure what's really the reason for my hair mess.

C-Dot, I have to tell you again: when I cut my hair with your middy instructions, they came out better than from 3 different professional hair stylists! I think I'll let it grow and cut it myself again. Until then I might just wear a hat.
Or a paper bag.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Does any of you know if the tap water quality can affect your hair in a mentionable way? I moved to a new town, and my hair is not the same. It doesn't hold a curl as it used to. They say the tap water here has a lot of lime / calcium carbonate in it. But since I had a new hair cut shortly after moving, I'm not so sure what's really the reason for my hair mess.

C-Dot, I have to tell you again: when I cut my hair with your middy instructions, they came out better than from 3 different professional hair stylists! I think I'll let it grow and cut it myself again. Until then I might just wear a hat.
Or a paper bag.

If it's that kind of paper bag, I might switch to it too ;) I'm so glad to hear that, and I think you have lovely hair.

I'm positive water quality affects your hair. Mine is used to the nice soft city water, but when I washed my hair up north some months ago in the incredibly hard and coppery water, it felt so awful. I guess eventually you'll get used to it too - perhaps a different shampoo would help also?

wahine

Practically Family
If it's that kind of paper bag, I might switch to it too ;) I'm so glad to hear that, and I think you have lovely hair.

I'm positive water quality affects your hair. Mine is used to the nice soft city water, but when I washed my hair up north some months ago in the incredibly hard and coppery water, it felt so awful. I guess eventually you'll get used to it too - perhaps a different shampoo would help also?

Thanks for complimenting my hair, you're a flatterer. And you sure know how to wear a big flower! Got some of those myself but I don't know where to put them without looking awkward.

I'm a bit reluctant of experimenting with my shampoo since it took me a long time to find what works for me. But then, maybe it doesn't work anymore now? You're probably right, I should give it some time. After all, the place I moved to is my home town - hopefully my hair remembers the good old days. When I was young and innocent, had full hair and still could dance through the night on high heels. I don't sound nostalgic, do I ? :pout:
:D

Oh, this is my 200. post. To celebrate, I will make myself a cappuccino now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff