Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Nice work ladies! I find that Vintage Hairstyling book a little difficult to follow... but then I am quite rubbish at styling! Have you tried 'Style Me Vintage'? I find that a lot easier. I STILL haven't worked out how to hide my pins when I do pin curls like those at the side in that Homemaker style... I'm better at hiding them in victory rolls, but just flat pin curls - how do you hide them and keep the curls flat?!!

zombi

A-List Customer
alsopx.jpg

2r6iplk.jpg

My hair today!
I wish my hair would have this style every day. I can't manage to ever get this good a wave. Did you set this overnight? How so/with what?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I STILL haven't worked out how to hide my pins when I do pin curls like those at the side in that Homemaker style... I'm better at hiding them in victory rolls, but just flat pin curls - how do you hide them and keep the curls flat?!!

I had some trouble with this too. I find its easier if you slide the bobby pin more into the middle of the curl, so that a thin layer of hair goes overtop of the pin, and you clamp the end of the curl into the pin, then stuff it under a different section of hair - Does that make sense?

Pins that are close to your hair colour help too, and never use shiny ones. They catch the light and show themselves up.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Nice work ladies! I find that Vintage Hairstyling book a little difficult to follow... but then I am quite rubbish at styling! Have you tried 'Style Me Vintage'? I find that a lot easier. I STILL haven't worked out how to hide my pins when I do pin curls like those at the side in that Homemaker style... I'm better at hiding them in victory rolls, but just flat pin curls - how do you hide them and keep the curls flat?!!

I have no idea how it did it! Like most of my successful hairstyles it was a bit of a fluke! I found it was better if the bobby pin didn't grip the scalp too tightly and instead was just sort of bridging the pincurl to the rest of the hair. I've never been one of those girls who could have a zillion bobby pins in her hair and you never noticed.

I had some trouble with this too. I find its easier if you slide the bobby pin more into the middle of the curl, so that a thin layer of hair goes overtop of the pin, and you clamp the end of the curl into the pin, then stuff it under a different section of hair - Does that make sense?

Pins that are close to your hair colour help too, and never use shiny ones. They catch the light and show themselves up.

*nods* That's good advice.

Last edited:

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
This is after brushing it out at the end of day 2 of a wet pin curl set. (I was farting around with some rolls, and when I was done, brushed it all out.) It has taken me forever to finally figure out how to get the kind of long waves I have wanted since I was a teenager. I've found a set that works and will hopefully get faster to do, which products to use and how to use them, how to brush and style it and how to keep the set for more than 1 day. I am a convert to putting in some dry pin curls on the second night to keep it better.

Now I wish I had a husband who would take decent pics for me, instead of these bathroom beauties!

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

You can actually see the break where the pin curls changed direction. The front section was rolled counterclockwise toward my face and the rest clockwise.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Perm rods dent pretty badly, but you can put a pick or two where the elastic goes and it won't be noticeable. Or if you don't have a pick just use cotton swabs.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
this is my hair today. I didn't have enough time for a set to dry so I had to use hot rollers which never work as well on my hair. lol I look a little more like a character on Mad Men then what I was going for.

281959_10150339470928488_627143487_9741018_824862_n.jpg

This is what it usually looks like
293438_146239025466487_100002411706857_243834_781629_n.jpg

sorry for the bad picture, I cropped out the other girls in the photo with me and we're all making that silly face. Please only look at the hair.

Last edited:

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Very cute Vivi - and what beautiful skin you have. Ginfizz, you look great in both pics. Hot rollers never work for me either. I get the best results from a curling iron and then pincurl the heated curls and let it set for about 20 minutes.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Here's my hair today. Apologies for the uber crummy Blackberry bathroom picture. :(

2qxxir6.jpg

2nv5awl.jpg

This is actually my "lazy" natural hair. I air dry with some leave-in conditioner and Sebastian whipped creme, and then just touch up any scary areas in the mornings with a curling iron. Very quick and simple! The wave in the front is due to a strategically placed bobby pin holding my bangs off my face during the air dry stage.

For reference, I have a bob that's slightly longer in the front with cheekbone-length bangs, and I do wear it straight/flat-ironed sometimes. The color (just done Sunday) is John Frieda Precision Foam in 6R light red brown.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot