Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Isis

One of the Regulars
New blond streak and a more formal do:

028xx.jpg

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the compliments, ladies!

Christi.adell, I'm digging your short hair...love the kiss curls, they compliment your face so beautifully!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne--you mentioned a hot set for this one--did you use setting lotion? Gel? Pomade? Spill it, sister! My hair needs help! LOVE the bangs! :D

Thanks!

Just gel throughout my hair, let it sit for a bit, then spray a bit of hairspray on it. Then I get my hands tacky with gel when I roll it in the hot sticks -- this keeps the hair together (I have thin, silky hair). Nothing else! :)

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Haha - As usual, you lovely ladies are an inspiration - all these blonde streaks have well and truly pushed me over the edge and I've booked an appointment for next tuesday - will post a pic of the new 'do then :)

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I'm having a fantastic hair day today, ladies! I set my hair so I could put my hair up in the "For the Boys" 'do, if any of your are familiar with Lauren Rennell's first vintage hairstyling book. The front looks fantastic and I actually got my first pair of semi even victory rolls in under 15 minutes (it does help to curl them to get a bend so I used 1 inch foam rollers set overnight). The back is not the best, my hair is not like the models in that I have longer layers and a shorter cut so I might just have to stick with buns or braids of some sort rather than small buns with dry pin curls over them.

6436644393_c3842af9a4_z.jpg

6436644737_7bc05be638_z.jpg

6436657763_0477ef8be5_z.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
Retro, I am digg'in those curls in the back too! I am going to have to steal that look, if I can. :D

I left my hair straight today but put some rolls in. I was going to thin out my bangs a bit and had let the top layer grow out. The other day I curled the grown out part forward and really liked the look. I trimmed them so the top layer is may half inch longer than the bottom (or what is closest to my foreheard) and have been wearing them forward again. I just like the way they look now, guess I had been cutting my "betty bangs" wrong or something. :p
IMG-20111201-00354.jpg

IMG-20111201-00360.jpg

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Retro, I am digg'in those curls in the back too! I am going to have to steal that look, if I can. :D

I left my hair straight today but put some rolls in. I was going to thin out my bangs a bit and had let the top layer grow out. The other day I curled the grown out part forward and really liked the look. I trimmed them so the top layer is may half inch longer than the bottom (or what is closest to my foreheard) and have been wearing them forward again. I just like the way they look now, guess I had been cutting my "betty bangs" wrong or something. :p
IMG-20111201-00354.jpg

IMG-20111201-00360.jpg

You have perfect Betty bangs.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars

Oh I'm sure you could pull it off, you do rolls so well! I don't have bangs, so I just put in small foam rollers to make the hair at my crown bouncy and just pinned them in various places but I bet you could do something fabulous with your Bettie bangs. I let my hair down in the back today to readjust some pins that were poking out and I realized that even just curling the back portion would still look nice if you didn't want to do a full updo.

Thanks again, girls for all the compliments. :)

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Retro GI Jane, SheBear, Amy Jeanne - your styles look great! I'm quite envious. Amy Jeanne, I wore my bangs in a similar roll/curl yesterday at work (didn't take any photos though :() and got an overall decent response. One guy kept looking at my roll while he talked to me, lol, but other than that, it was positive. The problem I have is listening to my teenage daughter. I'll do a retro style (she abhors all retro styles) while she shakes her head. We joke about it and she keeps her thoughts to herself, but I know she doesn't approve. She's 17 and although she thinks she's a fashion trailblazer, she doesn't see the point in her mom trying to be I guess. Sometimes I don't care, but sometimes my insecurities are already high and her opinion (even unexpressed) is enough to make me second guess a decision. I need to just press on and ignore her. One day when she's my age she'll remember this and appreciate me for walking to my own beat. Any other ladies had similar issues?

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Retro GI Jane, SheBear, Amy Jeanne - your styles look great! I'm quite envious. Amy Jeanne, I wore my bangs in a similar roll/curl yesterday at work (didn't take any photos though :() and got an overall decent response. One guy kept looking at my roll while he talked to me, lol, but other than that, it was positive. The problem I have is listening to my teenage daughter. I'll do a retro style (she abhors all retro styles) while she shakes her head. We joke about it and she keeps her thoughts to herself, but I know she doesn't approve. She's 17 and although she thinks she's a fashion trailblazer, she doesn't see the point in her mom trying to be I guess. Sometimes I don't care, but sometimes my insecurities are already high and her opinion (even unexpressed) is enough to make me second guess a decision. I need to just press on and ignore her. One day when she's my age she'll remember this and appreciate me for walking to my own beat. Any other ladies had similar issues?

Awww, thanks, Clabbergirl! I have a four year old and for now she thinks me in my curlers and pin curls is fun and tells me she likes them all the time, however I'm sure there will come a time she will be embarrassed to be seen with me. ;) I seem to recall when I was a pre-teen, my mom did some weird curls to bangs we had and my sisters and I hated it but when I look back on it now, it was a semi-vintage look and I'm sorry it took me so long to feel comfortable dressing vintage instead of having an interest in it from a historical perspective. A lesson in life I'm sure and I don't doubt your daughter will realize it eventually too. :)

wahine

Practically Family
Ladies, you look fabulous as usual! SheBear, I love your bangs and esp. your rolls
(do you still call them Victory rolls when they're on top of your head instead of on the sides?)!

The other day, I tried standing pin curls for the first time. I expected it to come out real bad because I thought the curls'd get all crushed when sleeping on them. But the result wasn't half as bad as I had expected.

before

after

Although I think it's not too bad, I still like the flat pin curls better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy