Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Can someone post a pic/youtube tutorial on making rolls? Different kinds if you can. I would be SO grateful. :eek:
A girl from the old lj community vintage_hair posted a youtube one, but she keeps a roller insode her rolls and that looks weird IMO.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Etienne said:
Daisy, I've been trying to PM you 4 times to ask you this question, and the site keeps telling me I'm not logged in!!! Anyway, my question is: where did you find the purple Queen Helene setting lotion? I've been looking for that stuff!! Thanks!

Etienne

I'm so sorry!:(
I've been having problems with my PM's too.
Anyway, I'm a big dummy. The setting lotion that I have been using for the past 6 months is actually Lustrasilk Set & Style Lotion I got the Ultra Conditioning Mega-Body Texturizing Concentrate. I had been using Queen Helene, which I got at Sally Beauty Supply, but I ran out about 6 months ago and when I went to Sally to pick up more I must have grabbed the wrong bottle!! They are both purple with white writing. I can't believe I've been using a completely different product than I thought!
But, I'm pretty happy with it. I added some undiluted lotion to my curls this afternoon when they started to get a bit lame on me. My curls perked back up and my hair didn't feel crunchy or sticky. I did zap it with a low speed high heat hair dryer for about 30 seconds just to dry it. But, overall I'm very happy with the product.

I did just order 2 kinds of Lottabody lotions. I would have gotten the another bottle of the lotion I'm already using, but everybody keeps speaking so highly of Lottabody that I have to give it a shot.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The snood arrived!

l_2c2f55c9bac8a333208dce9ff7024aab.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pink, your do' came out great!
You're roll is so neat and perfect, I wish I could get my rolls that neat. I can if I use a curling iron, but I've been doing them by hand lately and they just don't have the perfect shape like yours.
The snood looks wonderful too. Well done!:eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, I picked up a tripple barrel curling iron at a thrift today that was still in the box! Anyhow, I have no idea how to use it. Does anyone use this and what kind of curl does it give?

I don't like to use a curling iron every day because I am afraid for my hair, but some nights I don't feel like putting my hair up in curlers and like to have an emergency backup. :D

Thanks in advance.

Kimberly

Practically Family
I forgot to add that I took JBD's advice and put rollers in my hair dry and then misted it with a mixture of setting gel and water. It really does make the hair easier to get into the curlers and they stay there easier as well. I was concerned about what the curl would look like but it came out fabulous! My hair was still nice and full at the end of the day too. It came out so good that way that I washed my hair tonight and put them in rollers after it was dry. Thanks JBD for the advise! It is so much more convenient and easier to do that way. :eusa_clap

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Kimberly said:
Okay, I picked up a tripple barrel curling iron at a thrift today that was still in the box! Anyhow, I have no idea how to use it. Does anyone use this and what kind of curl does it give?

I don't like to use a curling iron every day because I am afraid for my hair, but some nights I don't feel like putting my hair up in curlers and like to have an emergency backup. :D

Thanks in advance.

I'd be curious to know as well-- I always see those things and think to myself "How would you use such a contraption anyways?" They always look like funny crimpers to me. [huh]

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
First off -- hey y'all! Long time, no talk.

Second off -- I have thoroughly enjoyed skimming through and looking at the marvelous hairstyles y'all have developed. It really makes me miss my long hair! I had to cut it before I left for boot camp, and even though it's grown since then, it's not really long enough for decent victory rolls... which brings me to my questions:

1) Those of you with short (above the shoulder), layered hair: How do y'all do your hair? I can imagine that finger waves will still work (but they look more 20s than 40s with my hair this short), but I'm trying to find a solid WWII era look for this mop atop my head.

2) Before I left for boot camp, I remember seeing a post that actually had vintage hairstyles for women in uniform during the 40s (I think they were in the Waves), but for the life of me, I canNOT find the link on here now! Anyone out there remember where we stashed the thread?

-IL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou