Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedHotRidinHood said:
Ok, I am going to blow my mystique here...heeheehee...the faux flowers are sprigs off a large spray that I got at the dollar store! I took the little sprigs off, and I cut a tiny hole at the top of the tube-like part that slid onto the stem. Then I took a basic hairpin (not a bobby pin) and slid it into the tube, thereby making a hairpin with a flower sprig at the end of it! There are actually four in my hair; I like the flowers to be full-looking. Clips are really hard to get to stay in my hair, and this little idea I came up with looks nice when I put the flowers around a bun. That is what I was going for yesterday! So the flowers cost me about $1.25. I am very cheap! lol

If you didn't understand how I explained that, I can post a picture of the flowers. They are SO easy to make!

Thanks, I understand perfectly. I actually bought some very pretty Lily's and roses at the craft store that I was meaning to turn into barrettes, but I think I will do your idea instead. Pins stay in better and no hot glue to deal with. Thanks!:)

Nikki your hair came out wonderful! As always:)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Nikki, I've not really given the rolls a very enthusiastic try, I've given them a quick go, and noticed that I'd need a bunch more hair spray than I did before, so it will be a few more weeks before I can do any kind of rolls or twists. But lookings at the roll you did with the faux pony tail did give me an idea of what to do with my younger one for her formal hair for the her pageant!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Well, I did a wet set last night and am happy w/ the results. My hair is a lot longer than it was the last time I tried it so the results look better IMO. The only problem I continue to have are my bangs. I just can't get them right. [huh]

Does anyone else have a problem with their bangs and rollers?

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
My First Proper attempt at Wave Clamps!

Hello,

I've tried it, and I think it needs a bit of practice, but I'm goint to master this wave clamp thing! A box of 70 clamps of various sizes came in the post on Thursday and I've been itching to experiment with them.

For my next attempt I'm going to put an extra row of clamps in so that there is less space between the "peaks".

Any advice from you guys would as always be much appreciated!

S2400056.jpg

S2400059.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa Anne... Just remember that wave clamps are meant to set the wave, not create a wave. So before you put the clamp in, shape the wave in your hair and then place the clip in for it to dry. That should help with the spaceing and size of your wave. :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful... it looks like you already have a pretty good idea on how to start. :)

Vanessa Anne said:
Lolitahaze, I think I get what you are saying.:)

So thanks for that.

I'll have another go at it tomorrow night, I've since washed and straightened my hair for work tomorrow.

Etienne

A-List Customer
I remember my Mom working with our wet hair and using the heel of her hand to sort of encourage the wave as it dried a little bit. Then she would use the long clips to secure the spaces between the waves, if that makes any sense. She would sort of press with her palm edge and push at the hair gently to make those waves stand out. I distinctly recall my sister looking just like the Barbara Ann Bread girl (on the bread wrapper!) Very pretty!

Miss_Bella_Hell

You girls were asking about if my new short do worked with vintage, so here are some examples...I just pin-curled it. More pics then necessary, probably! lol
Up
DSCN1432.jpg

DSCN1435.jpg

Down
DSCN1441.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cute hair, Bella! Yours is pretty much the same length as mine and I have no problem with vintage styles. I can do updos (with enough bobby pins!). I just can't do rolls yet because those damned shaved under layers are still growing out and the sides underneath are still a bit shorter than the rest of my hair.

Did you have layers cut in?

Miss_Bella_Hell

KittyT said:
cute hair, Bella! Yours is pretty much the same length as mine and I have no problem with vintage styles. I can do updos (with enough bobby pins!). I just can't do rolls yet because those damned shaved under layers are still growing out and the sides underneath are still a bit shorter than the rest of my hair.

Did you have layers cut in?

Yup, so the hair isn't flat up top. Have you thought of just doing rolls with the hair that's at and in front of your ears? Or does that still expose the underneath?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Here is a style I did with barrel curls, trying to do something that looked even remotely 50s. I have the bandana on mostly because the bottom layers were shaved and the hair was still growing out underneath :)

barrel_curls.jpg

barrel_curls_back.jpg

Here's a pic of some side rolls I did when I still had everything shaved underneath. This is basically why I love my two-toned hair:

blackblond40s.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Yup, so the hair isn't flat up top. Have you thought of just doing rolls with the hair that's at and in front of your ears? Or does that still expose the underneath?

Everything underneath was shaved. The sides are the only part that's still growing out and they're almost there. They're just not long enough to make it into rolls yet - probably need another couple of months. So, for right now, I'm stuck wearing my hair down, or pulling it up and still tying a scarf or bandana around.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Hey ladies! I'm new here and I just wanted to say you all look fantastic!

I cut my tush-length hair yesterday up to my shoulders and had the stylist put rollers in it. The end result was more 60s, but the change was good, considering I've had loooong pin-straight hair for about ten years.

Once I figure out what to do with my 'do (heh), I'll get some pics up; you're all inspiration to me! lol

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
This was my general everyday look (mind you i'm in college and hair cannot take a lot of effort :)) before I chopped, pics of "the chop" to come! :D
012_12.jpg

haha, and, um, ignore the glasses...I wear them when I study as a joke. :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok BadMamaJama... the suspense is KILLING me!! I wanna see!

Kitty, I have always adored the bandana pic with curls. I would've never known it was shaved underneath! The rolls DO look awesome with the stripes! Your blond would be cute colored baby pink. Hey, then you'd match your bedroom! :D

Esther you are a doll. That dress is fab. It is MUCH like the vogue pattern I just picked up, 2943.

Bella your hair looks adorable and incredibly vintage. I love it! You need to stop being so pretty too!

Vanessa, love your red hair! You'll get the hang of the clips, just keep practicing!

Welcome Stace! Look forward to seeing your NEW do. Wow, 10 years of long hair. I bet you feel light headed from having it cut!

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael