Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Smuterella

One Too Many
you look great Fleur! Hope the day didn't leave you too exhausted.

Here is my hair (by Leila at Nina's Vintage and Retro hair) on Friday. With pinning each night so far its lasted another two days

excuse the large pic and the goofy smile

2008_09260002.jpg

Starry

New in Town

@ Fleur De Guerre,It turned out simply amazing! You look just like the 1st photo.

@Smuterella,I love the look.So exquisite!...and you don't have a goofy smile.

:)

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
So, I tried doing a pageboy for the very first time, using curing iron (thin barrel).
I just curled the hair inwards and kept tightening and untightening it near the scalp and then I slowly unrolled it..
Then i combed it inwards and gave it a spray of good ol' Elnett...
I didn't work out 100%, but I still like it!
Do any of you other gals have a good pageboy technique (especially for longer hair?? If not I'll just have to cut it!)?

2896053381_166452eb74.jpg

Fleur - You're simply gorgeous... You really look like a silver screen siren!

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Victory Rolls the cheats way

I know people keep asking for help to do Victory rolls, so I thought I'd post this one here. I did this little tutorial the other day for my blog. They aren't authentic victory rolls, but they give the overall impression with only about 30 seconds work! Perfect when you are in a huge hurry or need a quick fix after a big night out. It helps to have thick hair for this one, but if not, using a little thickening spray in the hair before working with it should give you the same result.

My 30 second Victory Rolls

Tatum

Practically Family
Fleur, you look amazing!

Tinseltown, have you tried a wet set? I try to cheat with iron/rollers/heating things and it never lasts, but when I set it, it makes a huge difference.

Great tutorial, SuperKawaiiMama! Maybe I can get some better rolls with that technique!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Tatum said:
Fleur, you look amazing!

Tinseltown, have you tried a wet set? I try to cheat with iron/rollers/heating things and it never lasts, but when I set it, it makes a huge difference.

Great tutorial, SuperKawaiiMama! Maybe I can get some better rolls with that technique!
No I haven't... I've tried out another wet set but it didn't turn out well enough to post.. I am still a novice! ;) Do you have a specific pattern for a pageboy?
And yeah, it didn't last - But playing with your hair is always fun! :D

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
:eek: Fleur, Smuterella, Tinseltown, SuperKawaiiMama, it's too much! TOO MUCH BEAUTY! You are all spectacular screen sirens, my eyes can't take any more! Mercy!

P.S. Tinseltown, maybe this will help: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28732

Unfortunately one of the links mentioned is down (Nocturne) but the other links and tips might help. I've found that the typical 40s do with curls at the nape of the neck easily can be brushed out with a paddle brush into a page boy, especially after a few days added grease. (Your hair shoud be cut in a middy.) You start out with curls, and after a few days end up with a pageboy! Read the other gals tips though, they know hair better than me.
Oops, forgot to say that I use hot carmen curlers or a cold velcro curler set, both with setting lotion.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Thanks you guys, and ditto to what cherry_lips said about the other fabulous ladies! :D

Laura Chase: it's a repro I got from TopRunway, it's made from the picture of the Hollywood pattern that Snookie made her two-tone dress dress from (with her permission).

Hollywood737White.gif

Madeleinne: it was just a portfolio shoot, just for fun!

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
CherryRed said:
I finally got around to take some pics of my set with my new hair cut. I had layers put it about a month ago and it has made my curls so much more balanced. I am also in the process of going back to my natural red hair color after doing brunette for 2 years.
This set was done with hot sticks which seem to work the best for me.
DSCF2127.jpg

I know this post is from a while ago, but I never noticed that we have the same exact dress. How superb! That dress is one of my absolute favorites. Not to mention, your hair looks great!

Lillemor

One Too Many
SuperKawaiiMama said:
I know people keep asking for help to do Victory rolls, so I thought I'd post this one here. I did this little tutorial the other day for my blog. They aren't authentic victory rolls, but they give the overall impression with only about 30 seconds work! Perfect when you are in a huge hurry or need a quick fix after a big night out. It helps to have thick hair for this one, but if not, using a little thickening spray in the hair before working with it should give you the same result.

My 30 second Victory Rolls

Thanks for posting that. It's very similar to what I used to do sometimes in my teens before I had ten thumbs. I hadn't heard of victory rolls back then, it just "happened" by coincidence and I liked how it had a slimming effect on my face and it looked polished with my dress suits and pumps I liked to wear to high school (very uncool in the grunge days). I used some clips,barettes or whatever I had on hand and I used to french twist the back and secure it with a pencil for high school days.lol

I didn't think there was anything special about the style so I never had it photographed and back then people didn't carry cameras with them every where.

Tatum

Practically Family
Tinseltown said:
No I haven't... I've tried out another wet set but it didn't turn out well enough to post.. I am still a novice! ;) Do you have a specific pattern for a pageboy?
And yeah, it didn't last - But playing with your hair is always fun! :D

Novice here too, but I am finding out what works for me and what doesn't, and I went for pageboys for almost a week during finals, as I could be a bit lazier for the set (and have more time to study)!

What I have found works the best for me is medium foam rollers, with the hair rolled over the roller. I have tried pillow rollers, but the back of my hair is the hardest to get a good set out of.

I made you a little diagram of what I usually do in the back; the top of the top roller is usually about even with the top of my ear, or a bit higher. The crown and front get pillowed, pincurled or whatever I feel like that day! The tricky part, I find, is getting the right curl where the pageboy starts curving back towards the face near the ears.

pageboy.png

Here is the best pic I have gotten so far of one using that set, it was before I REALLY brushed it out. Pardon the "deer-in-headlights", and the monkeys!

p9162070.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24