Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Militaria

DSCF0861.jpg

DSCF0854.jpg

Binary Blue

New in Town
I have a small collection.
I took these pics at different times for a different forum:

Mk5 Turtle Helmet from 1987:
ibtPMtX6pXarJr.jpg

Belgian Greatcoat from 1967:
Front:
iHHiwRoXM10bO.jpg

Back:
ibblHmrAG3Q71R.jpg

And something I found in its right pocket:
iPojSIjeHgyZN.jpg

Some NATO Cold Weather shirt:
iPMlz80dBogLI.jpg

Swiss Jacket:
igSbXe2avBiSS.jpg

And 2 "tabs" I found in its right chest pocket:
iTBbRc92Xolmo.jpg

They're supposed to be slipped onto the "straps" on the shoulders from what I can tell.

Some Swiss soldier must have spilled a few drops of his drink onto the jacket so there were a few stains on it when it arrived. Luckily, I managed to remove them using a rag with warm water and some dish soap.

Pattern 37 British Battledress Shirt that was sent to Greece:
ibxo3tOtHgOr7Z.jpg

Anyone know where I can get the trousers for a reasonable price?

And here's some stuff I bought at the Del Mar gun show in San Diego:
ibgfQcWU5EOUYR.jpg

The green beret is from the South African Engineering Corps.
The pouches are from a Pattern 37 Webbing set. Anyone know where I can get the belt?
And the gas mask is a Russian Civilian GP-5.

I got to handle tons of old WW2 rifles that day. It was awesome.

Last edited:

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Here are my military caps:

US Army Engineer Officer Cap (Bancroft manufacture)

1000938m.jpg

US Army Engineer Officer Cap (Kingform manufacture)

1000936g.jpg

East German NCO Police Cap (1968 Dated)

0000056l.jpg

East German Air Force Officer Cap (1982 Dated)

0000052s.jpg

Soviet Army Officer Field Cap (1977 Dated)

0000045a.jpg

West German Air Force Officer Cap (1991 Dated)

0000042n.jpg

I also have a Soviet Infantry General's Service Cap and a Soviet Navy Captain 1st Rank Winter Cap but unfortunately have not taken pictures of those!

Oooohhh! Nice caps! :thumb:
I'm looking for an Army Dress Blue Aviation cap (either current or USAAF) and the Soviet Air Force officer's visor cap (service dress version). For some reason the parade version is more common.

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Ah, I forgot I do have a Soviet Air Force service cap! It is actually a rather interesting one because it is made by a unique (I believe) maker. It was most likely made shortly after the fall of the Soviet Union by an early privatized shop. It is also a pinhead size of 54 which is kind of unfortunate! I will try to take some pictures of it soon.

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
I am not really familiar with South American items but that does look like a really nice cap! Here is my Soviet Air Force Officer Cap. As you may see it is missing its star on the wings, don't really know what happened there! Also it has a wide 2 inch sweatband, an interesting makers-label, and a patent leather visor (only seen on General caps!) So all of these lead me to believe it is a very early transitional period cap, private made, during the sketchy time between Soviet Union and Russian Federation.

1001095yn.jpg

1001096eo.jpg

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Yes that is true. Except general officers had leather sweatbands that were cream colored like this one. But on my cap they are cream colored but are not leather! So it is another special feature on this one!

OG-107 named to Lt.Col. William C. Redeen, USAF
Born: 17 July 1923, Whitefish Bay (Milwaukee), Wisconsin
Died: 9 November 1996, Reston, Virginia

Lt.Col. Redeen (front row, third from left), a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam, flew A-1 Skyraiders and F-105s. Interestingly on his 1942 draft registration card he listed his civilian occupation as "Actor."

e23_zps7328ae69-1_zps0ca08111.jpg

DSCF1137_zpsc7fed861-1_zps4be1d789.jpg

DSCF1134_zps46aa798f-1_zps9a84899b.jpg

DSCF1136_zps7ced4c64-1_zps90a1259a.jpg

DSCF1133_zps304fe24c-1_zps5cfc8f89.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Familiar Face

Lt.Col. Redeen (front row, third from left), a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam, flew A-1 Skyraiders and F-105s. Interestingly on his 1942 draft registration card he listed his civilian occupation as "Actor."

DSCF1134_zps46aa798f-1_zps9a84899b.jpg

Do you have information on Colonel Redeen's career? I am interested to see how an Air Force officer was able to become jump qualified.

In my research I found that Col. Redeen was a FAC in Korea so he might have been attached to the 187th Airborne RCT. I enlarged the group pic and could detect a smaller badge below his wings on the nametag of his flight jacket which corresponds to the shirt.

Captain Nemo

Familiar Face
In my research I found that Col. Redeen was a FAC in Korea so he might have been attached to the 187th Airborne RCT. I enlarged the group pic and could detect a smaller badge below his wings on the nametag of his flight jacket which corresponds to the shirt.

That would make sense. AF personnel assigned to Army Airborne outfits would have to get jump qualified. I thought it could be that, or he had started off as a Paratrooper in the Army and later transferred to the AF and learned to fly airplanes.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi V. C.

Check out the NARA archives of WW2 enlistment records. There's a drop down menu of the various "previous civilian employment" you can look at.

My Father volunteered to join the USAAC in July 1941 in Peoria Illinois. Dad graduated from Western State Teacher's College (Now Western Illinois University) in May of 1941 and decided to join the USAAC Weather Squadrons since his favorite professor taught Meteorology. Dad was unemployed when he joined up. I didn't find Unemployed in the list of previous civilian employment, but Motion Picture Actor is 002, and there is no 001. I'm pretty sure that Dad was listed as a Motion Picture Actor because his recruiter didn't want to look up the number for unemployed. I bet the Colonel is in the same boat.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR